U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2018, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Reputation: 12542

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
For now
CoD could certainly use the additional commercial tax base. Selling them on the idea is the challenge.
I believe that they took a run at this area a few years ago to no avail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2018, 11:50 AM
 
12,891 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I was just in Decatur yesterday and saw some pretty interesting stuff going down Church Street. They took down the Infiniti Dealership and are building a Whole Foods Market as well as several live work communities up till the shopping plaza right before U.S. 78.

Will be nice when it is all done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, the changes in that neighborhood are pretty dramatic. But that isn't a regular Whole Foods, it's one of their new '365 by Whole Foods.' They're much more affordable, and a different concept for them.

https://www.365bywholefoods.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
It's also in unincorporated DeKalb, not CoD...JFTR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
For now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
CoD could certainly use the additional commercial tax base. Selling them on the idea is the challenge.
I believe that they took a run at this area a few years ago to no avail.

Yep. That commercial-corridor tax cow also should've been annexed by CoD a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yep. That commercial-corridor tax cow also should've been annexed by CoD a long time ago.
Until a couple years ago, it was nothing but vacant car dealerships and underused parcels. It would have cost more to provide services than revenue brought in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 02:22 PM
 
12,891 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Until a couple years ago, it was nothing but vacant car dealerships and underused parcels. It would have cost more to provide services than revenue brought in.

cq, not totally and not always. I lived in that immediate area for four years. There has been useful commercial there (and along DeKalb Industrial) for a very long time. Suburban Plaza (the southern part of the area) has always been relatively vibrant, etc, etc.

Also, it is important to annex areas based on potential and developmental opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
cq, not totally and not always. I lived in that immediate area for four years. There has been useful commercial there (and along DeKalb Industrial) for a very long time. Suburban Plaza (the southern part of the area) has always been relatively vibrant, etc, etc.

Also, it is important to annex areas based on potential and developmental opportunities.
I'm going to call that area De-Indy for DeKalb Industrial Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 03:48 PM
 
12,891 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I'm going to call that area De-Indy for DeKalb Industrial Blvd.
That would not surprise me at all, Sir SoNo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
cq, not totally and not always. I lived in that immediate area for four years. There has been useful commercial there (and along DeKalb Industrial) for a very long time. Suburban Plaza (the southern part of the area) has always been relatively vibrant, etc, etc.

Also, it is important to annex areas based on potential and developmental opportunities.
I don't know if I would have described Suburban Plaza as 'vibrant'. The area had gotten pretty cheesy over the last 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 PM
 
12,891 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I don't know if I would have described Suburban Plaza as 'vibrant'. The area had gotten pretty cheesy over the last 30 years.
Cheesy, yes.

Maybe cheesy and relatively busy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 10:38 PM
 
111 posts, read 31,550 times
Reputation: 118
I wonder how long that Indian Plaza (Patel Plaza?) can survive all of the redevelopment that's been happening to the Suburban Plaza area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 05:14 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Down View Post
I wonder how long that Indian Plaza (Patel Plaza?) can survive all of the redevelopment that's been happening to the Suburban Plaza area
That's up to them. They own the ground underneath their businesses, I believe, so they can determine their own destiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top