U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:54 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,667,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikok View Post
Sorry - not Riverwood problems.... just my kid.... he's 15, socially awkward and I worry about putting him in a large public school in a new state. I'm just afraid he'll get lost and have a tough time getting integrated. He's been in a small private school since 6th grade and it would be a big change.
Oh, ok. He still might be fine though--sometimes a bigger school is good for a socially awkward kid who is good at academics--just more numbers to work with for him to find his people. I know you are still pulling for your dream school, but just saying your back-up could very well work out great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 08:54 PM

453 posts, read 654,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Well, even at Westminster, the #1 college choice is UGA. After you pay $25K/year for private school (times twelve years), the lure of the Hope scholarship is pretty strong. It's hard to turn down a full ride to a state school and many choose to save the money for grad/professional school.
So true basically you can buy a nice home in many parts of Atlanta in cash for the price and maybe more if you invest the 25k each year until they turn 18. I try not to think about it

I have friends who can't even get their kids into UGA from the top private schools anymore including Westminster. The Hope has set the bar so low that there are a crazy amount of applicants these days and it may actually be easier to get in from a public school. A bunch of parents from my kids school were out to dinner last week and pretty much all of us are questioning why we are even paying these high school fees anymore. Fees are going up close to 9% a year too. Sure we get the nice environment etc but in terms of university entrances I don't think any of the schools are providing much more value than many publics.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:34 PM

42 posts, read 19,078 times
I went to an Ivy from a highly rated public school in the North. I was surrounded by kids from elite private schools who were far more prepared than I was. I did well, but they had done things i had never imagined and those advantages extended far beyond our undergrad lives.

We just paid our deposit at Westminster today. I am excited for my child.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:28 AM

22 posts, read 13,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinatl View Post
I went to an Ivy from a highly rated public school in the North. I was surrounded by kids from elite private schools who were far more prepared than I was. I did well, but they had done things i had never imagined and those advantages extended far beyond our undergrad lives.

We just paid our deposit at Westminster today. I am excited for my child.
. I had a similar experience in business school. My kids are in private now and they are so confident and already have connections. It is different and itís not all about the classroom education. Congrats on Westminster.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:29 PM

203 posts, read 77,946 times
What a child gets out of a private (or even public) school is proportional to the amount of effort that their parents put in. If the only way your participating in your child's education is dropping them off at Westminster every morning then don't be surprised if they don't get acceptance letters from the ivy league.

Elite private schools come with lots of opportunities but it's up to the child and parent to fully realize them.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM

12 posts, read 6,739 times
My son attends a private school ( has elementary and middle school, but no high school) in a small college town in Midwest. I was checking where their graduates end up and the list is way way more impressive than what I see at the top private schools in Atlanta. So I guess the fact that most of the kids at my son's school have academic parents is at least if not more crucial than attending elite schools. This has been an interesting observation for me. I am international and went to an elite private school in my home country but the school picked students with very high test scores so many of us aced the university entrance exams (predominantly pursued engineering majors or med schools) and went to the best colleges and then graduate schools. For graduate schools, those of us who immigrated to US went to truly top schools (think top 10 rankings) and quite a few of us a faculty at top schools. Quite a few of us even had medals in math and physics olympiads while at school. So I guess my viewpoint has been skewed because of that. It does not seem any of the top private schools in Atlanta are even close academically to what I experienced.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
So true basically you can buy a nice home in many parts of Atlanta in cash for the price and maybe more if you invest the 25k each year until they turn 18. I try not to think about it

I have friends who can't even get their kids into UGA from the top private schools anymore including Westminster. The Hope has set the bar so low that there are a crazy amount of applicants these days and it may actually be easier to get in from a public school. A bunch of parents from my kids school were out to dinner last week and pretty much all of us are questioning why we are even paying these high school fees anymore. Fees are going up close to 9% a year too. Sure we get the nice environment etc but in terms of university entrances I don't think any of the schools are providing much more value than many publics.
Thank you for the information. This is very educational for me.
I really find it strange that one would pay 25K for elementary school but then won't want to pay for college education?! Paying 12 years of 25K and ending up at UGA is pretty disappointing IMHO. Kids at decent public schools can do much better.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
What a child gets out of a private (or even public) school is proportional to the amount of effort that their parents put in. If the only way your participating in your child's education is dropping them off at Westminster every morning then don't be surprised if they don't get acceptance letters from the ivy league.

Elite private schools come with lots of opportunities but it's up to the child and parent to fully realize them.
This is a very good point and I agree with you in principle, but still looking at Westminster's college placement, one would get the impression that only 10 families did not just drop their kids off to school

Old 04-11-2018, 02:44 PM

1,861 posts, read 4,553,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkiy View Post
My son attends a private school ( has elementary and middle school, but no high school) in a small college town in Midwest. I was checking where their graduates end up and the list is way way more impressive than what I see at the top private schools in Atlanta. So I guess the fact that most of the kids at my son's school have academic parents is at least if not more crucial than attending elite schools. This has been an interesting observation for me. I am international and went to an elite private school in my home country but the school picked students with very high test scores so many of us aced the university entrance exams (predominantly pursued engineering majors or med schools) and went to the best colleges and then graduate schools. For graduate schools, those of us who immigrated to US went to truly top schools (think top 10 rankings) and quite a few of us a faculty at top schools. Quite a few of us even had medals in math and physics olympiads while at school. So I guess my viewpoint has been skewed because of that. It does not seem any of the top private schools in Atlanta are even close academically to what I experienced.
But does your state have something equivalent to the Hope Scholarship? When I was in high school in the late 80s before GA had it, it was rare for kids in these elite private schools to go to somewhere like Georgia State or Kennesaw State (which were considered mediocre commuter schools at the time), and people reserved UGA for their "safety" school. There were lots more kids applying out of state. I know I applied to like 12 schools and only one was in-state (mostly to privates like Davidson and Duke and highly touted state schools like UNC and UVA). The Hope Scholarship has really helped to increase the quality of the students attending in-state schools and the selectivity of those schools, and as a result, has improved the academic reputation of these schools as well. So I am not sure your comparison is completely apples to apples.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:57 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,667,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post

I don't think that is totally true--I think intelligence and drive have a large genetic component. I am pretty sure neither of my kids is going to Harvard or anywhere close to that--one is more driven than the other, one is more creative than the other, but neither kills it on standardized tests. I'd be thrilled for them to go to Auburn or a small liberal arts school that no one's ever heard of. They are in private school in part because they are those kids who could slog through public school and do ok but be kind of lost. I really don't mind if they don't get in UGA. There are other colleges that are easier to get into and just as good when you get there. They don't go to private school to improve their college choices--they go to learn and have great teachers busting their butts, a smaller community that gets them involved, creative teachers that aren't bogged down by testing and red tape. They are learning to write a five-paragraph essay (in cursive) that builds an argument--and they'll take that with them wherever they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta