U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:24 PM

14,930 posts, read 26,635,658 times

Advertisements

Do this: The teacher should get a job first. Then the RN should get a job close to where the teaching job is. THEN worry about housing close to the two jobs.

Come visit all you want but until you have jobs, don't move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 01:41 AM

48 posts, read 24,788 times
I think at least you, the RN, should get a job near where you want to live. And plan to be able to support your currently sick mother with your solo income. Hopefully she gets better soon, and even if she doesn't work again immediately, she can focus on taking care of her health and enjoy gardening. ATL has 4 seasons and I'm sure she'll have fun taking care of a yard over here.

Best of luck with your decision.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:37 PM

117 posts, read 72,876 times
Thank you, I will definitely take the advice into consideration! Luckily my mom has financially prepared for a time when she would need to be taken care of (since I can't every day, with work).

I don't foresee too much difficulty finding a job myself, because I have experience in emergency, ICU and general medical-surgical nursing. Not LONG experience, but experience and references still in a level 2 trauma teaching hospital. I do plan to apply before we move though. If any nurses are here though please speak up with any advice you have or if I'm wrong about thinking finding a job won't be too hard!

Thanks again, the advice here is heeded!

Old 04-13-2018, 12:27 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,032,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Do this: The teacher should get a job first. Then the RN should get a job close to where the teaching job is. THEN worry about housing close to the two jobs.

Come visit all you want but until you have jobs, don't move here.
Spot on!

Old 04-13-2018, 07:57 AM

48 posts, read 24,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
Thank you, I will definitely take the advice into consideration! Luckily my mom has financially prepared for a time when she would need to be taken care of (since I can't every day, with work).

I don't foresee too much difficulty finding a job myself, because I have experience in emergency, ICU and general medical-surgical nursing. Not LONG experience, but experience and references still in a level 2 trauma teaching hospital. I do plan to apply before we move though. If any nurses are here though please speak up with any advice you have or if I'm wrong about thinking finding a job won't be too hard!

Thanks again, the advice here is heeded!
It will be very easy to find a job here. My wife works at the Wellstar group on a Med-surg floor which is now the 4th or 5th biggest employer in the state with the number of hospitals they have purchased in the last few years. They offer a signing bonus that you have to pay back a pro-rated amount if you leave within a year. They offer a pension after 5 years as well. Their weekend is +4$/hr, Critical staff bonus is only +2$, 2nd shift is +4.25$, 3rd shift hours are +5$. My wife has received 3 small raises in the past 18 months. The float rate is supposedly pretty high but i forgot how much exactly. Their "weekend" option of always working Friday-Sat-Sun is a guaranteed +10$/hr.

Most other nurses would rank Emory and Children's Healthcare, above Wellstar and Northside likely equal. Grady gets a bad rap because of the location, size, and unique emergency room clientele but has better benefits. Wellstar dominates the North-West suburbs and has some hospitals inside the perimeter. Piedmont has its foothold in the southern suburbs of Fayette and Coweta county but nurses supposedly have worse experience with them and their pay is lower than Wellstar's or Northside's. Northside has a larger presence maybe from the northern bit of the perimeter up towards Alpharetta/Roswell. There are a few smaller healthcare groups or standalone hospitals that I didn't list as I haven't heard much about them. When it comes to clinics and senior care, there are way too many to list.

My wife and 3 of my brothers are nurses so I do hear a lot about the business from them and the friends they have in the industry.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 2,768 times
We moved here from Minnesota in 2013 and LOVE it. We live in Woodstock. I feel like it is a great town for people young and old. Downtown Woodstock is constantly having concerts and events. They keep adding to the trail system which now goes from downtown Woodstock, to 92, to the Towne Lake area and beyond. $400,000 is a totally doable budget. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions! I know moving from out of state is exciting and terrifying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta