U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 05:36 PM

10 posts, read 6,404 times

Advertisements

And he usually works 7-3ish and does some work from home. I work from home solely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 07:20 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekalin View Post
And he usually works 7-3ish and does some work from home. I work from home solely.
Awesome! Haha...see...that's why it's never good to make assumptions. With hours like that, your husband won't experience the same rush hour others do. I live in the boonies and I can tell you that usually traffic doesn't get really bad until after 6:30 a.m. (and trust me my definition of bad traffic is okay traffic to others). Your husband might leave a bit earlier and have a nice commute. I haven't really driven downtown that early too often but I think if he were to leave right after 6 a.m., he would reach downtown before 7 with time to spare.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:45 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Vinings really seems to be a good starting point, although it's not entirely outside of the Magic Perimeter. It would afford relatively easy access to GA Tech and the Westside; it also affords you an attractive, family friendly environment.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...82_rect/11_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/11_zm/0_mmm/

Old 04-04-2018, 06:36 AM

4,514 posts, read 3,774,014 times
Its hard to buy a SFH in Vinings for $500K or less in a desirable school district.

Other areas to consider may be the housing areas around Harrison HS in Acworth - Brookstone,Burnt Hickory, etc. -- only a bit further out, but along the I75 corridor and express lanes, as opposed to the trudge up and down Ga 400. Lots of home choices up there.

Also consider a pocket of Chamblee that's nestled up to Brookhaven called Sexton Woods -- close to Marist School, tend to be starter homes, lots of renovated ranches and tri-levels, and very good schools, ITP, close to Perimeter Mall area.

There are also good options in Dunwoody under $500K, feeding into Austin and Vanderlyn Elementary.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:11 AM

10 posts, read 2,768 times
Quote:
That is an awesome situation to be in when moving to Atlanta! East cobb would be a good option. Woodstock is becoming super popular for young families. If you want new construction there is a ton of building going on in Canton. There are also some super affordable options for new construction in the North Paulding district. Acworth/Dallas border area.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 PM

17 posts, read 16,820 times
If I were in your shoes I'd look for something near North Springs station & then MARTA in to work.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:52 PM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,662,084 times
Quote:
Thanks guys! We prefer the suburbs really so thatís why OTP. I can be convinced but itís just been a preference especially with a family. How are the schools/family friendly options ITP?
There are a number of excellent elementary schools. Many on here will tell you otherwise, but middle schools are not very good and even the best high schools are uneven.

You are much more likely to find shopping and stuff to do with little kids OTP. When our kids were in elementary, we found ourselves going OTP for things frequently on weekends. Atlanta is just oriented for DINKS and singles.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:58 AM

538 posts, read 316,095 times
I'd suggest East Cobb (Walton, Pope, Lassiter districts) or North Fulton (Roswell, Alpharetta, John's Creek) on the northside. East Cobb and North Fulton have excellent schools, shopping and dinning options.

You could also look at Peachtree City. From the northside of Peachtree City to GA Tech is about 45 minutes in rush hour. Peachtree City is an upper middle class, master planned community with over 100 miles of golf cart paths about 20 minutes south of the airport. Your family can go anywhere in the city via golf cart. There are also a ton of parks and amenities, and it's a very safe, family friendly suburb. McIntosh High School also has the 5th highest average SAT scores in the state and 3rd highest for non magnet schools.

48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME

Old 04-12-2018, 10:04 AM

10 posts, read 6,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
I'd suggest East Cobb (Walton, Pope, Lassiter districts) or North Fulton (Roswell, Alpharetta, John's Creek) on the northside. East Cobb and North Fulton have excellent schools, shopping and dinning options.

You could also look at Peachtree City. From the northside of Peachtree City to GA Tech is about 45 minutes in rush hour. Peachtree City is an upper middle class, master planned community with over 100 miles of golf cart paths about 20 minutes south of the airport. Your family can go anywhere in the city via golf cart. There are also a ton of parks and amenities, and it's a very safe, family friendly suburb. McIntosh High School also has the 5th highest average SAT scores in the state and 3rd highest for non magnet schools.

48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME
Oh this sounds really nice. Iíll check it out. Thank you!

Old 04-12-2018, 02:10 PM

538 posts, read 316,095 times
Quote:
Oh this sounds really nice. Iíll check it out. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tV2b6rpBYk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta