U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 04:03 PM

28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Or jumped.

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'."
- John Greenleaf Whittier
Yes, I agree.

We never know what sadness may lie in the hearts of those around us, even when they have the outward signs of success.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 04:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,429,461 times
No way this was a suicide. This dude had been working on some interesting studies and papers that affected some very powerful people, if anything this case has a quite a few red flags. Who offs themselves by jumping into the ‘Hooch anyway? Growing up here usually folks who were found in that part of the river were dumped there by someone else. Clearly I don’t have anymore facts than anyone else on here, but something about this smells fishy ( no pun intended)

Old 04-05-2018, 04:37 PM

110 posts, read 31,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
No way this was a suicide. This dude had been working on some interesting studies and papers that affected some very powerful people, if anything this case has a quite a few red flags. Who offs themselves by jumping into the ‘Hooch anyway? Growing up here usually folks who were found in that part of the river were dumped there by someone else. Clearly I don’t have anymore facts than anyone else on here, but something about this smells fishy ( no pun intended)
Yeah. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off as a suicide, not yet at least. Like you said, I've only heard about bodies being dumped in the Chattahoochee, but never about it being used for suicide. Of course that doesn't mean anything, but it does seem a little suspect to me.

In any event, I was truly hoping for a good end to this story. RIP

Old 04-05-2018, 05:13 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Down View Post
Yeah. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off as a suicide, not yet at least. Like you said, I've only heard about bodies being dumped in the Chattahoochee, but never about it being used for suicide. Of course that doesn't mean anything, but it does seem a little suspect to me.

This is the stuff that Conspiracy Theories are made of.
Sometimes competent, intelligent people may well for whatever reason call it a day.
This may well be the case here.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,429,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
This is the stuff that Conspiracy Theories are made of.
Sometimes competent, intelligent people may well for whatever reason call it a day.
This may well be the case here.
Sometimes competent, intelligent people dig too deep into stuff they shouldn’t, like this guy did with the NRA and questioning vaccines, and sometimes the people they affect by digging just simply get rid of those persons. I think that needs to be looked at just as much as a seemingly happy and successful guy killing himself in the ‘Hooch of all places.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:43 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,904,691 times
I think suicide is likely, but by no means the only possibility.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 PM

21,490 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Down View Post

February, 2018:

https://patch.com/georgia/sandysprin...an-found-river

October, 2016:

Man dies after leaping from Oglethorpe Bridge | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's not suicide.

There aren't any bridges over the Chattahoochee big enough to commit suicide from. High school kids jump off those bridges for fun. If he did jump off a bridge, the only way he would have died in that river is by drowning. I know they pull out people every once in a while who drown accidentally, but I doubt he would have timed his suicide to a water release from Buford Dam when there are simply so many other, better, faster ways to off yourself.

Somebody threw his body in that river.
He drowned.

Could he swim?

The location where he was found is near his home.

https://patch.com/georgia/atlanta/bo...mployee-report

"O'Connor did note that Dr. Cunningham's residence is not far from where his body was found, and that he liked to run. In fact, the doctor was wearing his 'favorite' running shoes at the time his body was recovered. Police did say his wallet, keys and identification were all left behind at the time he was reported missing, which O'Connor said was 'unusual' in a missing person's case. Investigators also recovered three stones from his pockets, which O'Connor said he liked to collect.

Officials stressed that they are unsure where Dr. Cunningham entered the river. However, Dr. Gorniak did note that while the body was badly decomposed, it appears he may have been in the water as early as the day he was reported missing.

'We may never be able to tell you how he got into the river,' [said] O'Connor. 'We just don't have those answers at this time.'"

I have suspected suicide all along, especially with his telling a neighbor to have his wife delete his phone number from her contact list. If he was just out for a run, I can see leaving his wallet at home, but why not take his phone and keys?

One effect of not leaving a suicide note is that any life insurance he had for his family may have to be paid.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 04-05-2018 at 06:02 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 05:49 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
It's not suicide.

There aren't any bridges over the Chattahoochee big enough to commit suicide from. High school kids jump off those bridges for fun. If he did jump off a bridge, the only way he would have died in that river is by drowning. I know they pull out people every once in a while who drown accidentally, but I doubt he would have timed his suicide to a water release from Buford Dam when there are simply so many other, better, faster ways to off yourself.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:50 PM

21,490 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Sometimes competent, intelligent people dig too deep into stuff they shouldn’t, like this guy did with the NRA and questioning vaccines, and sometimes the people they affect by digging just simply get rid of those persons. I think that needs to be looked at just as much as a seemingly happy and successful guy killing himself in the ‘Hooch of all places.
Link to the NRA and "questioning vaccines"?

Old 04-05-2018, 06:00 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,904,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's not suicide.

Investigators said no says of foul play, which is about the only thing we know so far.

He could have deliberately drowned himself by some method, or maybe he couldn't swim, which would make jumping in, essentially suicide. Or maybe he killed himself some other way (took a bottle of pills or something), and spent his last moments swimming in the river.

Lot of possibilities, including murder. But suicide seems at least likely.

We don't know yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or