U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:44 PM

1,137 posts, read 473,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetwise5 View Post
There is always terrible traffic on 75 just south of the airport. I went up there for a job interview (looking to relocate and get out of Macon) and it took almost 2.5 hours to get home from Sandy Springs because of traffic when I left at 3. There was an accident SB on 75 in McDonough, and it horrible.
McDonough has always been a mess on I-75...thats why I'm so pissed off that they didn't widen it versus putting those toll lanes that almost noone uses. Honestly every day I drive to Griffin (lately I've been driving there twice a week.) I'm guaranteed to run into traffic atleast once somewhere along my route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 08:35 AM

13,103 posts, read 15,911,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I was meaning Alpharetta to Macon

In hindsight I was reminded of a commute a friend of mine made from Fayetteville to Cumming. Nooooot for me.

Lately I have been visiting Fayetteville and Griffin approximately once or twice a week... its about 150 miles round trip to Griffin and back from where I live. Fayetteville is about 120 miles round trip from where I live.. both cities if I go there I pretty much plan to stay there the rest of the day as I have no chance at beating traffic on my return trip.

That drive is rough.
Round trip to Griffin and Fayetteville from where?

Your post reminds me of a situation from a few years back ... I was living in Peachtree City and working at the AJC on Marietta Street downtown. A coworker who sat in the cubicle across from me lived in Cumming. From my house to work was about 35 miles one-way. From her house to work was 45 miles one-way. We lived 80 miles apart but sat right next to each other at work. That's basically the distance from Atlanta to Macon. Also, my commute took about 45 minutes tops. Her's involved coming down 400 and often took twice that long.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:11 PM

1,858 posts, read 1,167,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Is Macon, GA considered apart of the Atlanta Metropolitan Area, or is Macon still farther out from Atlanta?
Kinda reminds me of a thread I started a while back. Technically it's not but as a lot of previous posters have stated, a good bit of commuting goes on between the two as well as in many cities in the Midwest and NE that the commute is even further but they have commuter rail, urban build may even be greater in those regions. Not just from Macon to Atlanta but reverse Atlanta to Macon in some cases. Example some do commute from Atlanta to the Geico center in Macon to work as well as the Georgia secretary of state License board DT Macon. Even though they are not one Metro, have often wondered will it be a CSA change in Georgia's future. "Atlanta-Athens-Clark-Macon-Bibb-Sandy Spring, GA. Combined Statistical Area "

Old 04-21-2018, 09:14 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,121,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Should Meriwether, Pike, Lamar, Butts, Jasper, Morgan, Pickens, Dawson, Haralson, and Heard even be considered? I know that's what the U.S. Census Bureau thinks, but they're so far as to be almost completely irrelevant to Atlanta. Barrow is pushing it, too. That's more in Athens' orbit.
I've always thought that. Those areas are very rural and insular. Do they even have the metro ATL area codes?

Old 04-22-2018, 09:09 PM

1,137 posts, read 473,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Round trip to Griffin and Fayetteville from where?

Your post reminds me of a situation from a few years back ... I was living in Peachtree City and working at the AJC on Marietta Street downtown. A coworker who sat in the cubicle across from me lived in Cumming. From my house to work was about 35 miles one-way. From her house to work was 45 miles one-way. We lived 80 miles apart but sat right next to each other at work. That's basically the distance from Atlanta to Macon. Also, my commute took about 45 minutes tops. Her's involved coming down 400 and often took twice that long.
Gwinnett about 5 miles off of GA-316. It's about 140 miles round trip between Griffin and my house. Its one of those things that I do and cancle my plans for the rest of the day. I actually just went back there today and even with no traffic its just tiring... with traffic its nightmarish.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:29 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,088,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Metro Atlanta ends at I20, with only the airport being a small annex south of that.
Oh stop

Old 04-24-2018, 07:28 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,254,477 times
Metro Atlanta ends at I-20 with the northern tier of the City of Atlanta being a small annex to the north of that: sounds pretty silly, doesn't it Turnerbro ;0)

Old 04-24-2018, 11:01 PM

5,362 posts, read 4,889,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Metro Atlanta ends at I20, with only the airport being a small annex south of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Oh stop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Metro Atlanta ends at I-20 with the northern tier of the City of Atlanta being a small annex to the north of that: sounds pretty silly, doesn't it Turnerbro ;0)
I'm sure that LTCM was being facetious with the comment that Metro Atlanta basically ends at I-20.

But LTCM's facetious comment does seem to raise an important point: That many (but definitely not all) metro Atlantans who live (particularly those who live in affluent Northside areas north of Midtown) hold that type of view of the world that (with a very few significant exceptions like the Airport and a few other places like Grant Park/Zoo Atlanta, Lakewood Amphitheatre, etc) Metro Atlanta basically ends at I-20.

Many metro Atlantans (including those of us who have spent any extensive amount of time living, working or socializing in parts of metro Atlanta that are south of I-20) know otherwise.

Many of us know that there is very much to metro Atlanta that not only exists but thrives below I-20.

But in our Northside-oriented metropolitan area and region in which business, culture, social life, politics, growth and development patterns all seem to be slanted and tilted heavily towards the north side of the region, there is a nagging perception amongst many (particularly amongst many affluent Northside residents) that there is not much that exists in metro Atlanta below I-20 beyond the Airport.

It is a rather troublesome worldview that needs to be confronted whenever it arises or is expressed by Northsiders who just simply are not familiar with the Southside because they spend virtually no time there beyond driving to and from points south like the Airport, Florida, the Gulf Coast, etc.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:28 PM

4,645 posts, read 3,015,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I'm sure that LTCM was being facetious with the comment that Metro Atlanta basically ends at I-20.

But LTCM's facetious comment does seem to raise an important point: That many (but definitely not all) metro Atlantans who live (particularly those who live in affluent Northside areas north of Midtown) hold that type of view of the world that (with a very few significant exceptions like the Airport and a few other places like Grant Park/Zoo Atlanta, Lakewood Amphitheatre, etc) Metro Atlanta basically ends at I-20.

Many metro Atlantans (including those of us who have spent any extensive amount of time living, working or socializing in parts of metro Atlanta that are south of I-20) know otherwise.

Many of us know that there is very much to metro Atlanta that not only exists but thrives below I-20.

But in our Northside-oriented metropolitan area and region in which business, culture, social life, politics, growth and development patterns all seem to be slanted and tilted heavily towards the north side of the region, there is a nagging perception amongst many (particularly amongst many affluent Northside residents) that there is not much that exists in metro Atlanta below I-20 beyond the Airport.

It is a rather troublesome worldview that needs to be confronted whenever it arises or is expressed by Northsiders who just simply are not familiar with the Southside because they spend virtually no time there beyond driving to and from points south like the Airport, Florida, the Gulf Coast, etc.
Excellent post and points as usual, B2R! I would rep you if I could.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:30 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Excellent post and points as usual, B2R! I would rep you if I could.
Growing up here on the north side, the south side was admittedly like a foreign country to me, and I daresay it was for my peers as well. I'll bet I can count on one hand the number of times I visited there before my 21st birthday. It certainly wasn't encouraged.
Having said that, I do feel change is in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or