U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 743,552 times

Advertisements

With the completion of the bridge over South Marietta Parkway, the Mountain to River Trail is now complete within the city limits of Marietta, running from Kennesaw Mountain, through Marietta Square and south to the city line. Once a small section in unincorporated Cobb County is complete, it will stretch through Smyrna and beyond, eventually reaching the Chattahoochee River and the Silver Comet Trail.

In celebration of the completion of the Marietta section, the city and the Marietta Arts Council have organized the M2R Trailfest for this weekend:

"The City of Marietta is pleased to announce it will partner with the Marietta Art Council to celebrate Marietta’s long-awaited Mountain to River Trail on April 14-15, 2018 during the M2R Trailfest

The M2R Trailfest will stretch from Lewis Park near WellStar Kennestone Hospital, through the Marietta Square and ends in Brown Park. Be there from the beginning as attendees travel along the trail and enjoy a wealth of artistic talent as the trail will feature performing and visual artists along Marietta’s new Mountain to River Trail."

https://www.facebook.com/CityofMarie...55576507243831

| Marietta, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 PM

6,235 posts, read 3,265,740 times
That new bridge is nice:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/marie...rwEIXEuV5iQDN/

Old 04-12-2018, 08:43 PM

It really is. Imagine a passenger train running over the trestle right next to it. It just might happen!

Old 04-13-2018, 06:38 AM

23,037 posts, read 17,123,342 times
And just think , in a few years they can host a lantern parade

Old 04-13-2018, 07:51 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,400,979 times
More than 15 years in the making? How have I not heard of this? Looks nice

Old 04-13-2018, 08:10 AM

23,037 posts, read 17,123,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
And people say the BeltLine is slow...

Old 04-13-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
They've done it in stages, I believe, and of course the 15 years include project conception and design phases. If memory serves me, it's been funded via a series of different SPLOSTs, plus the federal grants. The bridge over the North Loop has been in place for several years, but the work along the tracks just west of the Square (this section looks great - mostly brick) and the bridge over the South Loop (very attractive design and a shallow enough grade to be comfortable and safe for both pedestrians and cyclists) are the final additions that tie the whole project together.

Bonus: just before the bridge over the South Loop, heading south, there's a break in the fence, creating an entry/exit point to Douceur de France, the best French bakery in metro Atlanta. Now perhaps my occasional run for an almond croissant will be slightly less guilt-laden, if I do it on foot.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:47 AM

6,235 posts, read 3,265,740 times
Is it planned to eventually actually reach the river?

Man, there really needs to be more river integration, in Cobb and Atlanta. Blows my mind that there isn't more.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:01 AM

28,859 posts, read 25,747,312 times
Nice!

I am probably missing it but is there a link to a map of the trail?

Old 04-13-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Is it planned to eventually actually reach the river?

Man, there really needs to be more river integration, in Cobb and Atlanta. Blows my mind that there isn't more.
Yes. Currently there's a small gap just south of the city limits, on West Atlanta Street/Road. Then it picks up again. Fortunately that road is lightly traveled and should be fine for cyclists and probably even pedestrians until they can complete that section of trail.

The crossing of Atlanta Road at West Atlanta Road is not ideal; hopefully that gets improved at some point. Once it's on the other side of Atlanta Road, it'd not exactly pretty and probably never will be - it's running along Dobbins and a Lockheed manufacturing plant, after all - but it's very flat and straight with very little interaction with cars. I often see it being pretty well used and expect that utilization will increase significantly with the completion of the Marietta section.

After it gets to Spring Road, it runs along that all the way to Cumberland Blvd, where it crosses 285. It then heads down Cobb Parkway to Paces Mill, where it ends at the Chattahoochee National Recreation Area. (That stretch is so steep, however, that I wouldn't fancy riding a bike on it, either ascending or descending.)

It's not perfect but it's very much a step in the right direction, and the section within the Marietta City limits is particularly well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or