U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 11:27 AM

158 posts, read 91,755 times

Advertisements

The way houses are being bought up and renovated, I don't think so. Even better question, what the hell happens to all the poor people who use to live in these neighborhoods and rent the crappy houses? Yuppies/millennials are buying houses and getting into ownership, that's good I guess, but where do all the older, less educated, poor people go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 11:50 AM

22,794 posts, read 34,834,369 times
Heaven.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:55 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,698,653 times
I can't imagine that Atlanta will be fully gentrified in 10 years. Even in desirable neighborhoods, there's still pockets of blight, like Trestletree Village in Grant Park and Edgewood Court Apartments in Edgewood. Despite its surge in the past few years, here in my neighborhood of Ormewood Park, there are still many poorly maintained or abandoned properties.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:20 PM

1,420 posts, read 773,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I can't imagine that Atlanta will be fully gentrified in 10 years. Even in desirable neighborhoods, there's still pockets of blight, like Trestletree Village in Grant Park and Edgewood Court Apartments in Edgewood. Despite its surge in the past few years, here in my neighborhood of Ormewood Park, there are still many poorly maintained or abandoned properties.
Many times the affordable housing only has to be X% of the area median income. Right now that may be low enough that the spots you mentioned maintain issues of high crime and blight, but as the entire city gentrifies and the AMI of the neighborhoods shoot up, that percent of AMI will be a much higher number and will likely lead to a slow transition to where even the affordable housing in Atlanta is well-kept and crime free.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:56 PM

108 posts, read 42,844 times
Just because people don't live in the best neighborhoods, doesn't mean that they're renters. I'm realizing a lot of people assume this, but I've known too many people to disprove this true.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:52 PM

19 posts, read 18,902 times
I think once every square inch of ITP is gentrified, you'll start to see some spillover to south and west of the 285. Dallas, GA, Clayton county, etc.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:00 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,264,211 times
Some will rent in older apartments buildings or new-but-basic ones a little further outside the main core.

I don't see the entire ITP being gentrified in the next ten years. Remember, it was nearly ten years ago that Old Fourth Ward started gentrifying, and it's barley finished itself.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:34 PM

8,270 posts, read 10,207,292 times
Quote:
I think once every square inch of ITP is gentrified, you'll start to see some spillover to south and west of the 285. Dallas, GA, Clayton county, etc.
Definitely. So we'll look for that to happen around 2108.

There's till TONS of land available ITP. It's not running out any time soon.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:08 PM

350 posts, read 406,535 times
lol... @ this rate NO.

Just because it hasn't completely transformed the Intown neighborhoods, doesn't mean that it won't speedtail towards this in 10 years. O4W has about two years left before its completely gentrified. BLVD is the only problematic area, and they are going to clear out those old two story duplex for some condo conversions before you know it...

Too many people want the Beltline, commute time, amenities and the label of being back in the city. It's imaginary clout to the upperclass to be a part of the movement back to the city. I see it increasing in rate, and lawd forbid AMAZON claims ATL it will reach a new velocity

Old 04-09-2018, 07:43 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,529,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
lol... @ this rate NO.

Just because it hasn't completely transformed the Intown neighborhoods, doesn't mean that it won't speedtail towards this in 10 years. O4W has about two years left before its completely gentrified. BLVD is the only problematic area, and they are going to clear out those old two story duplex for some condo conversions before you know it...

Too many people want the Beltline, commute time, amenities and the label of being back in the city. It's imaginary clout to the upperclass to be a part of the movement back to the city. I see it increasing in rate, and lawd forbid AMAZON claims ATL it will reach a new velocity
I love how y’all always use O4W as an example in these types of threads, news flash though, the whole city isn’t built like that. What about those areas with low density, and houses that are 40-70 feet apart from each other, winding roads where it’s quicker to cut thru the woods behind your house to get to front street than it is to drive there? What do you do with areas like Glenrose Heights? Hollywood? Like we humans typically do, we’re all sheep crowding into the same parts of town. But off hand I know of a few areas inside COA that literally have nothing on them. Anyone with a brain could’ve rode down Lee St/Murphy Ave from WE to EP even 10 + years ago, seen those warehouses on the other side of the tracks, seen the Elevated subway line running thru, and probably could’ve seen hipsters and yuppies drinking coffee from corner cafes in their heads. Can’t say the same for a hood like Polar Rock or Arno Court, I don’t see hipsters digging those small frame houses on lots that’s pretty much the size of what you find in the rural south across the street from a field of kudzu. I’m sure those areas will eventually turn too, but it damn sure won’t be 10 years from now and it’s also going to require waaaaay more building, a lot more than we are seeing now. If we are using this urban model of using every available inch of space and going away from the splotchy here and there development of ATL past, then we got a ton of infill building to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or