U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 06:37 PM

980 posts, read 550,807 times

Advertisements

Aldi is the ****. Love Aldi
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 07:13 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,040,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I've heard it's pretty nice. As shopping preferences change, I think ALDI could do well in Buckhead. If you're using a meal service, Whole Foods & farmer's market for meat and produce, Trader Joe's for frozen stuff, no reason not to go to Aldi to buy your paper goods and junk food. It seems close to the Kroger but I'd go to Aldi any day to avoid Piedmont--you can access the Aldi location from Maple Dr.
I feel confident you will like it. I usually get chocolate there, snacks, a few produce (I feel their produce at least at the locations I frequent, are more fresh than other grocery stores), etc. Though I usually just grab one or two things, I legit see people do a kart full of stuff. The cashiers are ridiculously fast. I was offered a job there because I think they start at 15 bucks an hour where I am but when I see how fast they check people out and stock, I have to wonder what kind of pressure they're under to get things done.

The only negative I can think of is the lines. Sometimes there aren't too many cashiers but like I said, they are so fast. Patience is a virtue and the only other store I know of that doesn't have bad lines, is Publix. Most other grocery stores usually have a line AND they don't go nearly as fast as Aldi. I haven't heard anyone say they don't shop at Aldi because of the lines. I've only heard positive things.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:51 PM

2,124 posts, read 3,393,533 times
Aldi got me through some tough times around the time that I initially made this account. I still shop with them as a result of it.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:22 AM

213 posts, read 213,284 times
So I’m the only one that has heard a snobbish attitude towards ALDI? I’ve heard it a number of times. The Aldi in Peachtree City is almost always practically empty when I go in there. There is this forum on another website for PTC people and they had a fit when they realized ALDI was going into its current location. The one lady I referenced earlier was stating how Aldi was for poor people and didn’t belong in PTC, but said she rather see a “Trader Joes” or Whole Foods move in the area. While Whole Foods is a whole different animal....Aldi = Trader Joe’s under a different name. Almost like some snobbish people who own Lexus that really think they have something more than A fancy Toyota.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:31 AM

28,134 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
So Iím the only one that has heard a snobbish attitude towards ALDI? Iíve heard it a number of times.
Never heard that. I thought they were some fancy Euro-grocer.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:25 AM

22,161 posts, read 16,163,004 times
Quote:
So Iím the only one that has heard a snobbish attitude towards ALDI? Iíve heard it a number of times. The Aldi in Peachtree City is almost always practically empty when I go in there. There is this forum on another website for PTC people and they had a fit when they realized ALDI was going into its current location. The one lady I referenced earlier was stating how Aldi was for poor people and didnít belong in PTC, but said she rather see a ďTrader JoesĒ or Whole Foods move in the area. While Whole Foods is a whole different animal....Aldi = Trader Joeís under a different name. Almost like some snobbish people who own Lexus that really think they have something more than A fancy Toyota.
Yes I have heard and seen it.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes I have heard and seen it.
Snobbish based on what, though? They are European and haven't their stores often been in relatively affluent areas? I know several big bucks people who shop there.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:13 PM

22,161 posts, read 16,163,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Snobbish based on what, though? They are European and haven't their stores often been in relatively affluent areas? I know several big bucks people who shop there.
The same way there is a stigma against people riding buses. It doesn't make sense, but it's there.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:12 PM

213 posts, read 213,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree they have mostly built their stores in pretty stable areas. Iím not sure exactly where the Stigma comes from. Maybe itís the fact that you can shop at Aldi so cheaply? Aldi is great and I really doubt Aldi and Trader Joeís are importing much of their food from completely different sources. There would be no more way to sale so cheaply if that was the case. To me both have quality food, but Aldi has the cheaper prices being that Trader Joeís has made a name in more of a niche market. I canít go into Aldi without stocking up on their thin mint cookies and Winking Owl wine! It also great for me that The PTC store seems to stay empty, I just wonder if the store will survive?

Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I agree they have mostly built their stores in pretty stable areas. Iím not sure exactly where the Stigma comes from. Maybe itís the fact that you can shop at Aldi so cheaply? Aldi is great and I really doubt Aldi and Trader Joeís are importing much of their food from completely different sources. There would be no more way to sale so cheaply if that was the case. To me both have quality food, but Aldi has the cheaper prices being that Trader Joeís has made a name in more of a niche market. I canít go into Aldi without stocking up on their thin mint cookies and Winking Owl wine! It also great for me that The PTC store seems to stay empty, I just wonder if the store will survive?
The thing is, though, well-to-do people love a bargain as much as anybody else. I know a number of well-heeled types who cruise out to Sandy Springs to shop at Aldi. They may also shop at Publix and Costco and Whole Foods for some items, but snobbery isn't part of the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or