Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 03:06 PM

10 posts, read 10,936 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are considering the area but I have questions before committing and I don't know where to start. We have young children (4 and 2) so I would like a suburb area with great schools, and lots of kid friendly parks, shopping, etc. I am not so worried about commute, more worried about living in a nice area for the kids. Rent wise I would say around or under 3k for a house, and I would eventually love to build a house (maybe just a builder neighborhood situation), cost wise to purchase/build I would say 500k give or take. Husband would most likely be working around the Georgia Tech area, plus we attend all home games already.

I would prefer to live OUTSIDE the perimeter.

Where do I start guys?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 03:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekalin View Post
Hello!

We are considering the area but I have questions before committing and I don't know where to start. We have young children (4 and 2) so I would like a suburb area with great schools, and lots of kid friendly parks, shopping, etc. I am not so worried about commute, more worried about living in a nice area for the kids. Rent wise I would say around or under 3k for a house, and I would eventually love to build a house (maybe just a builder neighborhood situation), cost wise to purchase/build I would say 500k give or take. Husband would most likely be working around the Georgia Tech area, plus we attend all home games already.

Where do I start guys?

Thanks!
East Cobb county or the Alpharetta area, if your husband is willing to do the commute. Far enough out where homes are still available at non-insane prices, and you'll be able to pay under $3K for a home to rent. Schools are among the best in Fulton county.

Alpharetta is extremely family-friendly and has lots of parks and walking trails.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:21 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Considering that your husband would be working at Tech and that much of your activity would center on that area, I guess my first question is: Why?

Old 04-03-2018, 03:27 PM

221 posts, read 189,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Considering that your husband would be working at Tech and that much of your activity would center on that area, I guess my first question is: Why?
Some people just love spending time in their cars!

Old 04-03-2018, 03:32 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Hello!

Where do I start guys?

Thanks!
East Cobb (the part of eastern Cobb County with Marietta and Roswell mailing addresses) is the first place that comes to find.

Some of the absolute best public schools in metro Atlanta, Georgia and the Southeastern U.S. can be found in the CCSD (Cobb County School District) clusters/feeder zones anchored by Walton, Pope, Lassiter, Wheeler and Sprayberry high schools.

There is also a sizable cluster of upscale retail options at and around the major intersection of GA 120 Roswell Road and Johnson Ferry Road (near Walton High School) in East Cobb while there is a large cluster of outdoor/indoor recreational options, dining and retail options at the major intersection of Sandy Plains and Shallowford roads near Lassiter High School in upper East Cobb.

East Cobb also provides good access to larger regional shopping/retail/commercial clusters at North and Northwest suburban metro Atlanta commercial districts like Cumberland, Town Center, Perimeter, Buckhead and the GA 400 North corridor.

Rush hour/peak-hour commutes into (and out of) the Georgia Tech/Midtown area from East Cobb are relatively much less challenging by way of I-75 (particularly south of the I-75/I-285 Cobb Cloverleaf interchange) than they are by way of GA 400 at this point in time.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Thanks guys! We prefer the suburbs really so that’s why OTP. I can be convinced but it’s just been a preference especially with a family. How are the schools/family friendly options ITP?

Old 04-03-2018, 05:06 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
East Cobb (the part of eastern Cobb County with Marietta and Roswell mailing addresses) is the first place that comes to find.

Some of the absolute best public schools in metro Atlanta, Georgia and the Southeastern U.S. can be found in the CCSD (Cobb County School District) clusters/feeder zones anchored by Walton, Pope, Lassiter, Wheeler and Sprayberry high schools.

There is also a sizable cluster of upscale retail options at and around the major intersection of GA 120 Roswell Road and Johnson Ferry Road (near Walton High School) in East Cobb while there is a large cluster of outdoor/indoor recreational options, dining and retail options at the major intersection of Sandy Plains and Shallowford roads near Lassiter High School in upper East Cobb.

East Cobb also provides good access to larger regional shopping/retail/commercial clusters at North and Northwest suburban metro Atlanta commercial districts like Cumberland, Town Center, Perimeter, Buckhead and the GA 400 North corridor.

Rush hour/peak-hour commutes into (and out of) the Georgia Tech/Midtown area from East Cobb are relatively much less challenging by way of I-75 (particularly south of the I-75/I-285 Cobb Cloverleaf interchange) than they are by way of GA 400 at this point in time.
East Cobb is known for their schools. Really good recommendation and information regarding traffic.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post

I believe the OP stated why when she said she wants a nice area for the kids. I know that not all of Atlanta is bad with crime but there are many suburbs OTP that are much safer. The OP's budget would be more limited if they chose the Atlanta area or anywhere near to Atlanta like Vinings, Dunwoody, etc. I am thinking the OP may be considering eventually buying a space their family can grow into and they will have an easier time of finding that OTP.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Some people just love spending time in their cars!
Sometimes sacrifices have to be made. We don't even know if the husband will work a typical 9-5. That's an assumption.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I believe the OP stated why when she said she wants a nice area for the kids. I know that not all of Atlanta is bad with crime but there are many suburbs OTP that are much safer. The OP's budget would be more limited if they chose the Atlanta area or anywhere near to Atlanta like Vinings, Dunwoody, etc. I am thinking the OP may be considering eventually buying a space their family can grow into and they will have an easier time of finding that OTP.
This exactly. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta