Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 29,582 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We have gotten into Lovett, Galloway, and Woodward. We are wait listed at Pace and Paideia.
We are mostly debating between Woodward and Lovett. Do you have any advice on which school to choose?
Thank you very much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,819,042 times
Where do you live? That would certainly be a big factor in my decision.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:24 PM
bu2

23,869 posts, read 14,647,736 times
Woodward has a broad range of programs. Great arts programs. Academically it has 4 levels-College Prep, Enhanced College Prep, Honors and AP. Its a very diverse school in many ways with kids from 23 counties. And although you have some very wealthy families, we felt like it was more down to earth than the Buckhead schools. So we didn't apply to Lovett or the others.

You have to evaluate what is important to you and what fits your child best.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:57 PM

120 posts, read 118,252 times
I attended Woodward and I think it was a great experience overall. I can't comment on the other choices but I was accepted to Pace and Lovett (waitlisted at Westminster). I graduated back in 2004 though so take it all with a grain of salt.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:09 PM

55 posts, read 78,220 times
My experience is that Woodward has all of the bells and whistles that the other schools have and because of its size, it can offer even more at times. If your child can find his/her place within a bigger school, I think it will be fantastic. Lovett was not on our list so I can't speak to that experience. Congratulations on the acceptances.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:12 PM

12 posts, read 29,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Where do you live? That would certainly be a big factor in my decision.
We are moving to Atlanta area and will work at Georgia Tech so we can somewhat flexibly decide where to live. I like Buckhead area as well as the midtown and even old forth ward (I got a tour with a realtor).

I like that both schools have uniforms so it is not obvious who is wealthy and so on. I liked the diversity aspect at Woodward but I honestly cannot imagine a kid raised by International parents like us would be elitist regardless of the school he attends.

I felt the lunch buffet at Lovett was healthier than the Woodward's offering. I loved the staff at both schools, so warm and helpful.

I am a bit worried that Woodward has a lot more emphasis on athletics and sends more kids to ok vs Ivy schools and then there is the issue of long commute. But I could be wrong.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:39 PM
bu2

23,869 posts, read 14,647,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkiy View Post
We are moving to Atlanta area and will work at Georgia Tech so we can somewhat flexibly decide where to live. I like Buckhead area as well as the midtown and even old forth ward (I got a tour with a realtor).

I like that both schools have uniforms so it is not obvious who is wealthy and so on. I liked the diversity aspect at Woodward but I honestly cannot imagine a kid raised by International parents like us would be elitist regardless of the school he attends.

I felt the lunch buffet at Lovett was healthier than the Woodward's offering. I loved the staff at both schools, so warm and helpful.

I am a bit worried that Woodward has a lot more emphasis on athletics and sends more kids to ok vs Ivy schools and then there is the issue of long commute. But I could be wrong.
It isn't that you are elitists. It would be the culture and friends.

Woodward has all kinds of food. So if you don't want your kid to have a choice of peanut butter sandwiches, then that's a problem. But they can also make healthy choices.

You don't have to be in athletics. Woodward, is however, serious about everything. If you ARE in athletics or art or performing arts, its a serious commitment.

As for the commute, lots of kids ride MARTA. That should be easy from the areas you are considering. There are buses which many elementary kids and some middle and high school kids ride, but those are expensive.

Woodward does send a lot of kids to "ok" schools. Don't know about Lovett. I think that has to do with the diversity of academic talent at Woodward. All the students are good, but they aren't all great.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,766 times
What grade your kids got acceptance for?

Old 04-06-2018, 04:21 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,819,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkiy View Post

Please don't underestimate the commute factor. Take it from someone who's been doing a 15 mile one-way commute to a private school for 10 years. There is a bus, but it is pricey. That commute will be a killer unless you live within a reasonable distance, you send him/her on the bus, or you send him/her on Marta (a popular choice for Woodward students). As far as quality of the schools, you can't go wrong with either.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:31 PM

55 posts, read 78,220 times
If the price of the bus isn’t a problem, lots of kids take the buses and love it. I applaud Woodward for making itself so accessible in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: