U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2018, 08:50 AM
 
1,137 posts, read 475,899 times
Reputation: 870

Advertisements

Not to re-bring up the cause of the collapse, or anything regarding the engineering or how quickly it was addressed, but more so the impact it had on the Northern and North East suburbs when the bridge collapsed it revealed a serious vulnerability in Atlanta's infrastructure dedicating to commuting. Not to say that I believe something like this will happen so easily again, but have those impacted already begun to draw their attention away from the needed transportation upgrades in the suburbs, especially that of a rail network and redundant routes?

I see Atlanta is addressing these matters with the consolidation of transit agencies, and it looks possible we may get a passenger rail, in what form I am unclear yet... but I am wondeirng if after that bridge opened and people turned the keys to their motors... if we instantly just dropped the idea as to how important and necessary redundant means of transit truly is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2018, 11:13 AM
 
4,054 posts, read 3,711,765 times
Reputation: 3107
Maybe so. If it took 6-8+ months to repair, im sure there probably would have been more interest in a immediate transit expansion vs the constant BS "surveying" "studying" "Polling" "what ifs" on rail expansion. Right now it will only be on a ballot if it thinks it will get more votes for who ever is proposing it.

I really believe if there was a immediate plan on rail expansion, which realistic start and end dates, that could have pushed Amazon and probably other companies to wan to come here too knowing there is an alternate to the trafic to where people have to commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Vinings
5,943 posts, read 2,915,822 times
Reputation: 3183
It will indeed be pretty funny if Gwinnett implements an I-85 based transit solution that would be just as vulnerable to a bridge collapse as cars are.

If they go the BRT route, they should go all out with it and have a separate elevated structure as a busway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Vinings
5,943 posts, read 2,915,822 times
Reputation: 3183
Though interestingly, Sugarloaf Pkwy and Buford Dr I believe are the only I-85 bridges in Gwinnett/OTP. It mostly stays on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 12:52 PM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
4,997 posts, read 3,484,828 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
It will indeed be pretty funny if Gwinnett implements an I-85 based transit solution that would be just as vulnerable to a bridge collapse as cars are.

If they go the BRT route, they should go all out with it and have a separate elevated structure as a busway.
At that point, they might as well go ahead and extend the MARTA Gold Line (which they should do regardless).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 01:08 PM
 
1,137 posts, read 475,899 times
Reputation: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
At that point, they might as well go ahead and extend the MARTA Gold Line (which they should do regardless).
This is something I would much prefer over a BRT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 03:04 PM
 
7,707 posts, read 9,549,562 times
Reputation: 5678
I would vote against anything other that high speed rail and campaign others to do the same.

A 1% sales tax for some effing busses? No, thank you.

But I already know what's going to happen. This is what they are going to ask people to vote on, and of course we're going to vote it down. Then people will accuse the only minority majority county in the metro of being racist. I bet if you put extending the gold line on the ballot, it would pass with no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 03:04 PM
 
28,150 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Reputation: 9549
I'm afraid traffic disruptions have a short memory life. Once they are resolved it's back to business as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2018, 09:56 AM
 
4,245 posts, read 2,828,753 times
Reputation: 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
But I already know what's going to happen. This is what they are going to ask people to vote on, and of course we're going to vote it down. Then people will accuse the only minority majority county in the metro of being racist. I bet if you put extending the gold line on the ballot, it would pass with no problem.
No. Here is what will happen. They’ll get some sort of approval vote, then “study” it for the next ten years until they need another vote and tax increase to fund it. At which point, they’ll “study” it some more. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2018, 11:20 AM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,147 posts, read 5,743,091 times
Reputation: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I would vote against anything other that high speed rail and campaign others to do the same.

A 1% sales tax for some effing busses? No, thank you.

But I already know what's going to happen. This is what they are going to ask people to vote on, and of course we're going to vote it down. Then people will accuse the only minority majority county in the metro of being racist. I bet if you put extending the gold line on the ballot, it would pass with no problem.
Rockdale County is majority-minority county as well.

I'm sure, Nash want this to fail. Hell, I doubt, she will allow it on the ballot in November. She is going blame the transit study for the delay.

If she does, I will be totally shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top