U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:46 AM

459 posts, read 361,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
lethalhipster9 raises an important point in noting that the historical reputation of Forsyth County as a bastion of white supremacy continues to deter many (but not all) blacks from moving into the county.

But JayFromCT also raises some very important points in noting that much of the population in Forsyth County are out-of-state transplants attracted to the area by the booming IT sector that is heavily concentrated in nearby Alpharetta and in noting that there are many Asians that have been attracted to the area.

South Forsyth County has a relatively large and fast-growing Asian population that has been attracted to the area by the booming IT sector along the Georgia 400 corridor (through North Fulton and South Forsyth counties) and the extremely high quality of the schools in the Forsyth County school system... A school system which is very highly regarded as one of the best public school systems in the state of Georgia.

The booming Asian population in South Forsyth County is reflected in the latest official U.S. Census estimate of the county from 2016 in which Asians are reported to make up 12% of Forsyth County's overall population.

In some parts of South Forsyth County, Asian residents appear to make up as much as up to over 40% of the population and up to as much as 40-50% of the student populations in some local elementary schools like Daves Creek ES, Big Creek ES and Johns Creek ES.

Hispanics also register as a noticeable presence in the county, as over 9% of the population of Forsyth County.

Which minority rates of 12% for Asians, over 9% for Hispanics, only 3.6% for Blacks and over 26% for minorities overall may not sound like much. But those percentages are very significant for an area like Forsyth County which has a historical reputation for white supremacy and where the population was virtually 100% white in the not-too-distant past.

Forsyth County has come a long way from the days (circa-pre 1990) when it was an isolated rural community that openly discouraged minorities (especially African-Americans) from even thinking of stepping foot in the county.
Daveís Creek, Johns Creek, Settles Bridge, Big Creek and Riverwatch MS are all majority Asian. Daveís Creek and Johns Creek are more than 70% Asian. A decade ago both of those schools were close to 90% white. In fact, Forsythís total white enrollment started declining slowly a few years ago. The county is already more diverse than Cherokee and itís only going to become more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 02:28 PM

683 posts, read 538,739 times
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either area. Cumming tends to be pricier due to its close proximity to GA-400 and the affluent areas of North Fulton.

Woodstock, however, also borders affluent parts of East Cobb and North Fulton. The Towne Lake area of Woodstock is affluent in its own right, and I would suggest you look there if you do decide on Woodstock. The Towne Lake Hills subdivision has beautiful homes in your price point. Not sure how Cumming's downtown is, but Woodstock's is quite nice

Old 04-19-2018, 03:24 PM

5,474 posts, read 4,960,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either area. Cumming tends to be pricier due to its close proximity to GA-400 and the affluent areas of North Fulton.

Woodstock, however, also borders affluent parts of East Cobb and North Fulton. The Towne Lake area of Woodstock is affluent in its own right, and I would suggest you look there if you do decide on Woodstock. The Towne Lake Hills subdivision has beautiful homes in your price point. Not sure how Cumming's downtown is, but Woodstock's is quite nice
These are some excellent points about the Woodstock area.

The Towne Lake Hills area is quite nice and affluent in its own right with a really good housing stock while the downtown village area of Woodstock has become quite an attraction in the Northwest metro Atlanta suburbs.

The one glaring weakness about an area like Cumming is that its downtown area currently seems to have no social appeal whatsoever.

Right now, Cumming's downtown is pretty much just about 5 government buildings (including 2 court buildings, Cumming City Hall, the Forsyth County Water Department, and the Forsyth County JAIL), a Dairy Queen, a couple of banks, a chicken processing plant and that's about it.

Cumming's downtown is pretty much just a utilitarian place to get some business done and has much work to do to become even as remotely appealing as the attractive, appealing and fun mixed-use village area of a downtown Woodstock.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:24 AM

11 posts, read 6,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
These are some excellent points about the Woodstock area.
Cumming's downtown is pretty much just a utilitarian place to get some business done and has much work to do to become even as remotely appealing as the attractive, appealing and fun mixed-use village area of a downtown Woodstock.
Spot on Re Downtown Cumming.

If you're in the sections of Cumming close to GA400 Exits 12/13 area, you are most likely going to gravitate towards Alpharetta / North Fulton for Social/dining/Shopping anyway.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:12 PM

683 posts, read 538,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
My wife and I own a business so we mostly work from home, although I travel once in a few weeks so the commute to the airport is a big concern.
One thing I forgot to mention, was comparing the commute to the airport. Although both areas don't have the greatest commutes to get there, Woodstock is roughly 10 miles closer to the airport than Cumming. If you can fly out during non-rush hour times, its about a 40-45 minute drive from Woodstock (have done this many times, as family from up north come down often). However, you throw in an accident or inclement weather, that can easily double.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:56 PM

5,474 posts, read 4,960,941 times
Quote:
My wife and I own a business so we mostly work from home, although I travel once in a few weeks so the commute to the airport is a big concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
One thing I forgot to mention, was comparing the commute to the airport. Although both areas don't have the greatest commutes to get there, Woodstock is roughly 10 miles closer to the airport than Cumming. If you can fly out during non-rush hour times, its about a 40-45 minute drive from Woodstock (have done this many times, as family from up north come down often). However, you throw in an accident or inclement weather, that can easily double.
vtecluder's comments about the distances between Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and far-Northern Crescent suburbs like Woodstock and Cumming raise a very important point that the reversible variable toll express lanes along Interstates 75 and 575 Northwest of Atlanta through Cobb and Cherokee counties (including through the Woodstock area along Interstate 575) are slated to be completed, open and operating later this year (potentially in late Summer).

