Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

For me I think the #1 is Marietta, followed by Vinings..actually its a pretty close toss between those two. I like Downtown Norcross too. I think Downtown Lawrenceville is okay and has plenty of potential. Downtown Stone Mountain is also pretty nice.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 09:15 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Marietta's the best, hands down. No contest. Marietta is in Decatur's league.

Roswell is second best.

I would put Lawrenceville third right now, but I think it will overtake Roswell at some point.

Plenty of other good ones, like Acworth (and you can walk to the lake), Norcross, Tucker, Duluth, Alpharetta (growing fast), Woodstock, Stone Mountain, and Suwanee's is not historic, but cool for what it is.

Vinings is not a city but we have a very charming little historic downtown area along Paces Ferry.

Vinings Jubilee is a shining example of how to do a shopping center right, and make it something attractive, and village-like. There is NO big ugly parking lot, or even a parking deck, but rather the parking is in single rows out front of each establishment, and it really works:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8653.../data=!3m1!1e3

Meanwhile, Smyrna's downtown is terrible, sadly. A couple of the restaurants are good, but I absolutely HATE the layout, and just the entire concept of it. So fake and stupid.

Probably forgetting some cool downtowns.

I enjoyed Conyers when I went there once (there was something filming), and Covington was a really cool one.

I guess Athens doesn't count here (the best of all). But if we are counting stuff far away but sort of in the region, Milledgeville is a nice one.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:19 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
There's a downtown Vinings? Where?
some people like roswell. woodstock too
I miss the downtowns back in California which there are more of and sadly put those here to shame.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:21 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For me I think the #1 is Marietta, followed by Vinings..actually its a pretty close toss between those two. I like Downtown Norcross too. I think Downtown Lawrenceville is okay and has plenty of potential. Downtown Stone Mountain is also pretty nice.

Your thoughts?
Great thread.

I agree with each of your picks of the downtowns of Marietta, Norcross and Lawrenceville.

I also like your pick of the historic downtown village area of Vinings. Though, I guess that it should be noted that the downtown village area of Vinings is officially located within the area inside of the I-285 Perimeter.

I also like the downtowns of areas like Duluth, Suwanee, Buford, Douglasville, Powder Springs, Woodstock, Canton, Jonesboro, Conyers, Covington, Newnan, Senoia, McDonough and Roswell.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Duluth/Norcross. That whole area is really the only place in the metro for consistent authentic Asian food, especially Korean.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
#1 City of Marietta+Marietta mailing addresses

I really wish more areas were incorporated cities.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
There's a downtown Vinings? Where?
It's kind of all the relatively walkable area along Paces Ferry Rd, between Cumberland Pkwy and the river (where Canoe is- nice restaurant), and also Paces Mill Rd. And the roads that feed off those roads, like New Paces Ferry and Vinings Slope, and Overlook (sort of).

Also in the south part of Vinings there's a pretty walkable area between Log Cabin Dr and Atlanta Rd, where the old historic trolley line was. (Atlanta Rd used to be U.S. 41, and the main artery through Cobb)

Old 04-05-2018, 09:44 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
I feel I could really like downtown Marietta. I haven't been to many downtown areas other than Atlanta's downtown but Downtown Marietta seems to have a good amount of events throughout the year and their downtown is pretty lively. Pretty sure it offers a lot, is walkable, and diverse.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:46 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Duluth/Norcross. That whole area is really the only place in the metro for consistent authentic Asian food, especially Korean.

Good point. With so many Asian restaurants, I'm pretty sure there's more incentive to keep their food tasty and authentic.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:52 PM

There's a really cool historic village area in North Fulton called Crabapple, that has now become Milton's downtown:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0898.../data=!3m1!1e3

Some good eats and drinks there. When I worked in Alpharetta we used to go to Olde Blind Dog after work a lot.

And there's a little village in East Cobb, at the corner of Paper Mill and Johnson Ferry:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9507.../data=!3m1!1e3

I like that spot way better than the generic suburbia most everywhere else in East Cobb. Has Moxie Burger which I've heard is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta