U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 04:24 PM

14,932 posts, read 26,635,658 times

Advertisements

Good Luck, Everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 04:29 PM

28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allikok View Post
They did, but I think we are passing. I don't want to send one there for one year and then have my youngest there alone for a long time. We are relo but going under contract in heards ferry/ridgeview/riverwood. We might go public or see if others have openings after the 14th
Sounds like you are sitting in the catbird's seat with great public schools nearby. Can't go too wrong with that trio.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:59 PM

60 posts, read 42,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmo View Post
We were waitlisted at W for fifth and sixth graders. I am absolutely crushed as this is the only private school we had liked. Anyone knows if there is any oppty to get accepted and what we should go. We are neither rich nor legacy and had no counselor help in putting together the applications.
Waitlists can move. Did you apply for financial assistance? Maybe there are a smaller number of openings for those in need of assistance. Just guessing. You do not need to be legacy and absolutely do not need to have a counselor put together you application. I would call and express interest, tell them it is your #1 choice and ask them if there is anything to do.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:08 PM

42 posts, read 19,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleboysrule View Post
Waitlists can move. Did you apply for financial assistance? Maybe there are a smaller number of openings for those in need of assistance. Just guessing. You do not need to be legacy and absolutely do not need to have a counselor put together you application. I would call and express interest, tell them it is your #1 choice and ask them if there is anything to do.
Aid is supposed to be need blind and done separately right? I guess for wait lists all that may be off the table. I agree that calling and writing and telling them you are their #1 is best chance. The non-expansion year will be tougher at W so you may end up with one getting off the waitlist and the other not getting off.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:56 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,798,205 times
For those of you waiting for 6th grade at W, I heard today that there were more legacy and/or sibling applicants then there were spaces. While that might be a slight exaggeration, there are siblings/legacies that were waitlisted. (if W isn't going to take a kid off the waitlist, they generally don't put them on it -- this isn't a gentle rejection kind of school).

Old 04-05-2018, 06:58 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,798,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmo View Post
We were waitlisted at W for fifth and sixth graders. I am absolutely crushed as this is the only private school we had liked. Anyone knows if there is any oppty to get accepted and what we should go. We are neither rich nor legacy and had no counselor help in putting together the applications.
I just posted this, but wanted to make sure you saw. It is my understanding that W had more siblings and legacy applicants for 6th grade than spaces. But I know of legacies and siblings who weren't accepted.

Did you receive a phone call or just a letter? If a phone call, what kind of feed back did you receive.

Fifth at W is tough as well because it isn't a real expansion grade and lots of parents apply early trying to avoid the 6th grade crunch.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
For those of you waiting for 6th grade at W, I heard today that there were more legacy and/or sibling applicants then there were spaces. While that might be a slight exaggeration, there are siblings/legacies that were waitlisted. (if W isn't going to take a kid off the waitlist, they generally don't put them on it -- this isn't a gentle rejection kind of school).
Awful. I had no idea it was so competitive for middle school. I had heard the numbers but never considered that siblings and legacies could fill all of the slots.

We got accepted into Pre-First. I guess we are definitely taking it.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:29 PM

I don't have any advice but wishing you all the best on that.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 340 times
My daughter is on the waitlist for 6th grade at Lovett and Pace. I have the same question too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or