U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 06:08 AM

5,358 posts, read 4,883,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Excellent post and points as usual, B2R! I would rep you if I could.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 04:25 AM

3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Growing up here on the north side, the south side was admittedly like a foreign country to me, and I daresay it was for my peers as well. I'll bet I can count on one hand the number of times I visited there before my 21st birthday. It certainly wasn't encouraged.
Having said that, I do feel change is in the air.
I feel the same about the northside. Iíve honestly have had no reason to go past the perimeter going north, everything I need is either in the city or close by. I honestly canít think of anything recreational on the northside that I canít do on the southside.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 AM

1,040 posts, read 412,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I feel the same about the northside. I’ve honestly have had no reason to go past the perimeter going north, everything I need is either in the city or close by. I honestly can’t think of anything recreational on the northside that I can’t do on the southside.
The only reason I go to the Northside (mainly Alpharetta) is for places like Pappadeaux or Original House of Pancakes.

But hopefully, those places will come south of I-20 soon.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:47 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The only reason I go to the Northside (mainly Alpharetta) is for places like Pappadeaux or Original House of Pancakes.

But hopefully, those places will come south of I-20 soon.
There were rumors of a Pappadeaux opening in Morrow. Might be a few more years though. They already own the property, but they just aren’t building yet.
http://www.news-daily.com/news/morro...94cef545a.html

Old 04-28-2018, 05:11 PM

317 posts, read 147,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Is Macon, GA considered apart of the Atlanta Metropolitan Area, or is Macon still farther out from Atlanta?
Hell no. 90 miles apart.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:00 AM

361 posts, read 158,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I'm sure that LTCM was being facetious with the comment that Metro Atlanta basically ends at I-20.

But LTCM's facetious comment does seem to raise an important point: That many (but definitely not all) metro Atlantans who live (particularly those who live in affluent Northside areas north of Midtown) hold that type of view of the world that (with a very few significant exceptions like the Airport and a few other places like Grant Park/Zoo Atlanta, Lakewood Amphitheatre, etc) Metro Atlanta basically ends at I-20.

Many metro Atlantans (including those of us who have spent any extensive amount of time living, working or socializing in parts of metro Atlanta that are south of I-20) know otherwise.

Many of us know that there is very much to metro Atlanta that not only exists but thrives below I-20.

But in our Northside-oriented metropolitan area and region in which business, culture, social life, politics, growth and development patterns all seem to be slanted and tilted heavily towards the north side of the region, there is a nagging perception amongst many (particularly amongst many affluent Northside residents) that there is not much that exists in metro Atlanta below I-20 beyond the Airport.

It is a rather troublesome worldview that needs to be confronted whenever it arises or is expressed by Northsiders who just simply are not familiar with the Southside because they spend virtually no time there beyond driving to and from points south like the Airport, Florida, the Gulf Coast, etc.
It might be a distasteful opinion, but it's more true than not, especially for business. Even ARC agrees, outside of the airport all the major employment centers are north of i20, as defined by their own research.

It doesn't help that one of your own examples of a south of 20 destination (grant park neighborhood) literally is cut in half by the interstate. I guess a more accurate statement would be "Atlanta ends at the i20 corridor".

20 miles north of downtown puts you in what, the roswell/Maretta/Johnscreek area? 20 miles south and you're tipping cows on the weekend....

Old 04-29-2018, 09:30 AM

1,040 posts, read 412,183 times
Quote:
I'm sure that LTCM was being facetious with the comment that Metro Atlanta basically ends at I-20.

But LTCM's facetious comment does seem to raise an important point: That many (but definitely not all) metro Atlantans who live (particularly those who live in affluent Northside areas north of Midtown) hold that type of view of the world that (with a very few significant exceptions like the Airport and a few other places like Grant Park/Zoo Atlanta, Lakewood Amphitheatre, etc) Metro Atlanta basically ends at I-20.

Many metro Atlantans (including those of us who have spent any extensive amount of time living, working or socializing in parts of metro Atlanta that are south of I-20) know otherwise.

Many of us know that there is very much to metro Atlanta that not only exists but thrives below I-20.

But in our Northside-oriented metropolitan area and region in which business, culture, social life, politics, growth and development patterns all seem to be slanted and tilted heavily towards the north side of the region, there is a nagging perception amongst many (particularly amongst many affluent Northside residents) that there is not much that exists in metro Atlanta below I-20 beyond the Airport.

It is a rather troublesome worldview that needs to be confronted whenever it arises or is expressed by Northsiders who just simply are not familiar with the Southside because they spend virtually no time there beyond driving to and from points south like the Airport, Florida, the Gulf Coast, etc.
Well very said!

Old 04-29-2018, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 198 times
No. Even the most broad definitions of the Atlanta metro (CSA) see Macon as part of its own area.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:24 PM

5,358 posts, read 4,883,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
It might be a distasteful opinion, but it's more true than not, especially for business. Even ARC agrees, outside of the airport all the major employment centers are north of i20, as defined by their own research.
That may be true that there are many more major employment centers north of I-20 than south of and along I-20.

But just because there many more major employment centers north of I-20 does not mean that there are no major employment centers south of and along I-20.

The Airport and the Fulton Industrial Boulevard corridor are the 2 largest major employment centers south of I-20. But there are also large and important clusters of employment and business activity in areas like:

> The I-85 South corridor in southwest Fulton and Coweta counties...

> Along GA Highway 74 in Peachtree City...

> Along between I-75 South and US 19-41 South in the Forest Park area...

> Along the I-675 South corridor in south DeKalb and northeast Clayton counties...

> In the Morrow/Southlake Mall area...

> Along and near I-75 South in the McDonough area of Henry County...

> And along the I-20 East corridor through South DeKalb, Rockdale and Newton counties where Facebook just recently announced the development and expansion of a multibillion-dollar data information center south of I-20 in Newton County.

The Southern Crescent is also the focal point of Georgia's thriving multibillion-dollar Television and Film Production industry, an industry which has become a key and indispensable part of the metro Atlanta and Georgia economies and their continuing economic development and economic recruitment efforts.

That thriving Southern Crescent-anchored TV/Film Production scene includes being the site of one of the largest TV/film production studios on the entire planet at Pinewood Atlanta Studios in Fayetteville in Fayette County, as well as being the site of the production of one of most popular long-running series on television, "The Walking Dead" in the small exurban town of Senoia in Coweta County.

The statement that "Metro Atlanta ends at I20, with only the airport being a small annex south of that" just basically gives an extremely inaccurate portrayal of the entirety of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area.

Quote:
It doesn't help that one of your own examples of a south of 20 destination (grant park neighborhood) literally is cut in half by the interstate. I guess a more accurate statement would be "Atlanta ends at the i20 corridor".
Yeah, but even with Interstate 20 cutting through the northern-fourth of the neighborhood, the centerpiece of the Grant Park neighborhood, Grant Park itself (which includes such major attractions as Zoo Atlanta and the Atlanta Cyclorama) lies south of Interstate 20... And is something that the entire Southern Crescent can proudly lay claim to in the decisively Northside-oriented metro area/region that is the Atlanta metro area/region.

And besides, if we are making this into a 'Northside versus Southside' sort of thing as you seem to be attempting to do, Northsiders like yourself do not get to lay claim to the Southside's major attractions and points-of-interest just because it is close to I-20 (like Grant Park) or because you and other Northsiders may go there often (like the Airport).

Major attractions like Grant Park and major points-of-interest like Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport are south of I-20, so the Southside gets to lay claim to those major attractions and points-of-interest in a heavily Northside-oriented Atlanta metro region where the Northside gets to lay claim to so many major attractions and points-of-interest.

Quote:
20 miles north of downtown puts you in what, the roswell/Maretta/Johnscreek area? 20 miles south and you're tipping cows on the weekend....
Of course, the part of the Atlanta metro area north of I-20 has significantly more developed land area than the part of the Atlanta metro area south of I-20. No one is debating that or objecting to that fact.

But to clearly imply that 20 miles south of Downtown Atlanta puts one in an area of nothing more than cows, farms and agriculture is inaccurate, misleading and just plain unnecessarily condescending to the hundreds-of-thousands (roughly about 2 million or so total) metro Atlanta residents who live, work, play, thrive and prosper south of I-20.

20 miles north of Downtown Atlanta may put one in heavily-developed suburban areas like Marietta and North Fulton County. But 20 miles south of Downtown Atlanta puts one in thriving and prospering Southern Crescent suburban areas like North Fayette County and Henry County.

There may be a big controversy going on there right now over neighborhood residents trying to form their own new city by gutting the existing City of Stockbridge, but Eagles Landing is about just over 20 miles south of Downtown Atlanta and it is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the entire state of Georgia.

Fayette County is over 20 miles-plus south of Downtown Atlanta and it is one of the most affluent counties in the entire state of Georgia with a per-capita income that perennially ranks amongst the top-3 in the state.

Everyone knows that the Northside is by far the most developed and most expansive part of the Atlanta metro area. That is a fact that is not in dispute that everyone knows and respects.

But there is absolutely no need for Northsiders like yourself to be condescending to and derisive of the Southside where hundreds-of-thousands of metro Atlantans like, work and play with a great degree of success and satisfaction everyday.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:09 AM

1,852 posts, read 1,166,020 times
Quote:
That may be true that there are many more major employment centers north of I-20 than south of and along I-20.

But just because there many more major employment centers north of I-20 does not mean that there are no major employment centers south of and along I-20.

The Airport and the Fulton Industrial Boulevard corridor are the 2 largest major employment centers south of I-20. But there are also large and important clusters of employment and business activity in areas like:

> The I-85 South corridor in southwest Fulton and Coweta counties...

> Along GA Highway 74 in Peachtree City...

> Along between I-75 South and US 19-41 South in the Forest Park area...

> Along the I-675 South corridor in south DeKalb and northeast Clayton counties...

> In the Morrow/Southlake Mall area...

> Along and near I-75 South in the McDonough area of Henry County...

> And along the I-20 East corridor through South DeKalb, Rockdale and Newton counties where Facebook just recently announced the development and expansion of a multibillion-dollar data information center south of I-20 in Newton County.

The Southern Crescent is also the focal point of Georgia's thriving multibillion-dollar Television and Film Production industry, an industry which has become a key and indispensable part of the metro Atlanta and Georgia economies and their continuing economic development and economic recruitment efforts.

That thriving Southern Crescent-anchored TV/Film Production scene includes being the site of one of the largest TV/film production studios on the entire planet at Pinewood Atlanta Studios in Fayetteville in Fayette County, as well as being the site of the production of one of most popular long-running series on television, "The Walking Dead" in the small exurban town of Senoia in Coweta County.

The statement that "Metro Atlanta ends at I20, with only the airport being a small annex south of that" just basically gives an extremely inaccurate portrayal of the entirety of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area.

Yeah, but even with Interstate 20 cutting through the northern-fourth of the neighborhood, the centerpiece of the Grant Park neighborhood, Grant Park itself (which includes such major attractions as Zoo Atlanta and the Atlanta Cyclorama) lies south of Interstate 20... And is something that the entire Southern Crescent can proudly lay claim to in the decisively Northside-oriented metro area/region that is the Atlanta metro area/region.

And besides, if we are making this into a 'Northside versus Southside' sort of thing as you seem to be attempting to do, Northsiders like yourself do not get to lay claim to the Southside's major attractions and points-of-interest just because it is close to I-20 (like Grant Park) or because you and other Northsiders may go there often (like the Airport).

Major attractions like Grant Park and major points-of-interest like Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport are south of I-20, so the Southside gets to lay claim to those major attractions and points-of-interest in a heavily Northside-oriented Atlanta metro region where the Northside gets to lay claim to so many major attractions and points-of-interest.

Of course, the part of the Atlanta metro area north of I-20 has significantly more developed land area than the part of the Atlanta metro area south of I-20. No one is debating that or objecting to that fact.

But to clearly imply that 20 miles south of Downtown Atlanta puts one in an area of nothing more than cows, farms and agriculture is inaccurate, misleading and just plain unnecessarily condescending to the hundreds-of-thousands (roughly about 2 million or so total) metro Atlanta residents who live, work, play, thrive and prosper south of I-20.

20 miles north of Downtown Atlanta may put one in heavily-developed suburban areas like Marietta and North Fulton County. But 20 miles south of Downtown Atlanta puts one in thriving and prospering Southern Crescent suburban areas like North Fayette County and Henry County.

There may be a big controversy going on there right now over neighborhood residents trying to form their own new city by gutting the existing City of Stockbridge, but Eagles Landing is about just over 20 miles south of Downtown Atlanta and it is one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the entire state of Georgia.

Fayette County is over 20 miles-plus south of Downtown Atlanta and it is one of the most affluent counties in the entire state of Georgia with a per-capita income that perennially ranks amongst the top-3 in the state.

Everyone knows that the Northside is by far the most developed and most expansive part of the Atlanta metro area. That is a fact that is not in dispute that everyone knows and respects.

But there is absolutely no need for Northsiders like yourself to be condescending to and derisive of the Southside where hundreds-of-thousands of metro Atlantans like, work and play with a great degree of success and satisfaction everyday.

So True and Agreed!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or