U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:02 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,345,209 times

Advertisements

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...y-airport.html

Quote:
The city of College Park is launching a $500 million-plus mixed-use development on 320 acres, with potential to create thousands of jobs and representing a major step in making the region’s “Aerotropolis” vision of concentrated development around Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport a reality.

The development site is on the north side of Camp Creek Parkway, west of Interstate 85 and Hartsfield-Jackson and across from the Georgia International Convention Center. About 250 acres are developable, with the remainder including the city’s nine-hole golf course and green space.

There is enough land available to accommodate Amazon.com Inc.’s proposed HQ2, which requires 100 acres and 8 million square feet. The project was not ready in time to be included on the list of suggested sites Atlanta and Georgia submitted to the online retail giant in 2017, but nonetheless the welcome mat is out if the Amazon advance team should choose to return.

At least one other corporate headquarters is interested.

The project can also connect to the Atlanta Beltline through the extension of existing trails and completion of trail projects already underway in the Aerotropolis area.

sked for a low estimate of jobs potentially created, Jones cited 3,500-5,000. The mayor thought 5,000-plus was conservative.

The project will include 4 million square feet of office, including corporate office, international headquarters, laboratories, medical and medical office; 1,000 keys of hospitality; 600,000 square feet of retail and entertainment, including street front retail, neighborhood shopping centers, freestanding retail, restaurants and entertainment; and 1,000 units of residential including townhomes, single-family, senior housing and multi-family, with price points from $200,000 to $400,000.

The development’s amenities will include multiple public spaces, multi-use nature trails connected to a regional trail system, and autonomous electric shuttle vehicles connecting the development with the Atlanta Hawks’ G-League arena, GICC and the airport. College Park has a grant to build a bridge from the GICC over Camp Creek Parkway to a walking path to the MARTA station. A transit study includes looking at extending the Skytrain to the development, and throughout Aerotropolis.
I'm hoping they keep more of the original street grid in place (and expand it) and not go with the "suburban office park" style shown in some areas of the drawing. Regardless, this would be MASSIVE for the area. Go Southside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 AM
fzx

361 posts, read 359,434 times
That sounds great.

Does this mean that it is only the city's plan with no developers or corporations chipping in so far?

How is the noise level considering the proximity to the airport?

Old 04-06-2018, 06:26 AM

22,157 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Glad to see they are being proactive about an extension or branch to the ATL SkyTrain. Create a junction near Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway for this development.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:01 AM

1,134 posts, read 880,305 times
I'm suddenly curious about what was on that property. Clearly, it used to be a residential neighborhood. How long has it been abandoned?

Old 04-06-2018, 07:07 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,377,861 times
College Park has had for sale signs up on this property for at least 4 years. I'm confused, is the city going to develop these and lease the buildings out? It doesn't sound like a private developer has purchased this. The city is in a unique position as it gets money from the airport, so I hope that's not enabling them to do something that isn't really profitable

Funny thing is, that money from the airport is given due to the impact to tax revenue caused to the city when the large neighborhood that used to occupy this same development space was bought out and evicted due to intense plane noise from the north runway. That's something to remember in regards to the marketability of this space, this will be the nosiest development in Atlanta

Old 04-06-2018, 07:08 AM

3,948 posts, read 3,253,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
I'm suddenly curious about what was on that property. Clearly, it used to be a residential neighborhood. How long has it been abandoned?
That appears to be part of the property that was the city of Atlanta purchase from neighborhoods in the 1990's. Even my childhood church Shiloh was brought out by the airport in the nineties. It is plenty of space near the Convention center.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:09 AM

3,948 posts, read 3,253,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...y-airport.html

I'm hoping they keep more of the original street grid in place (and expand it) and not go with the "suburban office park" style shown in some areas of the drawing. Regardless, this would be MASSIVE for the area. Go Southside!
I am so happy for College Park.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:14 AM

28,124 posts, read 24,652,789 times
Nice. Go CP!!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:26 AM

24 posts, read 11,782 times
Naw I hate this I’m like 3 mins from this and traffic on camp creek can get ridiculous

Old 04-06-2018, 10:35 AM

62 posts, read 42,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmi1985 View Post
Naw I hate this I’m like 3 mins from this and traffic on camp creek can get ridiculous

You hate it now but I'm sure you'll be happy in a few years when your home value skyrockets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or