Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 05:50 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times

Advertisements

Braves are impressing me, as of today they're 4-2, won both series so far, including beating up on the high and mighty Nationals. Clobbered them 2 games and they clobbered us 1. And the one loss against the Phillies was a close one in 11 innings.

SunTrust Park has been impressing people. I had some family on the way through town catch the game yesterday (middle-aged couple, Chicago baseball fans), who said they really liked it, more than Turner Field and Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, where they'd been before. They also really liked the Battery.

I live nearby and have been to the Battery a number of times, but have yet to catch a Braves game. Definitely will this year. I just wish the weather could stay just like this all season. It's been great.

This hasn't been updated yet for today's game, but through 5 games they're averaging 32,988 attendance:

2018 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

I'm going to keep an eye on that figure, see if it goes up if the team is competitive. That's sort of been our hypothesis, that attendance will be directly linked with improved performance. Last year the team was just not exciting, to say the least.

Between my excellent Atlanta United and my Braves, I'm excited this year.

Disclaimer: This is a neutral, general thread, for any and all things Braves/SunTrust Park/Battery/new developments, etc. Anything related. Positive stuff welcome, critical stuff welcome, opinions of all kinds welcome, commentary welcome. Or just anything informative or interesting related to this topic. We can talk about the move, the deal, whatever. But please this time let's try to keep it more civil and level-headed, if we can. Anyone is welcome to say anything, but let's keep it classy. Including myself.

Hopefully this thread can be our one, consolidated STP/Battery thread for this year, with Beretta's blessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 05:59 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
I have already been to two games this year, and went to several last year. I was not happy about the move from Turner Field, but after several games at Suntrust Park, I don’t miss it at all. Wonderful atmosphere in both the Battery and in the stadium. Lots of families and millennials. I drove to one game up I-75 from Midtown, and one from Gwinnett, with no problems either time. It’s easy getting in and out of the parking after the game. Can’t wait to go to more games this year.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:09 PM

What's funny is that traffic has not been a big issue. Nowhere even near the doom and gloom everyone was predicting (including myself).

Anyway, with the big changes coming to regional transit (and which Cobb will actually be participating in), maybe in a few years there will be better transit connection to the stadium besides just a local bus. I and basically everyone has said all along that's going to be a key to long-term success, for this development, and for the Cumberland area in general.

Besides that, I wish they could have somehow incorporated the skyline view on the horizon (which is nice from that area) a little better with the outfield view. But that's been my really only gripe with the design. Though I should probably actually attend a baseball game before I comment on that.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:19 PM

128 posts, read 105,128 times
As a Reds and Mets fan, I hate the Braves. I love baseball, though, and cannot wait to catch some games in the new park. It looks really nice and I've heard really nothing but good things about it.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:46 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,446 times
As a baseball condesuer....lol... let me say this. Y'all have the best park that I've been to. I have been to many. I have lived all over the country and been to baseball in Arlington, Chicago (both), MN, Baltimore, DC, Denver, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Boston, Tampa, and a few others.... this isn't to say that other stadiums aren't nice but we went to opening day at SunTrust this year and we so impressed with not only the park itself, but the total game experience. MY WIFE son and I say in 111 row 1 and had the time of our lives. Everything from the pregame honors to the game winning homerun and every tomahawk chop in between. The people were friendly; the crowd was into it, the fan experience was engaging, and even the wall home in the pouring rain didn't seem to bother anyone.... good job ATL.made me want to live there.....and hopefully will be going t9 mpre games up there soon!

Old 04-05-2018, 12:10 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,639,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
What's funny is that traffic has not been a big issue. Nowhere even near the doom and gloom everyone was predicting (including myself).

Anyway, with the big changes coming to regional transit (and which Cobb will actually be participating in), maybe in a few years there will be better transit connection to the stadium besides just a local bus. I and basically everyone has said all along that's going to be a key to long-term success, for this development, and for the Cumberland area in general.

Besides that, I wish they could have somehow incorporated the skyline view on the horizon (which is nice from that area) a little better with the outfield view. But that's been my really only gripe with the design. Though I should probably actually attend a baseball game before I comment on that.
You are right Primaltech, I live in the sub division right off of Circle 75 so its a 10 minute walk from my door. I thought that I would be stuck coming and going during game times, but last year no issues whatsoever (hoping it stays that way). I am a Yankees fan but I've been to several games, as well as just sitting by the pavilion watching from the big screen.

I only have three more wishes; (1) the Braves were an AL team so I can see the Yankees at least 6x a year (2) some more of the stores fill up soon (3) they build a Trader Joes in the vacant plot up off Cobb Parkway.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:18 PM

198 posts, read 148,820 times
Have most of the other stores opened yet?

Old 04-05-2018, 12:22 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Quote:
Braves are impressing me, as of today they're 4-2, won both series so far, including beating up on the high and mighty Nationals. Clobbered them 2 games and they clobbered us 1. And the one loss against the Phillies was a close one in 11 innings.
Through the first 6 games, the Braves are hitting .297 as a team.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:34 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times
Quote:
That's sort of been our hypothesis, that attendance will be directly linked with improved performance.
. . . well there's a really bold prediction.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:40 PM

modcut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post
Have most of the other stores opened yet?
More open than last year (and the Omni hotel is now open), but I suspect even more stuff is coming. And there's some construction still going on at the front part of the Battery, so I don't know if that's just apartments, or what.

Then the other thing I expect in time is that changes will be coming to the Galleria retail area, which is just cross the pedestrian bridge. Battery South, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Through the first 6 games, the Braves are hitting .297 as a team.
Clearly the difference is that I've been watching the games, exerting my good mojo. I didn't have TV at home last year, now I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
. . . well there's a really bold prediction.
Yeah, well I didn't claim it was, ok?

You're not my real dad!

Last edited by Beretta; 06-17-2018 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: deleted portion orphaned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta