U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:41 AM

63 posts, read 43,271 times

Advertisements

Huge for the area and have been following this for a few months now...looking forward to hearing what else comes from this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 11:58 AM

24 posts, read 11,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908kiddo View Post
You hate it now but I'm sure you'll be happy in a few years when your home value skyrockets
Still gonna hate it. Itís not even bought the value of the home. Itís the annoying new people and hipsters thatís gonna make me hate it like I hate some of the old neighborhoods round Atlanta that I used to live in or chill out at

Old 04-06-2018, 12:08 PM

Someone gonna get on here and say the whole camp creek area needs it cause it’s run down and dangerous when it’s not. It’s far from dangerous

Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmi1985 View Post
Still gonna hate it. Itís not even bought the value of the home. Itís the annoying new people and hipsters thatís gonna make me hate it like I hate some of the old neighborhoods round Atlanta that I used to live in or chill out at
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmi1985 View Post
Someone gonna get on here and say the whole camp creek area needs it cause itís run down and dangerous when itís not. Itís far from dangerous

Traffic is definitely going to pick up, it doesn't help that all of the back route streets only have one line per side either...Camp Creek is far from dangerous though, I always look at it as how dangerous can an area be when you have to walk everywhere and everything is out in the open, landscapes like this pretty much prohibit a large concentration of trouble. Sure there are some eye-sore worth of apartments from the GICC to the marketplace, but I've heard rumblings of renovation and beautification coming to these areas

But the City limits of Atlanta is becoming saturated and costly, why join the rat race in the city when you can move 15-20mins south with or without traffic and still be ITP? This day was coming sooner or later haha

Old 04-06-2018, 01:37 PM

This will jump start the cost of living college park and east Point being costly since both cities are right there. Yea they have been renovating and making stuff extra pretty round there. Many people in the area started moving towards the far end of Fairburn when the renovations and stuff started cause they felt their time was up in the area.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:07 PM

291 posts, read 91,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Funny thing is, that money from the airport is given due to the impact to tax revenue caused to the city when the large neighborhood that used to occupy this same development space was bought out and evicted due to intense plane noise from the north runway. That's something to remember in regards to the marketability of this space, this will be the nosiest development in Atlanta
I hope they look at the new office, mall, and hotel complex that's located next to Frankfurt's airport for some tips on how to sound-proof buildings. I spent a night there before flying back to the US, and I couldn't hear a single plane during dinner or while in the hotel room. The second I cracked the window open though . . .

Old 04-07-2018, 11:27 PM

4,245 posts, read 2,828,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
I'm suddenly curious about what was on that property. Clearly, it used to be a residential neighborhood. How long has it been abandoned?
Looking back in Google Earth, it looks to be mostly apartment buildings along the SW portion of the property, and SFH along the northern and eastern portions of the property. The eastern portion also had what looks to be some businesses. The apartments in the SW section were built in the mid 60s. The SFH grid was pretty decently dense dating back in the 50s. It appears to have started getting torn down in the early 90s, and nearly vaporized by the early 2000s.

What's odd, though, is that one single family house still stands smack dab in the middle of this property. It was inhabited in 2007, but boarded up in 2012. Another house still stands on the north end of the property, and still appears to be inhabited by someone who like to keep several covered cars.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:24 PM

So apparently there will be a mix of residential space here, primarily townhomes, with price points starting at 200k-1M...Initially, I didn't see the demand for 1M townhomes. However, was chatting this over with my friend a few days ago and he mentioned that there demand here comes from actors, actresses, celebrities, politicians, businessmen, executives, etc. who fly in and out of Atlanta all of the time and need a "home base" if you will.

Thoughts?

Old 08-27-2018, 12:15 PM

22,178 posts, read 16,186,764 times
College Park officials want a denser development than proposed.
Quote:
The City of College Park wants its 320-acre Airport City development to be much denser than originally proposed, up to 10 million square feet from about 3.5 million square feet, and worth between $3 billion and $3.5 billion at buildout.

Its proposed master developer expressed skepticism about the top desired levels of density and investment to Atlanta Business Chronicle, noting that not many projects in the U.S. reach that level, but said overall density likely could be increased, given the strong interest in the project.

The project will need to include at least 7.5 million to 8 million square feet of development in order to generate the tax increment financing needed to pay for infrastructure, city Economic Development Manager Artie Jones III said. The total density could go up to 10 million square feet.

Estimated infrastructure costs for the site have risen, Jones said. They were originally estimated at between $12 million and $15 million but are now $35 million to $40 million. Mass grading will be required, according to city engineers, he said. The old infrastructure including the former residential street grid and existing water and sewer pipes will have to be removed and replaced to allow for denser commercial development.

And that means the estimated value of the property at buildout will be much higher. If the property is developed to the level College Park now envisions, it would be worth $3 billion to $3.5 billion, rather than $500 million to upwards of $1.5 billion, Jones said.

The new estimates for building infrastructure and resulting impact on the required density have ďpushed the brakesĒ on the cityís negotiation with Peachtree City-based master developer AAC Group Inc. on a development agreement, Jones said. Currently the two parties have a letter of intent to work toward a contract for AAC Group to plan development of the site.

Airport City is a ďonce in a lifetime development,Ē and the city has to get it right or there could be consequences for generations to come, Jones said.

ďThe deal may need to be structured a different way. I am not sure what that is,Ē Jones said.

AAC Group Partner Jim Lowe, asked to comment on the city's proposed changes in the projectís scope by Atlanta Business Chronicle, responded via email: "Research and list 5 commercial developments in Atlanta (or the US for that matter) that have been over $3 Billion dollars and who built them. Then let me know.........and that include 10 M square feet or more."

Probably the closest development to what College Park is proposing is another ambitious project that as yet has not broken ground: the Gulch redevelopment in downtown Atlanta. The City of Atlanta released an astounding projection Tuesday morning that a sweeping redevelopment of downtown's historic Gulch will produce 37,000 permanent jobs amid 40 acres dotted with office towers, residential buildings and street-level retail. City officials are considering up to $1.75 billion of public financing. The developer, Los Angeles-based CIM Group, is pledging $500 million in private capital to raise The Gulch to street level.

Despite the few precedents for the City of College Park's top target numbers, Lowe said in an email Thursday that density at Airport City College Park likely could be greater than initially proposed. "AAC Group and Ackerman continue to receive such positive interest from the development community that we believe that the overall density can be increased. The market will ultimately determine the full build out and we believe that Airport City will be substantial in size and value. The leadership by the City of College Park and the Aerotropolis CID and Alliance are remarkable. We are collectively creating a Class A development that will generate substantial employment opportunities for the region," Lowe wrote.

Jones said College Park's goal is to have a revised contract to present to the City Council at its Sept. 4 meeting, which would be the first read of two reads normally required. If the mayor and City Council approve the first reading, the revision could go before the cityís economic development arm, the Business and Industrial Development Authority, on Sept. 13, he said, setting up a final presentation to the City Council on Sept. 17 and then final approval by BIDA.

The city had earlier said it could break ground in late September or early October on the Airport City project, but now the groundbreaking might be pushed back to late October, given the contract negotiation delays, Jones said.

The city is continuing to field letters of intent from developers interested in the project. All letters of intent are due to the city by early September, Jones said.

The City of College Park announced in April it was launching a mixed-use development on 320 acres, with potential to create thousands of jobs and significantly push forward the regionís ďAerotropolisĒ vision of concentrated development around Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

The development site is on the north side of Camp Creek Parkway, west of Interstate 85 and Hartsfield-Jackson and across from the Georgia International Convention Center.

About 250 of the 320 acres at the Airport City site are developable, with the remainder including the cityís nine-hole golf course and green space.

The project then was envisioned as a mix of class A office, as many as 10 hotels, restaurants, retail and residential.

The land is mostly vacated residential properties bought out in the Federal Aviation Administrationís noise abatement program between the early 1980s to 2000. College Park paid $40 million to buy the land back from the city of Atlanta, which with the FAA bought most of the homes in the area.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...opment-at.html

Old 08-27-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
College Park officials want a denser development than proposed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...opment-at.html
I wonder if this will halt development
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or