U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 08:26 AM

4,892 posts, read 3,225,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I think people forget that Istanbul is building a huge nice airport which will definitely pull traffic away from Dubai. I think ATL is safe especially when Delta’s new CS aircraft arrives. We should see new routes that Delta didn’t have the right equipment to serve starting . Furthermore, with all the drastic cut Southwest did at ATL from the AirTran merger. I expect Southwest will refocus on ATL expansion since O&D traffic at Atlanta is growing.
Agree on all points.

Emirates is cutting back as well and is reconsidering it's dependence on all of the A380's they have, as well as those they have on order. I think Dubai's 'glory days' are pretty much slowing down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 08:42 AM

4,051 posts, read 3,403,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Agree on all points.

Emirates is cutting back as well and is reconsidering it's dependence on all of the A380's they have, as well as those they have on order. I think Dubai's 'glory days' are pretty much slowing down.
Are you hearing any rumors on what Delta routes their new CS aircraft may be used for. I wonder if Delta will start some new Latin America flights with the CS aircraft. It definitely have the mileage range.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:52 AM

4,892 posts, read 3,225,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Are you hearing any rumors on what Delta routes their new CS aircraft may be used for. I wonder if Delta will start some new Latin America flights with the CS aircraft. It definitely have the mileage range.
Sorry, but not yet. Their decision to go with the CS was so recent, I don't think they're done with the route planning aspect.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:07 PM

4,051 posts, read 3,403,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Sorry, but not yet. Their decision to go with the CS was so recent, I don't think they're done with the route planning aspect.
I know the litigation ruling was recent, but Delta had been talking about using the aircraft from Los Angeles and New York markets before the litigation mess from Boeing started. I think they are counting on the FAA to lift LaGuardia flight distance rule to be lifted and introduce new flights. I can’t imagine them leaving Atlanta out though with new routes.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:30 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,081,542 times
It's time for Atlanta to join the other world cities, and have a second airport for northern-most travelers.

Where else in the US are 6-7 million people spread over a large geographic region...

all dependent on a single airport?

I think a small commercial operation (almost or an actual outpost of Hartsfield) is warranted now.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:11 PM

13,141 posts, read 21,424,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
It's time for Atlanta to join the other world cities, and have a second airport for northern-most travelers.

Where else in the US are 6-7 million people spread over a large geographic region...

I think a small commercial operation (almost or an actual outpost of Hartsfield) is warranted now.
Yes.

And it should be at Dobbins.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 2,933,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieA View Post
I HATE traveling in and out of our airport. Every other one I have been to is so easy to navigate and everyone is so friendly. Not ATL!
You must never have traveled through LGA. Or BOS. Or PHL. Or...

Old 04-14-2018, 09:53 PM

5,866 posts, read 5,199,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

The City of Atlanta actually purchased more than 10,000 acres of land in Dawson County (in the North Georgia foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains at what is now the northern edge of the Atlanta metropolitan statistical area) more than 40 years ago with the intention of eventually developing that land into a second major commercial airport for the greater Atlanta region (aimed at serving Northside travelers) based on some seemingly fairly credible projections that the Atlanta region would grow to its current population of about over 6.5 million residents.

The land is officially known as "Dawson Forest - City of Atlanta Tract" and has also at times been proposed to be the site of a third major water supply reservoir for the Atlanta region, particularly during dry spells over the last 4-plus decades.

"Dawson Forest - City of Atlanta Tract" (Georgia Forestry Commission)
Georgia Forestry Commission (/forest-management/state-forest-management/state-managed-forests/dawson/index.cfm)

The City of Atlanta has never moved to develop the land into a second major airport for a myriad of major political reasons... Including being blocked by parties (like Delta Airlines) who have huge political and financial stakes in Hartsfield-Jackson Airport as well as being blocked by environmental groups who object to the idea of so much heavily forested very-hilly Appalachian Foothills land being impacted by a project as meaningful as a development-generating second major commercial airport for one of the nation's 10-largest metro areas.

At this point in time, it would be awfully difficult for the City of Atlanta to move forward with the development of a second major airport on that land it owns up in Dawson County because of the objections of parties like Delta Airlines (who have huge political and financial stakes in Hartsfield-Jackson Airport) and regional and national environment groups (who fiercely object to the heavy metropolitan and regional development that might be generated in an area so close to and within their beloved Blue Ridge/Appalachian Mountains regional geographical footprint from a project as impactful as a second major airport for the Atlanta region).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes.

And it should be at Dobbins.
From what I understand, Dobbins was originally developed with the intention of being a commercial airport that would be a Northside alternative to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (then-Candler Field) but ended up being a site that was crucial to the country's national defense efforts moving forward over the next half-century because of World War II.

With most of metro Atlanta's population, development, industry and commerce being located north of I-20, Dobbins Air Reserve Base would logistically be a very good candidate to be the site of a second major commercial airport for the Atlanta region as was originally intended before it became a federally-owned air defense installation.

The problem with moving forward with developing Dobbins into a commercial airport is the spirited opposition to doing so that most likely will arise from surrounding residential neighborhoods.

Complaints about airplane noise from neighboring residential areas and concerns about heavy aircraft operations in such a heavily developed area after a series of plane crashes into surrounding residential neighborhoods in the 1970's, '80's and early '90's led to the placement of heavy restrictions on flight activity in and out of the base in the early 1990's (circa-1993) and the downgrading of the status of the base in subsequent years and decades.

Such major concerns about noise and the safety of aircraft movements (takeoffs and landings) in an area that is even more heavily developed than when heavy restrictions were placed on flight activity 25 years ago would most likely be raised in a significant way if a movement to convert Dobbins into a second major commercial airport for the Atlanta region ever started to progress.

The heavy amount of existing development around Dobbins that would constrain future physical growth of the site and the future growth of aircraft movements are also two major barriers that might prevent moving forward with converting Dobbins into a second major commercial airport for the Atlanta region.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 04-14-2018 at 10:04 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 09:53 AM

19 posts, read 11,195 times
Two thoughts about the airport:

How hard would it be to install ‘walk left, stand right’ signs at the escalators? Especially on that vast expanse of wall we look at above while on them. That improves throughput; those that want to keep moving can, those that want to daudle can. It’s the norm in other countries and cities.

Second, will they ever improve the horrible security line situation? I really doesn’t seem well run a lot of the time. I’ve stood in the line for 20 minutes, made it almost to the front, and then had our whole group shuttled to a different area and ended up at the end of a longer line again, several times. I love other airports that have separate lines for each terminal. Probably not feasible here but are there any ways the current situation could be improved? Any plans to?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:43 AM

2,719 posts, read 1,264,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I noticed that Atlanta's passenger traffic declined 0.3% year-over-year, while the other top ten airports increased their passenger traffic. A related article predicts that if the trend continues, Atlanta will soon fall out of first place.
Since this thread was to promote Atlanta's 20th year as busiest winning over Chicago's O'Hare since then. For last year O'Hare has won over -- Most arrivals and departures.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/2/4/...midway-chicago

From link:
- That means O’Hare is the busiest airport—ahead of Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, according to new data from the FAA reported by the Chicago Mayor’s Office. O’Hare operated more 900,000 flights which hasn’t happened since 2007.
- another record-breaking year for Chicago airports. More than 105 million passengers traveled through the two airports in 2018, according to preliminary data.
- O’Hare saw 83.4 million passengers, 4.5 percent more than last year, and Midway had 22 million passengers

The record passenger numbers are a result of more international travel largely from new routes added at O’Hare. More than 50 new domestic and international cities in total were added at both airports in 2018

This happened before its 8.5-billion expansion plans begin.

Perhaps this trend will continue or not? But as I said once before in a thread.... These airports are competitors and the once newbie on the stage trumped O'Hare from its inability to expand and way past its designed for counts that was already too small opening in 1960. But it had a long run still at #1 and again poised to have it again as the data suggest it did in departures and arrivals.

Do locals believe its just a temporary overtaking?
Is there data on why Hartsfield had some define in traffic a few years?

Since both Airports are going into expansion mode. O'Hare's is really a long time coming. Being limited by neighbors all around it fighting it for years. While all it took was Atlanta to keep all its level and modest growth to maintain it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or