U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM

38 posts, read 16,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Like CMMom, I have a long school commute (11 miles through town one-way) for one of my kids and it is extremely time consuming and mentally frazzling to the point that my work-life is basically on hold until I can get the child closer. Nevertheless, I do it because the child has unique interests and some academic challenges that make public school not a good fit.

What area are you thinking of living in? There are several private elementary schools that I can think of that have the same feel as Galloway. If you can't move closer but want a private & creative elementary school, there are some great ones. DO NOT drive 40 miles to a school.
we are looking between Roswell-Cumming (forsyth). Some parts of Alpharetta- but Cherokee county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 06:45 PM

145 posts, read 236,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaw-Ga Peach View Post
Curious to know how far each parent travels to take their children to Galloway? My son just turned 4 and I'd like to explore Galloway. We live about 40+ miles away, but will moving soon (northern suburbs). Is it worth the commute?
Not really good school options in the area we live and for about 20+ miles each way.
Parents travel to Galloway from all over the entire metro area with the bulk living in Buckhead, Sandy Springs and East Cobb. I travel 18 miles one way, which takes 45 minutes during rush hour, and I've become numb to it. Just put on a good podcast or audio book, and you'll survive. I know one family from Clayton County who rented an apartment in the Lindbergh area of Buckhead to be closer to the school during the week and would spend the weekends in Clayton. They had a lot going on because of their kid's involvement in varsity sports, which would be more of a scheduling nightmare than it already was.

Within a 5-mile radius of Galloway are Pace, Atlanta Girls' School, Westminster, Holy Innocents, Schenck, Atlanta International School, and Lovett, so they're all a challenge to get to unless you live in these neighborhoods with houses starting at $1 million. Going through the winding roads of the Buckhead forest make it a nice drive, though.

Last edited by cparker73; 04-24-2018 at 07:14 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 03:36 PM

168 posts, read 471,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaw-Ga Peach View Post
we are looking between Roswell-Cumming (forsyth). Some parts of Alpharetta- but Cherokee county
Too far. You'll hate the commute and the kids will too. It's not just mornings and pick up, but teacher conferences and other school meetings, sports events, performances, doctor appointments, etc. Choosing a school reasonably close to home and work was one of the smartest decisions we ever made. If we're in a pinch there are more likely to be families you get to know who live nearby and can help you out. Much less likely if you're very far away.

I'd look at Woodward North, Greater Atlanta Christian, or maybe Wood Acres.

(On the original question, Galloway and Lovett are very different cultures as someone else pointed out. You'll get more typical Buckhead khaki/polo life at Lovett . . .)

Old 04-25-2018, 04:40 PM

38 posts, read 16,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
Too far. You'll hate the commute and the kids will too. It's not just mornings and pick up, but teacher conferences and other school meetings, sports events, performances, doctor appointments, etc. Choosing a school reasonably close to home and work was one of the smartest decisions we ever made. If we're in a pinch there are more likely to be families you get to know who live nearby and can help you out. Much less likely if you're very far away.

I'd look at Woodward North, Greater Atlanta Christian, or maybe Wood Acres.

(On the original question, Galloway and Lovett are very different cultures as someone else pointed out. You'll get more typical Buckhead khaki/polo life at Lovett . . .)
I've attended a few games (football, volleyball) at Lovett and got an outside view of the school, students, parents, and administration. Academics, I can not speak on. My son is 4 but we will be moving hopefully by the end of the year and I would like to get a head start at exploring the different schools.

I also considered Woodward North as well as I discovered it while looking at homes nearby.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:50 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,667,261 times
You could check out McGinnis Woods Country Day School.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:19 PM

5 posts, read 2,761 times
Jaw-Ga, you might also want to look at High Meadows School in Roswell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or