The I-75/I-575 Northwest tolled express lanes will flow southbound in the morning and northbound in the afternoons and evenings and will feature variable tolls that will increase with the level of traffic on the I-75 and I-575 Northwest roadways.

(If he is able and willing to pay the variable tolls during peak traffic hours) The I-75/I-575 tolled express lanes will provide the OP with an option to bypass the heavy traffic in the untolled general purpose lanes on Interstates 75 and 575 during peak traffic hours (including during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours, during heavy weekend traffic periods, during vacation travel seasons like December/pre-Christmas break and March/April Spring Break, etc).

The tolls will be priced to keep the reversible express lanes moving at an average of 45 miles-per-hour at all times.

If the OP is able and willing to pay the tolls that will be place along the I-75 and I-575 Northwest express lanes during peak traffic hours, Woodstock may well be a more viable relocation option than the conventional wisdom might say, despite the roughly 40-mile-plus distance between the Woodstock area and the Atlanta Airport.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 2,423 times
Thank you for the immensely informative replies and discussion. We are in S Atlanta this weekend. Will be staying here through the night and discovering Peachtree City, Neewan, Tyrone and also Snellville (east).

We are now leaning more towards Woodstock now but will spend a few more weeks exploring Atlanta and live in each city though the weekend to understand the feel and life.

Thank you.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:35 PM

543 posts, read 328,082 times
Quote:
Thank you for the immensely informative replies and discussion. We are in S Atlanta this weekend. Will be staying here through the night and discovering Peachtree City, Neewan, Tyrone and also Snellville (east).

We are now leaning more towards Woodstock now but will spend a few more weeks exploring Atlanta and live in each city though the weekend to understand the feel and life.

Thank you.
If you need to be close to the airport, you should definitely consider Peachtree City/ Fayette County. McIntosh High in Peachtree City has the 5th highest SAT scores in the state and all schools in Peachtree City are consistently ranked in the top 10% of the state. The city also has the lowest crime rate in the state according to some publications. It's about 20-30 minutes from the airport so it's home to a lot of Delta executives and Pilots. The average family income here is well over 100K.

Peachtree City is a master planned upper-middle class suburb with over 100 miles of golf cart paths. There are over 12,000 registered golf carts in the city and families use them to drive to school, church, restaurants, parks, and shopping. Kids as young as 12 can drive golf carts with a parent and 15 and older can drive solo. Most high school kids drive golf carts to school which saves on car insurance!

Best Places to live-Peachtree City
48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME

Golf Carts:
https://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/01/...-peachtree-ci/

McIntosh High School (Peachtree City)
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/s...92/school.aspx

Braelinn Elementary (Peachtree City)
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/s...15/school.aspx

Starr's Mill High (Just right outside Peachtree City)
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/s...65/school.aspx

Also, here are a couple of typical PTC neighborhoods with 1-3 acre lots from the high 300's to 500's. Both also offer summer neighborhood swim teams.
Woodcreek

Planterra Ridge Community | Home Page

Old 04-23-2018, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 2,879 times
We have been in Woodstock for 6 years. We love it. Great schools, great little town, but yet I feel like we can get to anything we need pretty quickly. My husband travels quite a bit for his job and the airport is a little less than an hour away when you time out the drive right. The downtown area of woodstock has grown a ton. Fun little shops, great restaurants, and tons of concerts and events.

Let me know if you need help finding a home!

Old 04-24-2018, 05:33 PM

7,645 posts, read 4,106,439 times
You are doing an exercise in stereotyping, based upon a raw statistic. No County like Forsyth grows from ~25,000 to ~230,000 in a 25 year period without being significantly different. It simply does not happen.

As for the Hartsfield Jackson Airport commute of the OPís question. We go to the airport throughout the year via Marta, driving to the North Springs station and hopping on the train. The only time this is not viable is off hours when Marta has a lighter ( less frequent) schedule. So, if you are leaning toward Forsyth County, this might be factor. Totally not a possibility for the Woodstock area. Otherwise, I agree that both are great areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
I'd choose Woodstock over Cumming unless you can afford North Fulton. But i'm biased because i'm black and Cumming is still less than 5 percent black due to the legacy of its history as a bastion of white supremacists until very recently. Plus if you have kids that plan on going to college, Woodstock is a reasonable commute from KSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta