U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 06:42 AM

42 posts, read 19,141 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy and in targeting Smyrna/Vinings we have seen a lot of affordable places in the Bolton and Chattahoochee neighborhoods. What is the story with this area? The elem school looks bad but it feeds into Sutton and North Atlanta and seems convenient to many privates. What am I missing? We are new to Atlanta and still feeling our way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 07:41 AM

12,906 posts, read 20,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinatl View Post
We are looking to buy and in targeting Smyrna/Vinings we have seen a lot of affordable places in the Bolton and Chattahoochee neighborhoods. What is the story with this area? The elem school looks bad but it feeds into Sutton and North Atlanta and seems convenient to many privates. What am I missing? We are new to Atlanta and still feeling our way around.
Bolton, Riverside, and Whittier Mill Village are zoned for Bolton Academy, which is a good school. Bolton Academy is a 100% feeder to Sutton/North Atlanta.

Other nearby neighborhoods are not zoned for Bolton Academy, nor Sutton/North Atlanta.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:50 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,819,802 times
Quote:
What specific areas are you talking about? Not sure why you mean when you say the "Chattahoochee neighborhoods". Bolton Academy's borders are the river on the north side, the railroad track and Marietta Blvd. on the east side, the large railroad yard and tracks on the south side, and back to the river.

Our son attends Bolton Academy. While it is not nearly on par with the North Atlanta feeders like Brandon or E. Rivers, it still seems to be a pretty good school so far. Prices around here have climbed quite a bit, but you can still get a house for a steal if you are willing to accept either small, old, or fixer-upper. A more recent build or fully updated house will likely run $400k or so.

The Bolton area is perfectly nice. Riverside is mixed with some nice rehabs and some much older and unkept places, but seems to have some crime issues. Whittier Mill Village is quite nice, but also far-removed. Vinings on the Chattahoochee is very nice, and I would move there in a heartbeat if it weren't so far from anything worthwhile. Down a little further south are Dupont Commons and Westside Station, both of which are beautiful...I'd move into either one tomorrow if I had the budget.

The area should climb in value quite a bit once the Quarter is built out, the Westside Village is completed, and additional retail comes online. We live in the area obviously, and are looking to upgrade to a house from our townhome. But, it's been tough to find a house that meets our needs, our desires, and our budget in this area.

As for convenience, you can't beat it in my mind (without living some perfect-trifecta urban lifestyle). It's 15 minutes to Midtown and Downtown even during rush hour. It's 20 minutes to Buckhead normally, 25-30 at rush hour. It's 10-15 minutes to most of Vinings and Smyrna. My commute from this area to the Lakewood area is 18 minutes normally, and about 25 at the height of rush hour. I can get to Norcross in 25-30 minutes and Fayetteville in 35-40 minutes. I rarely ever have to deal with substantial traffic. And, you can get a house for a somewhat reasonable price.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:05 AM

42 posts, read 19,141 times
We are looking at Riverside and Vinings on the Chattahoochee. So glad to hear of good experiences at Bolton Academy too!

Old 04-08-2018, 05:22 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,549,200 times
Quote:
This area was run down for a long time and rather commercial but there has been a ton of redevelopment over the past few years and much more in the works. If you don't mind moving into an area that is definitely on an upswing but still a bit depressed, you should only see growth in real estate values in coming years.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:07 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,429,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
This area was run down for a long time and rather commercial but there has been a ton of redevelopment over the past few years and much more in the works. If you don't mind moving into an area that is definitely on an upswing but still a bit depressed, you should only see growth in real estate values in coming years.
I would call Bolton back then more country than run down though. Bolton/Chattahoochee/Riverside was never a slum. Just a working class area, mostly white with a few black people here and there. Mexicans started moving in around the late 90’s, but the area never changed in terms of crime or going down hill. Granted Hollywood was right next door, Bankhead was down the street, but Bolton itself never experienced the issues those other areas did. I don’t really get where folks get this idea that that part of NW was some ghetto hell hole that is starting to change. I’ve heard people say it about that whole area, from Howell Mill to Riverside, and it’s just simply not true. I’d even say Howell Mill is more “urban” now than it was 15-20 years ago.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:59 AM

7,688 posts, read 9,530,024 times
Is feeding into Sutton considered a good thing nowadays? I know someone whose kid went there years ago. While it wasn't awful, he certainly wasn't exactly excited about her education there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or