Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:25 AM

187 posts, read 226,744 times

Advertisements

I am from NJ, and will be moving this summer with my Mom. I'm a RN she's a teacher. She likes slow paced, I love slow paced but with lots of people around and things to do. We both prefer warm weather, she loves golf and I love hiking and dogs.

We have looked at relocating to Raleigh NC and Orlando FL extensively. I was actually watching house hunters while I was visiting Raleigh when I saw an episode about Marietta. Then my mom researched the safest suburbs around Atlanta and apparently there's quite a few, but I was looking at Woodstock.

We can afford around 400k for a home. We know nothing about this area though. Where should we start? A trip is being planned for June. Can anyone give some general suggestions please?

Sometimes what we read online is not what people who live there would say are the best or safest places to live.

Thank you!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, My mom strongly prefers a community (not 55+)
THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 11:32 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
I think everyone is probably going to say get a job first (both of you) and then decide where to live. Metro Atlanta is very large; you don't want to buy a house in Woodstock and wind up with a job in Peachtree City.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:35 AM

93 posts, read 82,952 times
RN's can get any job they want with a signing bonus, especially with hospital experience. I am completely blind to how the job market is for teachers locally though. Shouldn't they be applying right now to make sure they're on the payroll before next school year?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:39 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
I don't see why you would even consider Atlanta over Orlando if you both prefer warm weather. Especially if she also likes golf.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:51 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't see why you would even consider Atlanta over Orlando if you both prefer warm weather. Especially if she also likes golf.

Just my 2 cents.
Atlanta is not exactly in the tundra, and there are, in fact, golf courses aplenty in the metro area.
I personally think that Woodstock would be a good fit for the OP.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the above thoughts!

An RN job is easier to get yes. My mom is a math teacher/administrator but has currently been on leave for cancer treatment. We have both decided that where we want to live comes first, and we'll eventually get the right job even if we take jobs farther away for now. Life is too short.

The reason to consider Atlanta over Orlando is because we both have some cons for Orlando...my mom loves gardening and spending time outdoors besides golf but neither of us love the ocean or beaches. I love hiking..not a lot of places to hike in Orlando. There's different things about Orlando we like though and our basically only relatives live about 5 hours away. If I had to chose right now where to live anywhere I would pick Raleigh over Orlando because I prefer all the hiking trails and things to do in the downtown.

I just turned 22, live in a bad area, work very hard, and just want a place to live and enjoy, love the southern way of life.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:15 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
Thanks for the above thoughts!

An RN job is easier to get yes. My mom is a math teacher/administrator but has currently been on leave for cancer treatment. We have both decided that where we want to live comes first, and we'll eventually get the right job even if we take jobs farther away for now. Life is too short.

The reason to consider Atlanta over Orlando is because we both have some cons for Orlando...my mom loves gardening and spending time outdoors besides golf but neither of us love the ocean or beaches. I love hiking..not a lot of places to hike in Orlando. There's different things about Orlando we like though and our basically only relatives live about 5 hours away. If I had to chose right now where to live anywhere I would pick Raleigh over Orlando because I prefer all the hiking trails and things to do in the downtown.

I just turned 22, live in a bad area, work very hard, and just want a place to live and enjoy, love the southern way of life.
Actually, I have a friend that plans to relocate with his elderly parents from Cleveland, TN (near Chattanooga). They wanted proximity to a larger metro for the amenities (particularly healthcare), but didn't want to be in the thick of things. Initially he was focused on Florida, but had a bit of an epiphany after Irma and Maria . Anyway, his search has ultimately centered on the following exurban Atlanta communities:

Woodstock
Canton
Holly Springs
Ball Ground

Old 04-09-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Actually, I have a friend that plans to relocate with his elderly parents from Cleveland, TN (near Chattanooga). They wanted proximity to a larger metro for the amenities (particularly healthcare), but didn't want to be in the thick of things. Initially he was focused on Florida, but had a bit of an epiphany after Irma and Maria . Anyway, his search has ultimately centered on the following exurban Atlanta communities:

Woodstock
Canton
Holly Springs
Ball Ground
Thanks! Starting our Atlanta trip itinerary with those communities! (except maybe Ball Ground..seems kinda isolated and not much to do?)

And yeah the hurricanes are a deterrent although people I talked to in Orlando say the media makes them out to be worse than they are. The cost of devastation is still the same cost though...

Old 04-09-2018, 12:33 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times
Get a job first then look for a home.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:35 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Check out the Alpharetta area. It's part of Fulton County but is very close to Gwinnett, Forsyth, Cherokee, DeKalb and Cobb. 6 counties to shoot for as a teacher within commuting distance.

Plenty of walking trails in town, and less than 60 miles to the start of the Appalachian Trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta