U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 02:17 PM

22,664 posts, read 34,732,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I haven't visited a lot of the downtown areas listed here in a long time. Never been super impressed with any of the dowtowns around Atlanta. Downtown areas are something that Florida seems to do much better than Georgia
Well, that's a problem if you're going to make grand pronouncements like this.
And where are these superior Florida downtowns located, anyway?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 03:05 PM

226 posts, read 144,889 times
Alpharetta if Avalon is included

Old 04-07-2018, 05:36 PM

29,551 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I haven't visited a lot of the downtown areas listed here in a long time. Never been super impressed with any of the dowtowns around Atlanta. Downtown areas are something that Florida seems to do much better than Georgia
You may have a point when it comes to the downtowns of the larger cities in both states, but Florida is overall more populous so part of it is just a function of the numbers. However, Florida doesn't have an answer for Savannah (it seems that Key West may actually come closest) and although I'm not very familiar with Gainesville, FL, I usually don't hear it mentioned in the same sentence as Athens when it comes to college towns with great downtowns. And being that Florida lacks foothills and mountains, it also has nothing like Rome, Dahlonega, Blue Ridge, or Helen. You shouldn't discount the downtowns of the smaller towns and cities throughout Georgia, including the likes of Brunswick, Thomasville, Madison, Milledgeville, etc.; just appreciate them for what they are.

Even in downtowns that aren't among the most vibrant and active in Georgia, there is still much to appreciate. The structural density and historic urban fabric of downtown Macon is surprising and it's easy to envision what it could be with more investment. Although it has its issues and challenges, I'm actually a fan of downtown Augusta. I like the planned nature of downtown and the grid system (I think many forget Savannah and Augusta were founded and planned by the same person), the riverfront, many historic structures for which it is not given enough credit IMO including some ripe for adaptive reuse, the practically uninterrupted wall of storefronts and buildings along Broad, the gritty nature of downtown, the Greene St median with monuments and statues depicting prominent Augustans, Augusta Common, the beautiful historic houses in Old Towne, etc. Like Macon, it has the building blocks in place already to truly be something special with the right amount of interest and investment.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:12 PM

1,431 posts, read 4,339,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I second this. I like Gainesville's downtown as well and feel that it has much potential to become a bigger attraction moving forward.

Staying further OTP (but still officially within the 29-county area of the Atlanta MSA), I like Cartersville's downtown.

Dallas (Georgia) rarely gets mentioned because its a smaller downtown but still historic and worth noting because of the setup of businesses (including some restaurants, art galleries, antique shops and a community theater) in historic buildings around the historic Paulding County Courthouse.

Going even further OTP, I like Dahlonega's very historic downtown (Dahlonega was the site of the nation's first major gold rush in 1828) just off of the fast-growing main campus of the University of North Georgia.
In Gainesville they have just started a couple of downtown condo projects with street level retail that will fill out the area around the Square. That should help make it a bigger attraction.

Last edited by OhioNative; 04-07-2018 at 07:24 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 07:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 762,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Well, that's a problem if you're going to make grand pronouncements like this.
And where are these superior Florida downtowns located, anyway?
I am not mind reader, so I don't know which downtowns he's referring to, but I suspect it's not a very fair comparison, as Florida has quite a few cities that are much, much larger than any of the metro Atlanta suburbs that are the topic of this very good thread. Downtown St. Petersburg is absolutely fantastic; Sarasota is also quite nice, and Clearwater is good and could be great but for the dominant presence of the Church of Scientology. I haven't been to Palm Beach since I was very small, but I suspect that it is still as nice as it ever was. St. Augustine, while touristy, is also very interesting and incredibly important from an historical perspective. Tallahassee is beautiful and surprisingly sophisticated - and hilly! And Pensacola is very quaint and more historic than one might expect. Dunedin, Tarpon Springs and Palm Harbor, which are more of the scale of most of Atlanta's suburbs, are also quite nice.

As far as the OTP suburbs are concerned, I agree with much of what has already been posted. I have held off replying to this thread because I was curious to see what others would say first; living just blocks from Marietta Square, obviously my opinion might be subject to a bit of bias. But I am glad and only too honored to see that many people have the same view of the Square that I do. We are only too glad to be living here as it gets better every month.

Roswell is also quite good, and I was pleasantly surprised by Woodstock the first time I visited. While I haven't spent a lot of time in Fayetteville, Newnan or Lawrenceville, I think all three are pretty nice.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You may have a point when it comes to the downtowns of the larger cities in both states, but Florida is overall more populous so part of it is just a function of the numbers. However, Florida doesn't have an answer for Savannah (it seems that Key West may actually come closest) and although I'm not very familiar with Gainesville, FL, I usually don't hear it mentioned in the same sentence as Athens when it comes to college towns with great downtowns. And being that Florida lacks foothills and mountains, it also has nothing like Rome, Dahlonega, Blue Ridge, or Helen. You shouldn't discount the downtowns of the smaller towns and cities throughout Georgia, including the likes of Brunswick, Thomasville, Madison, Milledgeville, etc.; just appreciate them for what they are.

Even in downtowns that aren't among the most vibrant and active in Georgia, there is still much to appreciate. The structural density and historic urban fabric of downtown Macon is surprising and it's easy to envision what it could be with more investment. Although it has its issues and challenges, I'm actually a fan of downtown Augusta. I like the planned nature of downtown and the grid system (I think many forget Savannah and Augusta were founded and planned by the same person), the riverfront, many historic structures for which it is not given enough credit IMO including some ripe for adaptive reuse, the practically uninterrupted wall of storefronts and buildings along Broad, the gritty nature of downtown, the Greene St median with monuments and statues depicting prominent Augustans, Augusta Common, the beautiful historic houses in Old Towne, etc. Like Macon, it has the building blocks in place already to truly be something special with the right amount of interest and investment.
Mighty fine post, Mutiny.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:58 AM

305 posts, read 193,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Yes, I live near downtown Alpharetta and Milton. Downtown Alpharetta just finished a apartment complex and they are building two more. It's building a lot.
Same. The entire downtown area around city hall is going to have small restaurants and shops ( not allowed to be anything major corporation owned ). I know Jinya is putting a ramen bar in there. There's a cigar shop + a restaurant going up next to Smokejacks as well. Hop Alley turned into a brewery now I believe too.

They've also done a lot of construction down the road path that connects the Avalon to downtown ( connects at the roundabout by the Publix/Library )

One of my favorite restaurants ( aside from Smokejacks ) is Flatlands - some great cajun food. Also love the truck and tap ( and food truck thursdays makes me happy )

Old 04-09-2018, 10:42 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,650,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've never thought about but he's right and its not just the larger cities. Its usually not difficult to find smaller downtown's that are thriving to varying degrees in most regions of Florida. Florida having double the population of Georgia certainly helps and the tourist/retirement sector of the economy across the entire state is a big factor in keeping those downtowns active.

In Central Florida alone I can think of Winter Park, DeLand, Melbourne, Lakeland, Downtown Kissimmee looked nice but I've never stopped there. I'm sure there are others.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I've never thought about but he's right and its not just the larger cities. Its usually not difficult to find smaller downtown's that are thriving to varying degrees in most regions of Florida. Florida having double the population of Georgia certainly helps and the tourist/retirement sector of the economy across the entire state is a big factor in keeping those downtowns active.

In Central Florida alone I can think of Winter Park, DeLand, Melbourne, Lakeland, Downtown Kissimmee looked nice but I've never stopped there. I'm sure there are others.
Winter Park is lovely. It's also an intown suburb of Orlando.
DeLand is a lovely college town in exurban Orlando.
Melbourne, Lakeland and Kissimmee are on the upswing, but there's room for improvement.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:33 AM

7,223 posts, read 9,999,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Winter Park is lovely. It's also an intown suburb of Orlando.
DeLand is a lovely college town in exurban Orlando.
Melbourne, Lakeland and Kissimmee are on the upswing, but there's room for improvement.
St. Augustine is one of the hidden jewels in Florida. Well, maybe not hidden, but less hyped and therefore more often overlooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or