U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:40 AM

6,892 posts, read 9,586,933 times

Advertisements

Where is the love for Acworth? Decent sized downtown and pretty vibrant, especially for a town that was never a county seat with a typical square. That it is built linearly along a busy railroad line is its only negative. When you compare it to nearby Kennesaw, you can see that historically Acworth was the much larger of the two as Kennesaw has much less historic content in its downtown.

Senoia is getting much deserved love here. One of the things that separates Senoia from most every other Georgia town with interesting old town centers, the two main state highways, GA 85 and GA 16 both skirt downtown and do not come through the center of town. I can't think of another Georgia town similar in this regard. Therefore the quaint downtown is not congested with heavy trucks or any thru traffic to contend with. Almost makes it feel like Disney or a Hollywood set. Well, it kind of is in a zombieish kind of way.

Will throw out a little plug for an exurban town, my hometown of Hogansville. it has received a lot of interest since I left. the art deco city hall (originally the Royal Theatre) sitting atop a main street on a slope upward from the train tracks makes for an interesting downtown layout unlike much of what is to be seen.

Rome has a pretty impressive downtown for a smaller city. It's been years tho since I have been thru there, hope it is thriving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 05:51 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,904,691 times
I mentioned Acworth. It is much better than Kennesaw, and it is cool.

Has good restaurants, plus you can walk to the lake/ a little beach area from the downtown strip, so that is very unique in the region.

It's called Lake Acworth, but it's basically a part of Allatoona.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:55 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,904,691 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0609...7i13312!8i6656

Just a short pleasant walk along Dallas St from this scenic spot to Acworth's city core. Maybe a half mile walk or so.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:27 PM

4,111 posts, read 3,402,459 times
Ackworth has a cool little downtown plus it has Henrys! I'm going there tomorrow for Dinner
I would have loved to have bought my home in the neighborhood behind the downtown, but alas nothing available.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:43 AM

1,137 posts, read 472,859 times
I don't know if you guys consider Griffin a suburb or not. I don't really consider it one but I can see how it's development is being strongly influenced by the metro. Anyway it also has a surprisingly nice Downtown.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:11 PM

994 posts, read 1,108,609 times
As others have said, when it comes to Cobb, the main areas are Marietta Square and downtown Acworth. Kennesaw's downtown is practically just down the street from Acworth's, and while it is not as historically preserved, efforts are underway to help it "grow up." New features include a major apartment complex with retail and dining at the street level; in fact, that development's first restaurant, Bernie's, just recently opened. There are also other dining options in downtown Kennesaw, including Jamaican and Thai. Three new townhouse developments and a new pocket park are also under construction or about to be breaking ground. And much of the strip down Cherokee Street will be overhauled entirely in years to come, anchored by a grocery store, possible hotel, townhomes, apartments and retail. Stay tuned.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:16 PM

1,061 posts, read 878,782 times
The closest one is Miami.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:42 PM

5,360 posts, read 4,886,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
As others have said, when it comes to Cobb, the main areas are Marietta Square and downtown Acworth. Kennesaw's downtown is practically just down the street from Acworth's, and while it is not as historically preserved, efforts are underway to help it "grow up." New features include a major apartment complex with retail and dining at the street level; in fact, that development's first restaurant, Bernie's, just recently opened. There are also other dining options in downtown Kennesaw, including Jamaican and Thai. Three new townhouse developments and a new pocket park are also under construction or about to be breaking ground. And much of the strip down Cherokee Street will be overhauled entirely in years to come, anchored by a grocery store, possible hotel, townhomes, apartments and retail. Stay tuned.
I have noticed that efforts are underway to help Kennesaw's downtown area "grow up" and build out somewhat.

Kennesaw's downtown, while not as built-up as some other OTP downtown areas, has still been notable for being the site of the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History, a facility which is home to "The General" locomotive which was stolen by Union troops during a Civil War event known as the Great Locomotive Chase of 1862 along the tracks of the historical Western & Atlantic Railroad through Northwest Georgia between Atlanta and Chattanooga.

(Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History in Downtown Kennesaw)
https://www.southernmuseum.org/

"Great Locomotive Chase (of 1862)" (Wikipedia)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Locomotive_Chase

Downtown Kennesaw has also been the site of controversy over the years as it is the home of a very controversial shop full of Confederate and neo-Confederate paraphernalia called "Wildman's Civil War Surplus" run by controversial owner "Wildman" Dent Myers... A very controversial shop which many love and many others strongly dislike for its focus on Confederate and neo-Confederate imagery.

"Wildman's Store" (Roadside America)
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/15816

For many years, some have said that it is the presence of such a controversial establishment (and the negative reputation about and perception of Kennesaw (whether deserved or undeserved) as a staunch neo-Confederate stronghold) that has played a role in holding back the growth of Downtown Kennesaw.

During the time that it has been operating since 1971, Myers' store has had the reputation of being a place that non-whites do not go... A reputation of unfriendliness towards non-whites that has (whether fairly or unfairly) also seemed to adversely affect the public's perception of Downtown Kennesaw.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:30 PM

6,892 posts, read 9,586,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I have noticed that efforts are underway to help Kennesaw's downtown area "grow up" and build out somewhat.

Kennesaw's downtown, while not as built-up as some other OTP downtown areas, has still been notable for being the site of the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History, a facility which is home to "The General" locomotive which was stolen by Union troops during a Civil War event known as the Great Locomotive Chase of 1862 along the tracks of the historical Western & Atlantic Railroad through Northwest Georgia between Atlanta and Chattanooga.

(Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History in Downtown Kennesaw)
https://www.southernmuseum.org/

"Great Locomotive Chase (of 1862)" (Wikipedia)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Locomotive_Chase

Downtown Kennesaw has also been the site of controversy over the years as it is the home of a very controversial shop full of Confederate and neo-Confederate paraphernalia called "Wildman's Civil War Surplus" run by controversial owner "Wildman" Dent Myers... A very controversial shop which many love and many others strongly dislike for its focus on Confederate and neo-Confederate imagery.

"Wildman's Store" (Roadside America)
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/15816

For many years, some have said that it is the presence of such a controversial establishment (and the negative reputation about and perception of Kennesaw (whether deserved or undeserved) as a staunch neo-Confederate stronghold) that has played a role in holding back the growth of Downtown Kennesaw.

During the time that it has been operating since 1971, Myers' store has had the reputation of being a place that non-whites do not go... A reputation of unfriendliness towards non-whites that has (whether fairly or unfairly) also seemed to adversely affect the public's perception of Downtown Kennesaw.
Yeah, Wildman has gone from being an odd novelty to being a detriment. Well, some time ago actually. Time for him to go. Way past time.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:59 PM

28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Yeah, Wildman has gone from being an odd novelty to being a detriment. Well, some time ago actually. Time for him to go. Way past time.
That guy gets way too much ink. I have friends in places like Denver and the U.K. who think he is the typical Atlantan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or