U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 05:02 PM

9 posts, read 5,485 times

Advertisements

I really like the Atlanta suburbs since there are a lot of nice areas with good schools. However, I constantly see complaints about Atlanta's traffic whenever I research. Are there any suburbs without bad local traffic ( not commuting) because I'm able to work remotely. Sometimes I vet the impression that the traffic in Atlanta is so bad thatbtheres even traffic to the local market of your local suburb and that terrifies me. Which Atlanta suburbs do not have bad traffic within (Dacula, Peachtree City, Cummings, Buford, Duluth....?)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 05:45 PM

1,137 posts, read 473,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robalob View Post
I really like the Atlanta suburbs since there are a lot of nice areas with good schools. However, I constantly see complaints about Atlanta's traffic whenever I research. Are there any suburbs without bad local traffic ( not commuting) because I'm able to work remotely. Sometimes I vet the impression that the traffic in Atlanta is so bad thatbtheres even traffic to the local market of your local suburb and that terrifies me. Which Atlanta suburbs do not have bad traffic within (Dacula, Peachtree City, Cummings, Buford, Duluth....?)?
Most of any suburb / exburb on the North side of Atlanta is going to be pretty rough and then anyth-- --Actually I'll just summarize it for you...

No.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:54 PM

12,914 posts, read 19,792,997 times
Please share if you find one.

Nah, if you aren't a commuter, traffic is bearable in the suburbs. Just avoid the main arteries between 7:00-10:00 am, and 4:00-7:00 pm. That will give you 5 hours to run your errands without too much strife. And, once you learn the back roads, it will be almost like living in the rest of the country.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:09 PM

71 posts, read 25,979 times
The southern suburbs are slower paced and don't have much traffic.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:50 PM

13,103 posts, read 15,911,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
The southern suburbs are slower paced and don't have much traffic.
LOL LOL LOL!

Compared to the northern suburbs maybe, but the traffic is still bad — especially in Henry County and increasingly in Newnan and Coweta County. It’s even getting bad in Fayette County, where the running joke in Peachtree City is ... for a planned community, they sure didn’t plan very well! Backups at the GA 74 / 54 intersection are the stuff of legend and there is no easy solution in sight. Ditto GA 74 North at I-85, GA 34 between PTC and Newnan, and the GA 54-85 intersection in downtown Fayetteville.

The main problem on the southside (just as it is on the Northside) is the lack of east-west connections. Almost all the main highways run in a general north-south direction. GA 54 is the ONLY major east-west connection across the entire South Metro area, from Coweta County all the way to Henry County — and a shocking number of people commute back and forth between the two. All that traffic passes right through the heart of both Fayetteville and Peachtree City. While the majority of Fayette County residents commute north out of the county for work every day, thousands of people from Henry, Clayton, Coweta and South Fulton commute INTO Fayette County for johs ... which means people are coming and going from all directions.

The biggest advantage South Metro has over the Northside is quicker access to the airport and road trips south to places like Florida and Savannah. I drive between Savannah and Fayette County frequently and I’m always grateful to get off I-75 before I reach Henry County. If my final destination was Cobb or Gwinnett, the drive would easily take an extra hour to 90 minutes or more.

Last edited by Newsboy; 03-31-2018 at 08:00 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 08:39 PM

583 posts, read 318,214 times
I was in Atlanta last Thursday for an interview in Buckhead. When I got ready to leave to head back to Birmingham at 12:30, there was some kind of accident on 400 south and my navigation was telling me to drive through the suburbs to the west in order to drive back to Birmingham. I think there was also bad traffic in downtown.

It took me 40 minutes to get from Buckhead to 285. I had to go down West Paces Ferry Road, Moores Hill Road and Bolton road. This was only a distance of 10 miles.

At several red lights along the way, I had to wait through 2 and sometimes 3 lights to get through. So even in the middle of the day, it took me 40 minutes to drive 10 miles. So I don't think it matters whether it's rush hour our not.

Just sharing.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:59 PM

1,137 posts, read 473,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
I was in Atlanta last Thursday for an interview in Buckhead. When I got ready to leave to head back to Birmingham at 12:30, there was some kind of accident on 400 south and my navigation was telling me to drive through the suburbs to the west in order to drive back to Birmingham. I think there was also bad traffic in downtown.

It took me 40 minutes to get from Buckhead to 285. I had to go down West Paces Ferry Road, Moores Hill Road and Bolton road. This was only a distance of 10 miles.

At several red lights along the way, I had to wait through 2 and sometimes 3 lights to get through. So even in the middle of the day, it took me 40 minutes to drive 10 miles. So I don't think it matters whether it's rush hour our not.

Just sharing.
Yeah, sounds about right.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:12 PM

13,103 posts, read 15,911,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post

Just sharing.
At least you saw a lot of pretty real estate

Old 04-01-2018, 10:37 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,818,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
LOL LOL LOL!

Compared to the northern suburbs maybe, but the traffic is still bad ó especially in Henry County and increasingly in Newnan and Coweta County. Itís even getting bad in Fayette County, where the running joke in Peachtree City is ... for a planned community, they sure didnít plan very well! Backups at the GA 74 / 54 intersection are the stuff of legend and there is no easy solution in sight. Ditto GA 74 North at I-85, GA 34 between PTC and Newnan, and the GA 54-85 intersection in downtown Fayetteville.

The main problem on the southside (just as it is on the Northside) is the lack of east-west connections. Almost all the main highways run in a general north-south direction. GA 54 is the ONLY major east-west connection across the entire South Metro area, from Coweta County all the way to Henry County ó and a shocking number of people commute back and forth between the two. All that traffic passes right through the heart of both Fayetteville and Peachtree City. While the majority of Fayette County residents commute north out of the county for work every day, thousands of people from Henry, Clayton, Coweta and South Fulton commute INTO Fayette County for johs ... which means people are coming and going from all directions.

The biggest advantage South Metro has over the Northside is quicker access to the airport and road trips south to places like Florida and Savannah. I drive between Savannah and Fayette County frequently and Iím always grateful to get off I-75 before I reach Henry County. If my final destination was Cobb or Gwinnett, the drive would easily take an extra hour to 90 minutes or more.
GA 138 is actually the true major east-west connection on the southside. GA 54 doesnít even go into Henry County.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:15 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,254,477 times
GA 54 basically becomes a North/South Artery in Downtown Jonesboro where it becomes "North Main Street" (Jonesboro) and then "Jonesboro Road" through Morrow, Lake City, and Forest Park and across 285 into Southeast Atlanta becoming the major artery for the Lakewood Heights community before petering out around McDonough Boulevard/ University Ave just north of the Lakewood Heights community retail district ( Also known as "Downtown Lakewood") Really is is only "kind of" east west between Jonesboro through Fayetteville to the "cusp" of Peachtree City where it once again becomes north/ south in orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta