U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:54 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,257,556 times

Advertisements

Sad.... :/

This still reminds me of the TV show The Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 01:55 PM

27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Did he live near the Chattahoochee River?

I also don't understand why it's so hard for media outlets to get basic facts right.

Quote:
But the acting director also took time clarify issues regarding Cunningham's career. In the statement, she refers to "news coverage that Commander Cunningham recently did not receive a promotion...this information is incorrect," she said.

Dr. Schuchat's statement goes on to read, "Cunningham received an early promotion/exceptional proficiency promotion to Commander effective July 1st 2017. That statement contradicts what Atlanta police said during a news conference on February 27th.
http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/cdc-...arly-promotion

Many sources are still saying he was denied a promotion.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:05 PM

27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
According to what I have read, he worked in the Ebola and Zika virus outbreaks. You have to wonder if there is a terrorist connection here.
He worked in the CDC's chronic diseases section, not the infectious diseases section, though the article does mention that he "responded to the Ebola virus and Zika virus outbreaks."

11alive.com | Missing CDC scientist told neighbor to erase phone number before disappearance

It's not clear what that even means. But I wouldn't read too much into that. This is the stuff conspiracy theories are made of.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:25 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,257,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

I also don't understand why it's so hard for media outlets to get basic facts right.

CDC: Missing employee received early promotion - Story | WAGA

The news aren't the CDC, his boss', him, or his friends and family. They are not in place to really know first hand.

So they go to sources and then try to confirm and re-verify facts with a 2nd or 3rd source. It can often be very formulaic.

The problem here is the news is running into multiple sources, with a high level of validity, saying opposite things. So now the news must present both sides of this simple fact.

This also raises other questions, which I'm sure are being asked, but they also have to get people to answer the questions and seek additional confirmation.

In this case:

APD via interviews with CDC employees that knew him said he was upset on not getting a promotion.

Then someone higher up for the CDC claims he got a promotion.

Immediately what my follow up questions, unanswered, are what promotion did he feel he got passed over for and what promotion did he receive?

It could be that he got a promotion, but not as big of one as he felt he deserved. He got one, but for some reason was constantly complaining to co-workers or that a variety of sourced are confused and/or lying about the situation or felt someone else got credit for his work.... This is the unknown.

The problem is they might be having trouble getting follow up questions answered and might be stone-walled from interviews or finding the right people to interview (ie. like who told police he was upset over not getting a promotion).

In any case... technically the media currently has the basic facts correct. They are reporting what source said what, the conflict of information, and then leaving up to you the reader to decide. If they chose only one side without being able to verify it better, than they would be mis-representing the situation.

So this isn't a basic fact the news is getting wrong necessarily. They're presenting the information they have verified and you're assuming what the actual correct answer is.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:26 PM

535 posts, read 278,231 times
Very sad news. I lean toward suicide. It could be that he was suffering from depression and another mental illness, which would explain the somewhat erratic behavior on the day he went missing. The conspiracy theories seem a little far fetched to me.

Heartbreaking, no matter how he died.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:31 PM

20,901 posts, read 32,901,196 times
Quote:
He worked in the CDC's chronic diseases section, not the infectious diseases section, though the article does mention that he "responded to the Ebola virus and Zika virus outbreaks."

11alive.com | Missing CDC scientist told neighbor to erase phone number before disappearance

It's not clear what that even means. But I wouldn't read too much into that. This is the stuff conspiracy theories are made of.
Still, the conflicting reports over his 'promotion' are a little disconcerting. This doesn't add up.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:51 PM

21,499 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:

CDC: Missing employee received early promotion - Story | WAGA

It sounds like there were two promotions, one he got in July 2017 and a more recent one that was denied.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:52 PM

27,752 posts, read 24,763,128 times
You just never really know the things people are secretly going through. Wow.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 5,237 times
So tragic. I am sad for his friends and family and all of that lost potential.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:31 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,979,806 times
So sad to hear about this.

I also think it may have been suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or