U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:07 PM
bu2

8,967 posts, read 5,662,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would guess that most of the students at colleges like that come from public schools, but maybe not.

Someone suggested you don't worry about the Ivy League lottery. I think it was Princeton had 50,000 applications. So its gotten to the point where its a lottery to go in. There are plenty of qualified students and in that number its pretty much impossible to set yourself apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 03:21 PM

42 posts, read 19,141 times
I am new to Georgia. No one outside of the Southeast thinks of UGA like they think of UMich, UVA, UC Berkeley, or even UNC or Wisconsin. Even with the Hope Scholarship, the rate of folks pining for UGA still surprises me.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:24 PM

42 posts, read 19,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Someone suggested you don't worry about the Ivy League lottery. I think it was Princeton had 50,000 applications. So its gotten to the point where its a lottery to go in. There are plenty of qualified students and in that number its pretty much impossible to set yourself apart.
Some northeast privates, esp the boarding schools, still get a few ppl in each year to the most elite schools.

Separately, I also think Westminster is the school most likely to have wealthy legacy parents down here so I donít attribute their admission rate solely to superior students/academics.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:38 PM

9,555 posts, read 8,616,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinatl View Post
Some northeast privates, esp the boarding schools, still get a few ppl in each year to the most elite schools.

Separately, I also think Westminster is the school most likely to have wealthy legacy parents down here so I donít attribute their admission rate solely to superior students/academics.
Trust me - "legacy" and "donor" are not words in Westminster's admissions vocabulary.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:05 PM

22 posts, read 13,905 times
We've figured out 2/3!!! Rising 1st and rising 8th are going to Galloway! We could not be more thrilled. Still working on my rising 10th!

Old 04-11-2018, 04:40 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,668,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinatl View Post
I am new to Georgia. No one outside of the Southeast thinks of UGA like they think of UMich, UVA, UC Berkeley, or even UNC or Wisconsin. Even with the Hope Scholarship, the rate of folks pining for UGA still surprises me.
It's cultural. I know some parents who are traditional southern want their children to go to their flagship state school if they went there. The traditions are strong and powerful and so are the future business relationships developed there. If their kid's plans involve staying in Atlanta or the state of Georgia, UGA can be more meaningful than anywhere else.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:47 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,668,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Trust me - "legacy" and "donor" are not words in Westminster's admissions vocabulary.
I think he means legacy/donors to the Ivy League.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:17 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,255,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
It's hard to turn down a full ride to a state school and many choose to save the money for grad/professional school.
Some clarification regarding the HOPE Scholarship - it is anything BUT a full-ride these days. HOPE pays a portion of tuition - not other associated fees, not room and board, not books... For a full semester course load of 15 hours, it pays about $3600. In-state tuition is about $7500/semester. Additionally, it caps out at 127 semester hours so you better hope your student doesn't switch his major and take more than 9 semesters to graduate or you run out of HOPE coverage.

HOPE has become more and more restrictive over the past several years. It will be interesting to see if the trend of high quality, high GPA kids continue to be as attracted to in-state schools as their option for HOPE dollars diminishes.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:10 PM

151 posts, read 99,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
They are in private school in part because they are those kids who could slog through public school and do ok but be kind of lost.
My child is like this too and the main reason I sprang for private school the last several years. Unfortunately though, I think she also fell through the cracks at Woodward. I mean, I thought it was a nice school, great facilities, teachers were very responsive to my questions, etc., but I really did not see any evidence that my child was getting some significant amount of personal attention or any personalized learning that all the schools rave about doing. I mean, if we'd received financial aid and only paid 8-10K yearly, I'm sure I would have been happy but there's no way she received an education there even close to valued at 23K+.
My nephew is the same age and goes to a public school in Georgia and I didn't see that the curriculums were even that different.
She's smart and a rule follower and I think largely ignored unless I stood on them to pay attention to something I thought was an issue. It was tiring and I was extremely resentful due to the high tuition we paid. Anyway, she's going to public for middle school and I am THRILLED. I would never recommend an expensive private school for elementary; I think it is a waste of money. Much better to save it for high school in my opinion if you have a decent elementary option (we don't so it was either move or private). For my younger child, I plan to find the cheapest Catholic school I can for elementary and then public for middle. We'll regroup for high school.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:25 PM

1,861 posts, read 4,554,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Some clarification regarding the HOPE Scholarship - it is anything BUT a full-ride these days. HOPE pays a portion of tuition - not other associated fees, not room and board, not books... For a full semester course load of 15 hours, it pays about $3600. In-state tuition is about $7500/semester. Additionally, it caps out at 127 semester hours so you better hope your student doesn't switch his major and take more than 9 semesters to graduate or you run out of HOPE coverage.

HOPE has become more and more restrictive over the past several years. It will be interesting to see if the trend of high quality, high GPA kids continue to be as attracted to in-state schools as their option for HOPE dollars diminishes.
It's still cheaper than out of state private college. Duke, for example, lists its cost for one year as follows:

"Undergraduate tuition in 2018-19 will be $53,760, a 3.9 percent increase, and the total cost for the next academic year, including tuition, room, board and fees, will be $70,873."

We have 529 plans for our kids. My 14 year old's plan (which we started contributing to when she was only a month or two old) currently holds less money than the all-in fee listed above for one year at Duke. Makes UGA look like a pretty tempting alternative! If money is no object for a family, of course, it's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta