Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 03:42 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkiy View Post
We are having difficulty deciding between Lovett and Woodward as well for the 2nd grade.
I think in terms of commute logistics Lovett might prove better.
Do you guys know whether Lovett emphasized STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math)? I am afraid that it is more liberal arts focused as opposed to STEM. I felt Westminster was very serious in STEM.
Wow, do things change! When I was in second grade our STEM curriculum consisted of learning the multiplication tables and growing seeds in a paper cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 10,019 times
Yes, I feel your pain! We had to make that same tough decision for my pre-first grader last year. We ultimately decided on Westminster and have been delighted w/ our decision. They do a great job w/ diversity, and the kids seem to be exceptionally bright and curious. We’ve been very pleased with the nurturing atmosphere, and blown away by the expertise of the teachers- in every subject, they are truly masters of their craft... it really shows in what my child has learned this year.

We loved all of the schools that we visited, and were accepted to all, but what set Westminster apart for us was the cutting edge curriculum. They keep their finger on the pulse and the kids are exposed to some incredible stuff. They’ve provided the pre-first graders so many different outlets throughout the year (art exhibits, STEAM fair, author share, individualized GOAL classes, foreign language performance, etc... I could go on and on) giving each student a chance to shine.
Good luck with your decision!! It’s a tough choice but you honestly can’t go wrong with any of those options.

Last edited by Abtmom; 04-09-2018 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
I will just plead with those of you who have multiple options to at least let the offers go that you know you are unlikely to accept. Sitting on offers holds up the process and letting them go will get things moving. Have some empathy for those who've been waitlisted.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:53 AM

7 posts, read 13,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtmom View Post
Yes, I feel your pain! We had to make that same tough decision for my pre-first grader last year. We ultimately decided on Westminster and have been delighted w/ our decision. They do a great job w/ diversity, and the kids seem to be exceptionally bright and curious. We’ve been very pleased with the nurturing atmosphere, and blown away by the expertise of the teachers- in every subject, they are truly masters of their craft... it really shows in what my child has learned this year.

We loved all of the schools that we visited, and were accepted to all, but what set Westminster apart for us was the cutting edge curriculum. They keep their finger on the pulse and the kids are exposed to some incredible stuff. They’ve provided the pre-first graders so many different outlets throughout the year (art exhibits, STEAM fair, author share, individualized GOAL classes, foreign language performance, etc... I could go on and on) giving each student a chance to shine.
Good luck with your decision!! It’s a tough choice but you honestly can’t go wrong with any of those options.
Thanks this is super helpful!

Old 04-09-2018, 08:57 AM

61 posts, read 53,104 times
Out of curiosity what elementary schools are you opting out of to go into private school so early? If I had the cash flow I would probably send them starting in Kindergarten, but I will utilize Morris Brandon until 5th grade and save some $$$.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:59 AM

55 posts, read 79,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I will just plead with those of you who have multiple options to at least let the offers go that you know you are unlikely to accept. Sitting on offers holds up the process and letting them go will get things moving. Have some empathy for those who've been waitlisted.
We have declined two offers already in deference to the waitlisted people. The schools have been great about answering questions promptly to get to quick decisions. We are still narrowing down between 2 and Hope to decide by end of day tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:07 AM

9 posts, read 18,099 times
Abtmom - thanks for your feedback on Westminster! It is so helpful to hear from someone who has
recently been a new family there.. What has the social experience been for your child & your family? Have you made friends? Are there ways to get involved?

Old 04-09-2018, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 10,019 times
NNS1978, happy to help! I’ve been SO pleasantly surprised (and relieved) at how down to earth and friendly the parents and kids have been. We have no older children and are not school legacies, so we really had no connections when we started in August. Now, at the end of pre-first, I’m already lamenting the prospect of our class being “split up” next year due to the routine shuffling of classes from grade to grade. I’m certain I’ll remain friends w/ several of the moms even if our kids end up in different classes next year.

I’m sure there are always going to be a few snobby, elitist type parents in any/all of these schools, but I can tell you with complete sincerity that has not been my experience thus far. All of the parents I’ve met are warm, interesting, and generally feel humbled to be there. And they all want their kids to make friends and connect with their classmates.

And yes, there are tons of opportunities to get involved... more than I can even do as a working mom. There are opportunities to volunteer in the library, at class parties, in the design thinking lab, at school spirit nights, at multi-cultural pot luck dinners, as a classroom mystery reader, at parent coffee discussions, etc., etc.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:31 PM

22 posts, read 40,917 times
We are in a bit of an odd predicament... I have three boys going into 1, 8, 10. The oldest and youngest are on the WL at Pace. We are relo so schools are willing to talk to us past the deadlines. I may have a few options. Here's where we are.... would love thoughts??!!

(1) possibly send all to Woodward. Seems amazing but will be a haul... (we are under contract in Sandy Springs ITP)
(2) might be a space in Galloway for 1 and 8. Oldest could go to Pace if he gets in, or Woodward, or Riverwood IB program or Galloway might have a spot but not sure. Oldest is super academic, so I'm not sure if Galloway would be the right fit.
(3) 1 and 8 can go to St Martins (but then 8 leaves after this year and I could have 3 different schools)
(4) Public School? Heards Ferry....

I won't know any for sure until after the 12th but then I'd have to give up my St Martins spots... Would love input!

Old 04-09-2018, 02:40 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allikok View Post
We are in a bit of an odd predicament... I have three boys going into 1, 8, 10. The oldest and youngest are on the WL at Pace. We are relo so schools are willing to talk to us past the deadlines. I may have a few options. Here's where we are.... would love thoughts??!!

(1) possibly send all to Woodward. Seems amazing but will be a haul... (we are under contract in Sandy Springs ITP)
(2) might be a space in Galloway for 1 and 8. Oldest could go to Pace if he gets in, or Woodward, or Riverwood IB program or Galloway might have a spot but not sure. Oldest is super academic, so I'm not sure if Galloway would be the right fit.
(3) 1 and 8 can go to St Martins (but then 8 leaves after this year and I could have 3 different schools)
(4) Public School? Heards Ferry....

I won't know any for sure until after the 12th but then I'd have to give up my St Martins spots... Would love input!
With that many options, I'd just wait until after the 12th and see what shakes out. Too many permutations to consider with lots of uncertainty. It looks like all three of yours are non-expansion years at all the schools. It's really unlikely you'll get all three in the same place this year. I would aim to get two together (the older two if possible) and then work on getting the third in later if possible.

Last edited by CMMom; 04-09-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta