Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 03:21 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Active in what sense? Physically? Socially? Intellectually? Politically?
I would say they are more aware and willing to participate in political activities on social issues they feel impacted on. I work in a high school and yes there are the tide pod eaters, bullies etc but those types have been around in every generation. I can tell you that the top of this generation will have more impact on this country earlier than those in the last 30 years plus that I have taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 03:50 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Seems like times are really changing in the ATL.

Two guys at Chattahoochee got shot down as prom kings. However, the other students are rallying to their defense.
I am sorry, this is too much! Traditionally, the Prom King and Queen are not a couple, they are separate individuals, chosen for their own merits. This is carrying PC too far! (And I am a card carrying liberal!)

Old 04-14-2018, 07:03 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I am sorry, this is too much! Traditionally, the Prom King and Queen are not a couple, they are separate individuals, chosen for their own merits. This is carrying PC too far! (And I am a card carrying liberal!)
It's my understanding that this was what the students voluntarily voted for, not something that was forced on them in the name of "political correctness."

Kids today are practical and they get hung up on stuff like that.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:09 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
I agree because the king and queen don't necessarily need to be a couple. They are voted as individuals, I believe.
My recollection is that they are rarely a couple.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:36 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
I would say they are more aware and willing to participate in political activities on social issues they feel impacted on. I work in a high school and yes there are the tide pod eaters, bullies etc but those types have been around in every generation. I can tell you that the top of this generation will have more impact on this country earlier than those in the last 30 years plus that I have taught.
Sad that voter demographics in recent elections don't bear this out.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
My recollection is that they are rarely a couple.
When I was Prom Queen (well, of course I was), the King was our second string quarterback. He was not my boyfriend; in fact, he came out three years later and moved to a commune in Oregon.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:58 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Is that what they call a bro-mance?
Hahah!

Old 04-15-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
The generation addicted to their screens? I doubt it.
That's such a generalization. I'm proud of the youth coming up towards how accepting they are. I wish I grew up in an environment like that and went to schools where being gay is starting to be seen as okay. Even racism was bad growing up. Good for those high schoolers! I get what they were trying to do.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I don’t really I’m assuming the process is this. You apply to run as prom king or queen according to gender and the school votes for the individual king or queen. If it were done in pairs I would understand, but allowing two kings to be elected instead of a king and a queen would make it unfair to the females running. Tell me I’m missing something here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I don't think you are. The way it sounds to me is that three females and three males are chosen, not three couples. From there a male and female are chosen as K&Q. So in theory a gay man and a lesbian could be chosen. Who gets to be queen and who gets to be king is up to them.
I don't infer that the couple chosen are necessarily a couple IRL.
I'm reading a lot of this on the forum. I always noticed that the prom king and queen were usually couples. I hardly remember seeing a prom queen/king being elected and they were not going out. The only time I remember seeing a q and k not being a couple is when the school was very diverse. Anyway too late for me to get into it. This is all my experience anyway. I just thought that most of the times they are a couple.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:46 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I'm reading a lot of this on the forum. I always noticed that the prom king and queen were usually couples. I hardly remember seeing a prom queen/king being elected and they were not going out. The only time I remember seeing a q and k not being a couple is when the school was very diverse. Anyway too late for me to get into it. This is all my experience anyway. I just thought that most of the times they are a couple.
That’s not what I’ve experienced in high school. Either way, I don’t really think the majority of students are really mad about this, I’m sure it’s just a loud minority. The rules for being elected were clear from the beginning and I just don’t see an issue with 1 king and 1 queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: