U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:10 AM

1,473 posts, read 642,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Sad that voter demographics in recent elections don't bear this out.
If they don’t vote in 2018. Then I would agree with you. In many cases they are disgusted by the two party system that they see as crooked and decided to ignore. The political movement is a more recent one when they have realized that they can’t ignore it. As I say if 5hey don’t vote this year then nothing has changed in that age group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 08:08 AM

20,901 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
If they donít vote in 2018. Then I would agree with you. In many cases they are disgusted by the two party system that they see as crooked and decided to ignore. The political movement is a more recent one when they have realized that they canít ignore it. As I say if 5hey donít vote this year then nothing has changed in that age group.
We'll see, but I go along with what you're saying. There is a sense (on my part) of increased political engagement within that group.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 AM

2,135 posts, read 1,035,645 times
I do agree that perhaps the students may need to consider changing it from q and k to two individuals. Hopefully it would change from year to year and not end up being all male or all female. To be honest I never really cared about prom king and queen anyway.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:33 AM

2,135 posts, read 1,035,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
I would say they are more aware and willing to participate in political activities on social issues they feel impacted on. I work in a high school and yes there are the tide pod eaters, bullies etc but those types have been around in every generation. I can tell you that the top of this generation will have more impact on this country earlier than those in the last 30 years plus that I have taught.
They and the ones coming up behind them will definitely have an impact. By then, I'm thinking many of the baby boomers will no longer be alive and so will not be able to prevent progressive change from happening. They tend to have a big influence on elections due to their size. They were a big discussion in an econ class. Lots of retirees and not enough workers to support the increases in soc. security and medicare.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:39 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,729,302 times
Among the younger generations there is absolutely no stigma attached to being gay or trans/cis-gendered. In their eyes a binary, hetro-focused prom king and queen is old fashioned at best and cruel at it's worst. Let the kids do what they want. Forcing prom to be like it has always been isn't going to force this cat back in the bag.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:49 AM

133 posts, read 47,498 times
What about the female? Thatís invading another groups rights.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:52 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,729,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyAnn53 View Post
What about the female? Thatís invading another groups rights.
That's not what they're trying to achieve. Rather, they want the two prom representatives to be two boy or two girls or a boy and a girl. Basically they just want the option for it to go anyway. Right now the school wants just one boy and one girl.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:14 AM

20,901 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's not what they're trying to achieve. Rather, they want the two prom representatives to be two boy or two girls or a boy and a girl. Basically they just want the option for it to go anyway. Right now the school wants just one boy and one girl.
Then why not just have one student, boy or girl, gay or straight, black or white, Earthing or Martian, preside over the festivities? That would nip it in the bud.
All this petty social engineering is wearing me out.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:57 AM

395 posts, read 470,522 times
Having no dog in the fight, my question is - what's next?

Going with any of the models proposed in this thread, what stops the next move from being not having two representatives of a popular vote at all? Just let all the nominees be the 'Prom Court'.

After all, no child should ever have to know what it feels like to lose anymore. /sarcasm

Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM

9,558 posts, read 8,622,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Then why not just have one student, boy or girl, gay or straight, black or white, Earthing or Martian, preside over the festivities? That would nip it in the bud.
All this petty social engineering is wearing me out.
I think that would be a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or