Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:16 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wow, do things change! When I was in second grade our STEM curriculum consisted of learning the multiplication tables and growing seeds in a paper cup.
Don't forget about sprouting the potato in a glass of water, and making a volcano with baking soda and vinegar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allikok View Post
We are in a bit of an odd predicament... I have three boys going into 1, 8, 10. The oldest and youngest are on the WL at Pace. We are relo so schools are willing to talk to us past the deadlines. I may have a few options. Here's where we are.... would love thoughts??!!

(1) possibly send all to Woodward. Seems amazing but will be a haul... (we are under contract in Sandy Springs ITP)
(2) might be a space in Galloway for 1 and 8. Oldest could go to Pace if he gets in, or Woodward, or Riverwood IB program or Galloway might have a spot but not sure. Oldest is super academic, so I'm not sure if Galloway would be the right fit.
(3) 1 and 8 can go to St Martins (but then 8 leaves after this year and I could have 3 different schools)
(4) Public School? Heards Ferry....

I won't know any for sure until after the 12th but then I'd have to give up my St Martins spots... Would love input!
My family is relocating as well with two kids applying to elementary in non-expansion years. Kids did manage to get off of the waitlist at the same school, but I believe it to be an utter miracle.

(I also have a preschooler, so I was staring down 3 kids in 3 schools in a new city as well at first. That is a lot to navigate as a parent logistically, socially, etc.)

Have you spoken to your waitlist schools to reiterate interest and inquire about even the remote possibility of movement on the list? In non-expansion years, they might only offer 1 admission; the odds of waitlist movement is remote compared to filling a class of 60+ kids.

Could you go with option #3 and then reassess both kids next year? Can then look into 10th grader at Woodward? How much stability do you want before you move?

Keep the hope alive - it will all work out, and it often does in a way you didn't even imagine.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:56 PM

22 posts, read 40,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2AtlantaArea View Post
My family is relocating as well with two kids applying to elementary in non-expansion years. Kids did manage to get off of the waitlist at the same school, but I believe it to be an utter miracle.

(I also have a preschooler, so I was staring down 3 kids in 3 schools in a new city as well at first. That is a lot to navigate as a parent logistically, socially, etc.)

Have you spoken to your waitlist schools to reiterate interest and inquire about even the remote possibility of movement on the list? In non-expansion years, they might only offer 1 admission; the odds of waitlist movement is remote compared to filling a class of 60+ kids.

Could you go with option #3 and then reassess both kids next year? Can then look into 10th grader at Woodward? How much stability do you want before you move?

Keep the hope alive - it will all work out, and it often does in a way you didn't even imagine.
Congrats to you!!!! Where are they going? I did speak to Pace and was told if there’s movement it’s likely this week. I’m ok with my oldest and middle at different schools. Middle and youngest will be together the longest, so I’m hopeful to get them together. Worst case the oldest goes to the IB program at Riverwood which is supposed to be excellent although might be a nightmare socially. It’s just so hard being patient!

Old 04-10-2018, 08:29 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Quote:
Congrats to you!!!! Where are they going? I did speak to Pace and was told if there’s movement it’s likely this week. I’m ok with my oldest and middle at different schools. Middle and youngest will be together the longest, so I’m hopeful to get them together. Worst case the oldest goes to the IB program at Riverwood which is supposed to be excellent although might be a nightmare socially. It’s just so hard being patient!
I wouldn't be worried about social life at Riverwood at all! Your child will have countless opportunities to join clubs, teams, do community service to make friends. Not to mention, the friends he make will live close by--that is huge!

Old 04-10-2018, 10:00 AM

12 posts, read 30,499 times
We have declined some offers to open up the wait list for the others. I think we will go with Lovett because the commute to Woodward would be too tough and I am afraid I will see too little of my child that way. He is all in love with Woodward and liked the idea of being on a bus with his friends. I think ultimately these are all great schools and the burden now is on us as parents to make sure our kids contribute to the schools they attend.

BTW, I was looking at the college admission stats for all these top schools and I was a bit disappointed on how few Ivys are on the list. Also almost no one went to MIT, Caltech, and Berkeley?! Westminster seems to have the best results of them all.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:16 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Worst case the oldest goes to the IB program at Riverwood which is supposed to be excellent although might be a nightmare socially.
Gee, I would have thought Riverwood was top flight. What kind of social problems are they having up there?

Old 04-10-2018, 11:00 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkiy View Post
We have declined some offers to open up the wait list for the others. I think we will go with Lovett because the commute to Woodward would be too tough and I am afraid I will see too little of my child that way. He is all in love with Woodward and liked the idea of being on a bus with his friends. I think ultimately these are all great schools and the burden now is on us as parents to make sure our kids contribute to the schools they attend.

BTW, I was looking at the college admission stats for all these top schools and I was a bit disappointed on how few Ivys are on the list. Also almost no one went to MIT, Caltech, and Berkeley?! Westminster seems to have the best results of them all.
Well, even at Westminster, the #1 college choice is UGA. After you pay $25K/year for private school (times twelve years), the lure of the Hope scholarship is pretty strong. It's hard to turn down a full ride to a state school and many choose to save the money for grad/professional school.

Last edited by CMMom; 04-10-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkiy View Post
I would guess that most of the students at colleges like that come from public schools, but maybe not.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:01 PM

22 posts, read 40,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Gee, I would have thought Riverwood was top flight. What kind of social problems are they having up there?
Sorry - not Riverwood problems.... just my kid.... he's 15, socially awkward and I worry about putting him in a large public school in a new state. I'm just afraid he'll get lost and have a tough time getting integrated. He's been in a small private school since 6th grade and it would be a big change.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Sorry - not Riverwood problems.... just my kid.... he's 15, socially awkward and I worry about putting him in a large public school in a new state. I'm just afraid he'll get lost and have a tough time getting integrated. He's been in a small private school since 6th grade and it would be a big change.
Ah, gotcha. Best of luck to you and your son.

You know, I was reflecting the other day about the time I went to a new school. I was painfully shy but there was this one kid who was nice to me and it really changed my life. 60 years later and I'm still grateful. It really just takes one person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta