U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 PM
bu2
 
9,968 posts, read 6,422,293 times
Reputation: 4149

Advertisements

Druid Hills has a pretty large zone as its the result of a merger of all or parts of 4 high schools. Briarcliff, Shamrock HS (now Druid Hills MS) and Avondale HS all closed and sent all or a good part of their students to Druid Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:04 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Lots of people have been involved. And that building wasn't worth saving -- though I know the alumni wish it were.

It was apparently the only affordable option (the other best option was to buy some apartment complexes and homes adjoining the current Cross Keys high school. City of Brookhaven apparently thought it could be affordable-- the school system didn't.

Projected opening isn't till August 2022 and I expect redistricting that will affect all three clusters -- Lakeside, Cross Keys and Druid hills
The alumni (I being one of them) could give a hang at this point about the building, I assure you. We certainly don't want our legacy associated with this mess. True, however, that more than one experienced engineer called them out about their inflated figures regarding rehab of the existing building. The consensus among them was that the real cost of rehabilitation was about 1/3 of the projections the board presented.

The people that are unhappy about it:

The community surrounding the 'new school', as they anticipate (along with many other neighborhoods) another fruit basket turnover of redistricting. My neighbors, who have two preschool daughters, have already put their house on the market...having seen the writing on the wall.

The families of the children directly affected by the choice...they abhor the idea of their kids being transported daily across that increasingly horrible morass of traffic on NDH at I-85.

The residents of the area that will see no positives from this. Their children will be shipped off to more far flung educational gulags, and the incoming CHOA juggernaut (due about the same time as the new school...coup de grace) will make the roads impassable.

As to those who will be happy about it...I won't openly speculate. I certainly don't want to invite controversy onto this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:05 PM
 
13,560 posts, read 22,014,906 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Want some inside scoop (not really inside cause it isn't a secret, but ...)

When the decision was made that by the current Superintendent that he was going to change things at Cross Keys he met with parents from Ashford Park Elementary School. (APES went to CK High School until the early 2000s when parents advocated for it to be moved to Chamblee) Dr. Green told them they would be at the new CK High School. That community has been working for 1.5 years to build community support for this and help design a school that would work well for all students. (As your probably know CKHS is mostly immigrants whose parents don't speak English at home. It is a challenging student population with a dedicated teaching staff.)

But now all heck is breaking lose. the new location is horrible for the families West of I-85. It wasn't what the Super promised and it doesn't fix the myriad of problems with the CKHS attendance zone.

I wouldn't buy stock in this location just yet-- I suspect that is going to be a mighty lot of pushback in the next few weeks.

so much more I could type, but that is some of the current mess in a nutshell
I figured as much...considering the "weirdness" of the Chamblee and Cross Keys zones.


Do tell more, when you get the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:25 PM
bu2
 
9,968 posts, read 6,422,293 times
Reputation: 4149
This is a map of the high school attendance zones. The old Briarcliff HS is close to the Margaret Harris comprehensive school shown on the map (just south of it). Map shows the latest Atlanta annexations. https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/docu...ps/regions.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:37 PM
 
13,560 posts, read 22,014,906 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Want some inside scoop (not really inside cause it isn't a secret, but ...)

When the decision was made that by the current Superintendent that he was going to change things at Cross Keys he met with parents from Ashford Park Elementary School. (APES went to CK High School until the early 2000s when parents advocated for it to be moved to Chamblee) Dr. Green told them they would be at the new CK High School. That community has been working for 1.5 years to build community support for this and help design a school that would work well for all students. (As your probably know CKHS is mostly immigrants whose parents don't speak English at home. It is a challenging student population with a dedicated teaching staff.)

But now all heck is breaking lose. the new location is horrible for the families West of I-85. It wasn't what the Super promised and it doesn't fix the myriad of problems with the CKHS attendance zone.

I wouldn't buy stock in this location just yet-- I suspect that is going to be a mighty lot of pushback in the next few weeks.

so much more I could type, but that is some of the current mess in a nutshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
This is a map of the high school attendance zones. The old Briarcliff HS is close to the Margaret Harris comprehensive school shown on the map (just south of it). Map shows the latest Atlanta annexations. https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/docu...ps/regions.pdf

Early redistricting recommendation:

Chamblee High
Montgomery
Huntley Hills
Cary Reynolds
New Doraville Area Elementary
Ashford Park

Briarcliff High (new)
Briar Vista
Sagamore Hills
Woodward
Montclair
John Lewis

Druid Hills High
Fernbank
Laurel Ridge
McLendon
Avondale

Lakeside High
Oak Grove
Briarlake
Hawthorne
Henderson Mill
Dresden
Pleasantdale

Tucker High
Evansdale
Livsey
Midvale
Brockett
Smoke Rise

(Idlewood --> to Clarkston or Stone Mountain)

Last edited by aries4118; 04-17-2018 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 PM
 
13,560 posts, read 22,014,906 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Want some inside scoop (not really inside cause it isn't a secret, but ...)

When the decision was made that by the current Superintendent that he was going to change things at Cross Keys he met with parents from Ashford Park Elementary School. (APES went to CK High School until the early 2000s when parents advocated for it to be moved to Chamblee) Dr. Green told them they would be at the new CK High School. That community has been working for 1.5 years to build community support for this and help design a school that would work well for all students. (As your probably know CKHS is mostly immigrants whose parents don't speak English at home. It is a challenging student population with a dedicated teaching staff.)

But now all heck is breaking lose. the new location is horrible for the families West of I-85. It wasn't what the Super promised and it doesn't fix the myriad of problems with the CKHS attendance zone.

I wouldn't buy stock in this location just yet-- I suspect that is going to be a mighty lot of pushback in the next few weeks.

so much more I could type, but that is some of the current mess in a nutshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
"...The DeKalb Board of Education approved building the new Cross Keys High School at the former Briarcliff High School site on North Druid Hills Road despite opposition from the three board members closest to the area....

Thousands live on the north and west side of I-85. We’d be pushing them through what has historically been ranked one of the ten worst transportation corridors in metro Atlanta,” Orson said...."


It is really difficult getting across I-85 to the attendance zone. And a good part of the attendance zone is around Doraville, which is even more difficult.

Cross Keys is an obviously gerrymandered zone to keep all the Hispanics together. Building a 1500 seat middle school with a 2500 seat HS is a way to make that permanent. That means you keep Doraville kids going across the county and passing around the Chamblee zone. I would think they would win a lawsuit if anybody tried. There's nothing logical about the zone except as a way to segregate the Hispanics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
This is a map of the high school attendance zones. The old Briarcliff HS is close to the Margaret Harris comprehensive school shown on the map (just south of it). Map shows the latest Atlanta annexations. https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/docu...ps/regions.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Early redistricting recommendation:

Chamblee High
Montgomery
Huntley Hills
Cary Reynolds
New Doraville Area Elementary
Ashford Park

Briarcliff High (new)
Briar Vista
Sagamore Hills
Woodward
Montclair
John Lewis

Druid Hills High
Fernbank
Laurel Ridge
McLendon
Avondale

Lakeside High
Oak Grove
Briarlake
Hawthorne
Henderson Mill
Dresden
Pleasantdale

Tucker High
Evansdale
Livsey
Midvale
Brockett
Smoke Rise

(Idlewood --> to Clarkston or Stone Mountain)

Look here:

DCSD School Locator

http://beta.dekalb.k12.ga.us/www/doc...chools-map.pdf
{easy-to-read map}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2018, 07:12 AM
bu2
 
9,968 posts, read 6,422,293 times
Reputation: 4149
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
More logical. But there will be some howling. Evansdale and Sagamore Hills will be up in arms. Idlewood possibly also. I think Evansdale supported the La Vista Hills city proposal higher than any other area even though many people think of them as "Tucker." Schools were part of the reason as there is periodic talk of allowing cities to band to create new school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2018, 06:31 PM
bu2
 
9,968 posts, read 6,422,293 times
Reputation: 4149
New Cross Keys High School will be constructed at former Briarcliff High School site | NeighborNewsOnline.com | Suburban Atlanta's Local News Source | mdjonline.com

CHOA has committed some money ($10 million) to study and improve traffic in the area, but I don't know what they can do except maybe have Briarwood or Cliff Valley go through from Briarcliff to Buford Highway under I-85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2018, 07:45 PM
 
13,560 posts, read 22,014,906 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
More logical. But there will be some howling. Evansdale and Sagamore Hills will be up in arms. Idlewood possibly also. I think Evansdale supported the La Vista Hills city proposal higher than any other area even though many people think of them as "Tucker." Schools were part of the reason as there is periodic talk of allowing cities to band to create new school districts.
Thanks.

Yes, there would be howling from Evansdale and Sagamore Hills.

And you are right about Evansdale and their “idea.” And I also see Evansdale as part of Tucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2018, 08:00 PM
 
29,345 posts, read 26,295,932 times
Reputation: 10262
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
More logical. But there will be some howling. Evansdale and Sagamore Hills will be up in arms. Idlewood possibly also. I think Evansdale supported the La Vista Hills city proposal higher than any other area even though many people think of them as "Tucker." Schools were part of the reason as there is periodic talk of allowing cities to band to create new school districts.
Seems like Idlewood would naturally go to Tucker. Idlewood is Tucker's Main Street and as I recall it dead ends at the high school's front door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top