U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 1,168 times

Advertisements

hello,
I am a 21 year old woman living in California looking for a fresh start. I currently work in the film industry and have heard that its very booming in Atlanta right now. I'm trying to move by July 1st. ill have roughly 4,000 saved up and plan to pack my car up with as much as i can fit and take the drive. I've never been anywhere but California so this is a huge leap for me I'm nervous but ready to take the plunge..... Any advice? so i don't go out there and ruin my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 10:30 AM

9,553 posts, read 8,616,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kailahbaby View Post
hello,
I am a 21 year old woman living in California looking for a fresh start. I currently work in the film industry and have heard that its very booming in Atlanta right now. I'm trying to move by July 1st. ill have roughly 4,000 saved up and plan to pack my car up with as much as i can fit and take the drive. I've never been anywhere but California so this is a huge leap for me I'm nervous but ready to take the plunge..... Any advice? so i don't go out there and ruin my life.
$4,000 won't last very long if you don't have a job lined up before you begin your adventure. Make sure you have good employment lined up before you leave California.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:54 AM

5,940 posts, read 2,902,450 times
Get your resume updated with all your experience, and apply like crazy to everything you can find in your industry. If you can get a decent-paying job lined up by then (3 months from now), then you'll be good, and that's a great amount of savings to get you started.

If you don't have a job lined up when you arrive, that's going to be an extremely stressful few weeks of scrambling for something, and you might end up broke and homeless. Too risky. I would advise against that.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 1,168 times
Default completely understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Get your resume updated with all your experience, and apply like crazy to everything you can find in your industry. If you can get a decent-paying job lined up by then (3 months from now), then you'll be good, and that's a great amount of savings to get you started.

If you don't have a job lined up when you arrive, that's going to be an extremely stressful few weeks of scrambling for something, and you might end up broke and homeless. Too risky. I would advise against that.

since I've never ventured out on my own or even traveled anywhere my entire life i wouldn't know where to start or how to... do you have any advice on how to find and contact companies while I'm still living in California? My resume is up to date listing jobs within : customer service, retail, jobs with kids, and film

Old 04-06-2018, 11:53 AM

979 posts, read 490,716 times
Quote:
since I've never ventured out on my own or even traveled anywhere my entire life i wouldn't know where to start or how to... do you have any advice on how to find and contact companies while I'm still living in California? My resume is up to date listing jobs within : customer service, retail, jobs with kids, and film
Indeed.com. Apply to everything that you can find.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:02 PM

704 posts, read 657,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
$4,000 won't last very long if you don't have a job lined up before you begin your adventure. Make sure you have good employment lined up before you leave California.

Although I am always a big fan of risk and adventure, I have to agree....
heck, $40k barely gets you anywhere no days.

Atlanta is a great town to work, but there is also a lot of people trying to work.... Id get applying and be ready to go. Line up a place to stay too. I noticed a lot of people in the burbs have cottage homes above their garages. Maybe there are some neat places to rent

Old 04-06-2018, 12:58 PM

5,359 posts, read 4,886,734 times
Quote:
hello,
Take the advice of the other posters.

Do NOT leave California without at least one decent-paying job lined up in Atlanta or any other place that you might be thinking of moving to for that matter.

While Atlanta traditionally has enjoyed a cost-of-living that is significantly lower than places like California, the Northeast and even many parts of South Florida, living costs (particularly housing costs) have been rising significantly in the Atlanta area over the past few years of a tightening housing market.

If you move here without at least one decent-paying job lined up, you likely could struggle to find work and housing and could end up broke, homeless and living in your car like the other posters have warned.

The economy in the Atlanta is in a relatively very good place right now, but because of the significantly increased population compared to the legendary boom years of the 1990's and 1980's, the job market is still intensely more competitive than it may look, particularly for people without high-demand skills.

Before leaving California for Atlanta on a whim, take some time to make some important contacts to work towards setting yourself up with at least a decent-paying job in Atlanta before leaving California.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:20 PM

5,359 posts, read 4,886,734 times
Here is a link to one page that hopefully might be able to help you with your search for contacts and employment in the Television and Film Production Industry in Georgia:

(Georgia Film and TV Production Help Wanted Hotline)
Help Wanted Hotline - Georgia Department of Economic Development

Old 04-06-2018, 01:43 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,287,940 times
I would leave if I was you. Plenty of jobs here in your field. People fly here from your state to work here and fly back to Cali on the weekends. You can get a decent one bedroom for $900 a month in the suburbs while you find a gig. Heck if you don't find one immediately you can always work somewhere part time but you should be good. There is a huge movie industry networking event that goes on here one a month. Do a search for it. I forgot the name of it

Here are a list of film industry meetup groups you can join
https://www.meetup.com/topics/filmind/us/ga/atlanta/

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/film-an...aff=erelexpmlt

Most of the people on here are scared to take risk. Your risk isn't that bad because its plenty of jobs in your field here. Now if you were a midget wanting to move here to play for the Atlanta Hawks that would be a huge risk but your risk isn't bad. Most people on here are scared to jump out on faith so this is the wrong group of people to ask

Old 04-06-2018, 02:01 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
Ummmmm.......California is still the leader in the film industry. Just because Georgia is number two....you already live in number one.

That's like moving AWAY from Wall Street to San Francisco to find a job in finance. Sure, there are jobs in San Francisco, but you already live on freaking Wall Street.

You'd be a fool to leave California for Atlanta if searching for film work is your goal. You don't say where you live in California. If it's not Los Angeles, move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or