U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 04:48 AM

1,137 posts, read 472,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Oh yeah...student loans are a trillion++ problem. It's prevented many millennials from buying homes, especially since during the recession and after, plenty could not get a job and so were not able to pay off debt. I wish Atlanta offered higher wages for your industry because no one should have to move because of low salary but I am glad you found better elsewhere.

It does seem like a lot of people are happy rents are increasing but look at the people and you will understand why. I hope Atlanta doesn't get anywhere near to where San Fran is in terms of cost of living. When the poor can't afford to live in the city and have to commute from how far and live with how many roommates, to me it's no longer a city worth living in. A city should value all its residents and not just the wealthy.
It's unlikely Atlanta will hit the rates of which San Francisco is (currently the most expensive city to live in the entire country.) and likewise Los Angeles. I am in the belief it will cap somewhere north of what it costs currently to live in Chicago and probably just slightly south of what it costs to live in Miami.

Median home price in Atlanta is about $185k currently but its actually fairly difficult to find AVAILABLE homes at that price.

Median home price in Chicago is $186k , meaning currently Atlanta and Chicago are almost identical in COL as far as housing is concerned..almost..I still think Atlanta is cheaper but I won't be surprised to see that change.

Median home price in Miami is around $313k...

Median home price in San Francisco is around $1,500,000

Alot of stuff would have to happen for this city to even eclipse HALF the CoL of San Francisco...and trust me when I say if it even came close to HALF of the CoL, the things that would incur to bring it there would not be good things for any of us...let me re-emphasis to say this is NOT something we want.

I don't realistically see it happening as for Atlanta touching California style prices. If it did, it would be a LONG shot..and I mean long.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-04-2018 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 05:52 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It's unlikely Atlanta will hit the rates of which San Francisco is (currently the most expensive city to live in the entire country.) and likewise Los Angeles. I am in the belief it will cap somewhere north of what it costs currently to live in Chicago and probably just slightly south of what it costs to live in Miami.

Median home price in Atlanta is about $185k currently but its actually fairly difficult to find AVAILABLE homes at that price.

Median home price in Chicago is $186k , meaning currently Atlanta and Chicago are almost identical in COL as far as housing is concerned..almost..I still think Atlanta is cheaper but I won't be surprised to see that change.

Median home price in Miami is around $313k...

Median home price in San Francisco is around $1,500,000

Alot of stuff would have to happen for this city to even eclipse HALF the CoL of San Francisco...and trust me when I say if it even came close to HALF of the CoL, the things that would incur to bring it there would not be good things for any of us...let me re-emphasis to say this is NOT something we want.

I don't realistically see it happening as for Atlanta touching California style prices. If it did, it would be a LONG shot..and I mean long.
Dude...I care that house prices/rent are increasing but I still see myself moving out of state/going abroad. For me it wouldn't be because of Atlanta/the Metro area's cost of living/wages (althoughyears from now it may be a factor). I haven't figured out how I'll live abroad as I am no longer doing education but so far I'm considering working for a multinational company based in the U.S. If I could find one in Atlanta, that would be ideal as I'd start in Atlanta and then request a transfer or maybe I could move to another city and then transfer.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:04 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,391,623 times
Quote:
Dude...I care that house prices/rent are increasing but I still see myself moving out of state/going abroad. For me it wouldn't be because of Atlanta/the Metro area's cost of living/wages (althoughyears from now it may be a factor). I haven't figured out how I'll live abroad as I am no longer doing education but so far I'm considering working for a multinational company based in the U.S. If I could find one in Atlanta, that would be ideal as I'd start in Atlanta and then request a transfer or maybe I could move to another city and then transfer.
I was just granted the ability to work from home full time. Can't lie, seriously considering leaving.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:41 PM

4,111 posts, read 3,402,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I was just granted the ability to work from home full time. Can't lie, seriously considering leaving.
Where would you go? Somewhere cheaper?

Old 04-04-2018, 08:33 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,984,653 times
Modera Morningside (now Morningside Atlanta by Windsor) is offering 2 months free rent on 12 month leases.

They have studios as low as $1300, less than mine at Biltmore at Midtown, and amortized free month 1 or 2 would lower that further.

This suggests rental rates might have peaked.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:25 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Modera Morningside (now Morningside Atlanta by Windsor) is offering 2 months free rent on 12 month leases.

They have studios as low as $1300, less than mine at Biltmore at Midtown, and amortized free month 1 or 2 would lower that further.

A $200/month discount on rent ain't bad.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:55 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post

Do whatever makes you happy. Some people love Atlanta and some after many years of trying to love Atlanta, find that there's something missing. To each their own.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

As low as for a studio and 1300 dollars a month just doesn't resonate with me.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Do whatever makes you happy. Some people love Atlanta and some after many years of trying to love Atlanta, find that there's something missing. To each their own.
Atlanta is cool but to be honest the only selling point for me was the low cost of living.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:46 AM

5,361 posts, read 4,886,734 times
Metro Atlanta real estate executive Norman Radow, CEO and founder of multifamily housing development firm RADCO, says that rising Intown rents are causing some Millennials to move to the suburbs in search of lower housing costs and a suburban lifestyle that they are comfortable with from growing up there...

"Q&A: Real estate investor raps metro Atlanta’s ‘suburban renaissance’
...“Most millennials grew up in the suburbs, and they are comfortable there,” says Norman Radow" (Curbed Atlanta)
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/4/9/...an-renaissance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta