U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2018, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,186,764 times
Reputation: 4903

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Perhaps slight widening (not for additional vehicles) to accommodate bike lanes on both sides, providing the center left turn lane, and also providing those bike stands where you can rent a bicycle (seen in downtown) at every MARTA rail station along the corridor would make it more appeasing to pedestrians / bicyclist.
The preferred option is a 2-way, protected cycle track south of the street, next to the tracks. Using the existing ROW it would fit, but there will be places where there will be a tight fit. Relay Bike Share hubs are planned at all MARTA stations (Inman Park/Reynoldstown Station already has one.) What will make it more appealing to pedestrians is wider sidewalk and street trees, to provide a buffer between the sidewalk and street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2018, 01:03 PM
 
5,393 posts, read 4,903,585 times
Reputation: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I-285 on the East between I-20 and I-85 is congested in both directions. Obviously, its worse northbound in the mornings and southbound in the afternoons, but the opposite direction isn't free-flowing.
Traffic on that East Wall of I-285 between I-20 and I-85 is heavy enough to the point that the State of Georgia wants to add a toll lane to that stretch of roadway.

IIRC, I think that they want to add a toll lane on each direction of the I-285 East Wall as part of the larger project to add toll lanes to the top half of the entire I-285 Perimeter north of the I-285/I-20 East and West interchanges.

(...Of course, the State of Georgia has proposed the addition of two toll lanes to the Top End of the I-285 Perimeter between the I-285/I-75 Northwest Cobb Cloverleaf and I-285/I-85 Northeast Spaghetti Junction interchanges which are reportedly scheduled to be constructed sometime within the next decade.)

Though, because of severe budget constraints, I suspect that only one reversible toll lane may be added to the East Wall of I-285 between I-20 East and I-85 Northeast if and when that project ever gets off the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 01:06 PM
 
1,137 posts, read 475,434 times
Reputation: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Traffic on that East Wall of I-285 between I-20 and I-85 is heavy enough to the point that the State of Georgia wants to add a toll lane to that stretch of roadway.

IIRC, I think that they want to add a toll lane on each direction of the I-285 East Wall as part of the larger project to add toll lanes to the top half of the entire I-285 Perimeter north of the I-285/I-20 East and West interchanges.

(...Of course, the State of Georgia has proposed the addition of two toll lanes to the Top End of the I-285 Perimeter between the I-285/I-75 Northwest Cobb Cloverleaf and I-285/I-85 Northeast Spaghetti Junction interchanges which are reportedly scheduled to be constructed sometime within the next decade.)

Though, because of severe budget constraints, I suspect that only one reversible toll lane may be added to the East Wall of I-285 between I-20 East and I-85 Northeast if and when that project ever gets off the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,458 posts, read 7,268,204 times
Reputation: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Traffic on that East Wall of I-285 between I-20 and I-85 is heavy enough to the point that the State of Georgia wants to add a toll lane to that stretch of roadway.

IIRC, I think that they want to add a toll lane on each direction of the I-285 East Wall as part of the larger project to add toll lanes to the top half of the entire I-285 Perimeter north of the I-285/I-20 East and West interchanges.

(...Of course, the State of Georgia has proposed the addition of two toll lanes to the Top End of the I-285 Perimeter between the I-285/I-75 Northwest Cobb Cloverleaf and I-285/I-85 Northeast Spaghetti Junction interchanges which are reportedly scheduled to be constructed sometime within the next decade.)
Though, because of severe budget constraints, I suspect that only one reversible toll lane may be added to the East Wall of I-285 between I-20 East and I-85 Northeast if and when that project ever gets off the ground.

I doubt this....

I think it will likely stay bidirectional due splits in traffic going separate directions. Also, reversible lanes aren't necessarily much cheaper. They take up extra ROW for extra shoulders and separations having a set of bidirectional lanes don't. They have also already spent a great deal of money prepping many bridge crossings for these future lanes.


The larger reason I doubt this has more to do with revenue/cost ratios. The I-285E has one of the highest scorings for the creation of new lanes on the whole system plan. It also has the highest PFI scoring, an index of its ability to finance itself through long-term revenue projections, of all ML segments under consideration. (It should be noted that this does not include top-end I-285 as this has already been officially programmed)

I-285E and I-85N (adding a second Bi-directional lane to the existing 1 Hot bi-directional lane) were the two stand out corridors in terms of revenue and PFI.

What I think is still left up in the air is whether it will be 1 bi-drectional set of lanes or 2. The original 2010 plan called for 2 bidirectional lanes on I-285 all the way around, however traffic dynamics will have most users funneling into the I-285 top end from I-85N and I-285E on the east end and I-75N and I-285W on the west end.

There is a real possibility they could stick to one lane to prevent a bottleneck from occurring, given that I don't think enough traffic from I-285E will exit onto I-85N to make up for additional traffic merging onto I-285 from I-85N.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 03:24 PM
 
5,393 posts, read 4,903,585 times
Reputation: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Now keep in mind that this is not something that I know to be certain.

The state has expressed a strong desire to add a toll lane to each direction of the I-285 East Wall between I-20 East and I-85 Northeast.

But severe budget constraints are the thing that is keeping the project from being built sooner (like now) rather than later... And with there being an established pattern of the heaviest traffic flowing in a northbound direction during the morning rush hour and in a southbound direction during the afternoon/evening rush hour, don't be completely surprised if only one reversible toll lane is added to the I-285 East Wall if and when that project ever gets off of the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 09:42 PM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,147 posts, read 5,743,091 times
Reputation: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I-285 on the East between I-20 and I-85 is congested in both directions. Obviously, its worse northbound in the mornings and southbound in the afternoons, but the opposite direction isn't free-flowing.
It usually doesn't jam on the northbound until around Lavista Road most days and jammed solid to 85 exits.

A bad day, the delays will start around Memorial or Ponce de Leon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 02:26 AM
 
5,393 posts, read 4,903,585 times
Reputation: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It usually doesn't jam on the northbound until around Lavista Road most days and jammed solid to 85 exits.

A bad day, the delays will start around Memorial or Ponce de Leon.
These are really good points that illustrate that one could ride up to at least the Memorial Drive exit with relatively little delay (by Atlanta traffic standards) on most days if one wanted to use the Southern and Eastern legs of the I-285 Perimeter as an option to travel between the Southern suburbs and a Northeastern suburban area like Downtown Lawrenceville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 10:48 AM
bu2
 
8,979 posts, read 5,682,185 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It usually doesn't jam on the northbound until around Lavista Road most days and jammed solid to 85 exits.

A bad day, the delays will start around Memorial or Ponce de Leon.
Northbound in the mornings, its usually packed beyond 78. You have to be let in to get off the ramp onto 285. The worst seems to be beyond the 85 exits, but I didn't go beyond 85 very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 11:09 AM
 
1,137 posts, read 475,434 times
Reputation: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Northbound in the mornings, its usually packed beyond 78. You have to be let in to get off the ramp onto 285. The worst seems to be beyond the 85 exits, but I didn't go beyond 85 very often.
In the mornings I avoid I-285 North at all costs

Here's what I do...
https://tinyurl.com/ybnwqfrt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 02:38 PM
bu2
 
8,979 posts, read 5,682,185 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
In the mornings I avoid I-285 North at all costs

Here's what I do...
https://tinyurl.com/ybnwqfrt
My rule of thumb was to take Lawrenceville Highway to La Vista if the electronic sign at the Stone Mountain Freeway showed the 285 N speed at 22 mph or less. If it was above, I took Stone Mountain Freeway to 285. Except for bank holidays and a rare light Friday morning, it was never above 33 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top