Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times

Advertisements

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...iff-high-site/

Across from Target on Druid Hills Rd—it’s already a mess of traffic—probably result in a rezone from Druid Hills High.

Last edited by jeoff; 04-17-2018 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Yep. A classmate from the Class of 73 called me today to ask me if I wanted a brick from my old Alma Mater. She was trespassing and collecting memorabilia from the old building after last night's meeting.
Yet another example of the DCSS Board forging ahead with the blessings of ABSOLUTELY NO ONE ELSE INVOLVED.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:09 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yep. A classmate from the Class of 73 called me today to ask me if I wanted a brick from my old Alma Mater. She was trespassing and collecting memorabilia from the old building after last night's meeting.
Yet another example of the DCSS Board forging ahead with the blessings of ABSOLUTELY NO ONE ELSE INVOLVED.
Lots of people have been involved. And that building wasn't worth saving -- though I know the alumni wish it were.

It was apparently the only affordable option (the other best option was to buy some apartment complexes and homes adjoining the current Cross Keys high school. City of Brookhaven apparently thought it could be affordable-- the school system didn't.

Projected opening isn't till August 2022 and I expect redistricting that will affect all three clusters -- Lakeside, Cross Keys and Druid hills

Old 04-17-2018, 08:15 PM

I was actually offered a teaching job there in the early-mid 90s when it was Dekalb’s “Open Campus”, but I had just accepted a job at McNair High, so I turned it down.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:17 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post

Across from Target on Druid Hills Rd—it’s already a mess of traffic—probably result in a rezone from Druid Hills High.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Lots of people have been involved. And that building wasn't worth saving -- though I know the alumni wish it were.

It was apparently the only affordable option (the other best option was to buy some apartment complexes and homes adjoining the current Cross Keys high school. City of Brookhaven apparently thought it could be affordable-- the school system didn't.

Projected opening isn't till August 2022 and I expect redistricting that will affect all three clusters -- Lakeside, Cross Keys and Druid hills

When I first saw this, I thought, "This is going to be a political nightmare!" {reminiscent of the mess around the Hillgrove High redistricting that involved McEachern High and Kennesaw Mountain High--that did NOT turn out well}

However, the more I think about it, if they involve Chamblee High along with Cross Keys, Lakeside, Druid Hills (and maybe even Tucker), I think there is a chance--with careful redistricting--to make four or five strong high schools.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
When I first saw this, I thought, "This is going to be a political nightmare!" {reminiscent of the mess around the Hillgrove High redistricting that involved McEachern High and Kennesaw Mountain High--that did NOT turn out well}

However, the more I think about it, if they involve Chamblee High along with Cross Keys, Lakeside, Druid Hills (and maybe even Tucker), I think there is a chance--with careful redistricting--to make four or five strong high schools.

My early recommendation...

Center each high school cluster around at least one strong, not-likely-to-ever-go-down-anymore elementary school:

Cross Keys --> Ashford Park
Chamblee --> Montgomery (along with Huntley Hills)
Druid Hills --> Fernbank (along with Laurel Ridge)
Lakeside --> Oak Grove (along with Briarlake and Hawthorne)
Tucker --> Evansdale (along with Livsey and Henderson Mill)

*Notice the other strong elementary schools that I did not list. The unlisted are more likely to get redistricted--if I did not already designate it as a "redistricting" above.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post

Quote:
Quote:

And since it will be moved, the new high school should be called Briarcliff High and the new middle school should be called Cross Keys Middle.

In this case, with all of the redistricting to be involved, a re-branding of the high school would be wise--well really, a must.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:37 PM

Funny, this will put two Dekalb County High Schools in the area that was under serious consideration for annexation into the City of Atlanta a few years back.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:38 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
My early recommendation...

Center each high school cluster around at least one strong, not-likely-to-ever-go-down-anymore elementary school:

Cross Keys --> Ashford Park
Chamblee --> Montgomery (along with Huntley Hills)
Druid Hills --> Fernbank (along with Laurel Ridge)
Lakeside --> Oak Grove (along with Briarlake and Hawthorne)
Tucker --> Evansdale (along with Livsey and Henderson Mill)

*Notice the other strong elementary schools that I did not list. The unlisted are more likely to get redistricted--if I did not already designate it as a "redistricting" above.
Want some inside scoop (not really inside cause it isn't a secret, but ...)

When the decision was made that by the current Superintendent that he was going to change things at Cross Keys he met with parents from Ashford Park Elementary School. (APES went to CK High School until the early 2000s when parents advocated for it to be moved to Chamblee) Dr. Green told them they would be at the new CK High School. That community has been working for 1.5 years to build community support for this and help design a school that would work well for all students. (As your probably know CKHS is mostly immigrants whose parents don't speak English at home. It is a challenging student population with a dedicated teaching staff.)

But now all heck is breaking lose. the new location is horrible for the families West of I-85. It wasn't what the Super promised and it doesn't fix the myriad of problems with the CKHS attendance zone.

I wouldn't buy stock in this location just yet-- I suspect that is going to be a mighty lot of pushback in the next few weeks.

so much more I could type, but that is some of the current mess in a nutshell

Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Want some inside scoop (not really inside cause it isn't a secret, but ...)

When the decision was made that by the current Superintendent that he was going to change things at Cross Keys he met with parents from Ashford Park Elementary School. (APES went to CK High School until the early 2000s when parents advocated for it to be moved to Chamblee) Dr. Green told them they would be at the new CK High School. That community has been working for 1.5 years to build community support for this and help design a school that would work well for all students. (As your probably know CKHS is mostly immigrants whose parents don't speak English at home. It is a challenging student population with a dedicated teaching staff.)

But now all heck is breaking lose. the new location is horrible for the families West of I-85. It wasn't what the Super promised and it doesn't fix the myriad of problems with the CKHS attendance zone.

I wouldn't buy stock in this location just yet-- I suspect that is going to be a mighty lot of pushback in the next few weeks.

so much more I could type, but that is some of the current mess in a nutshell

"...The DeKalb Board of Education approved building the new Cross Keys High School at the former Briarcliff High School site on North Druid Hills Road despite opposition from the three board members closest to the area....

Thousands live on the north and west side of I-85. We’d be pushing them through what has historically been ranked one of the ten worst transportation corridors in metro Atlanta,” Orson said...."

It is really difficult getting across I-85 to the attendance zone. And a good part of the attendance zone is around Doraville, which is even more difficult.

Cross Keys is an obviously gerrymandered zone to keep all the Hispanics together. Building a 1500 seat middle school with a 2500 seat HS is a way to make that permanent. That means you keep Doraville kids going across the county and passing around the Chamblee zone. I would think they would win a lawsuit if anybody tried. There's nothing logical about the zone except as a way to segregate the Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta