U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2018, 08:58 PM
 
29,188 posts, read 26,118,739 times
Reputation: 10183

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Do you really believe that there are white-owned clubs in that area that #1 cause as much as crime and #2 are being "let off the hook" of the increased fees because they are white owned?
I'm not saying they have to be in that area. What about white owned clubs in other parts of Brookhaven. Are they being targeted on alcohol license fees?

The only one I can think of would be the Pink Pony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2018, 08:58 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
22,675 posts, read 34,749,404 times
Reputation: 14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Uh, that's not how lawsuits work. The plaintiffs have to prove their case.
And the defendants have to have a defense, in case you're having trouble following.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 09:28 PM
 
8,259 posts, read 10,181,719 times
Reputation: 6340
Quote:
Well, they may have evidence about the high crime rate at these clubs but that doesn't mean they aren't targeting black club owners. How many white owned clubs have been singled out under Brookhaven's alcohol regulations?
Wait a second....

Are we talking about clubs that are black owned, or clubs that cater to black clientele?

Maybe they are the same in this case, I don't know. But I do know that gay clubs are often owned by straight people (and of course, vice versa), so I'm not so sure all these black clubs are actually owned by black people. But maybe they are. I don't know, but who do you think the targets are?

My guess is it's the clientele and Brookhaven couldn't care less who owns the clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 PM
 
29,188 posts, read 26,118,739 times
Reputation: 10183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Wait a second....

Are we talking about clubs that are black owned, or clubs that cater to black clientele?

Maybe they are the same in this case, I don't know. But I do know that gay clubs are often owned by straight people (and of course, vice versa), so I'm not so sure all these black clubs are actually owned by black people. But maybe they are. I don't know, but who do you think the targets are?

My guess is it's the clientele and Brookhaven couldn't care less who owns the clubs.
According to the clubs' lawsuit it is both the owners and the clientele.

Quote:
"The federal lawsuit notes the licensee for Josephine’s was born in Cameroon, Africa, and is a naturalized citizen. The licensees for Medusa and XS Restaurant & Lounge were born in Ethiopia and are also naturalized citizens. Each club caters to a primarily African and African-American crowds and were treated differently than clubs in the city that catered to a majority white crowd, according to the lawsuit."
If the plaintiffs show that white owned/patronized clubs with high crime rates are being let off the hook for high license fees, Brookhaven may be in trouble on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 PM
 
1,411 posts, read 767,728 times
Reputation: 2050
I don't see a problem with this. Brookhaven is an affluent town and one of the reasons they incorporated was so they could exert control over local issues and create a safe environment. I don't think Brookhaven is targeting black clubs, they are targeting clubs that cause a large amount of crime. It just so happens those clubs tend to be the clubs with a higher black clientele, which isn't surprising if you read local news, there often seems to be shootings and violence around the black clubs. With alcohol, guns, and sex mixing in a chatoic environment in city with a large amount of rival gangs, it just makes sense that clubs with high black clientele might have some issues with crime.

If Brookhaven is targeting clubs that dont have higher crime simply because of a high black clientele, that's completely different. But just because there is correlation between race and crime doesn't mean what Brookhaven is doing is racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 09:42 PM
 
4,957 posts, read 3,247,830 times
Reputation: 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
The establishments that cause a disproportionate amount of crime SHOULD have to pay more than law abiders. Anyone can sue for any valid or invalid reason so taking a club owners lawsuit as fact is folly.
Sure...so base your increased fees on the amount of crime they cause, not because they happen to be an "entertainment establishment". With this rule, every similar business who doesn't have crime issues has to pay these fees, although I'm sure there's a way around it if you don't fit the profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 09:52 PM
 
8,259 posts, read 10,181,719 times
Reputation: 6340
Quote:
If the plaintiffs show that white owned/patronized clubs with high crime rates are being let off the hook for high license fees, Brookhaven may be in trouble on this.
Good luck finding white owned/patronized clubs with similar crime rates. And what even is a "white" club? Every club I've ever been to has visitors of all ethnicities.

Except black clubs. I've definitely been the only white person in black clubs before. But I've never been in a "white" club with no black people before. Maybe they exist? I don't know where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,515 posts, read 4,243,862 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Who didn't see this coming? Brookhaven, The City That Never Learns.

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...ay-nightclubs/
I guess this is yet another sign that the USA is not a post-racial nation.

Moreso in the southeast regions, but the north as in New York City and the west as in California...are showing increasingly obvious signs of unfortunate racial/ethnic fracturing as well. The northwest areas are also showing some disappointment as well.

But I would also say that classism may play a large role as well.

I am honestly out of answers for what the solution may be.

At least solutions that don't involve extreme pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 06:42 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
22,675 posts, read 34,749,404 times
Reputation: 14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I don't see a problem with this. Brookhaven is an affluent town and one of the reasons they incorporated was so they could exert control over local issues and create a safe environment. I don't think Brookhaven is targeting black clubs, they are targeting clubs that cause a large amount of crime. It just so happens those clubs tend to be the clubs with a higher black clientele, which isn't surprising if you read local news, there often seems to be shootings and violence around the black clubs. With alcohol, guns, and sex mixing in a chatoic environment in city with a large amount of rival gangs, it just makes sense that clubs with high black clientele might have some issues with crime.

If Brookhaven is targeting clubs that dont have higher crime simply because of a high black clientele, that's completely different. But just because there is correlation between race and crime doesn't mean what Brookhaven is doing is racist.
Forget racism. We're talking about a violation of civil rights and taking punitive measures against a legal entity based on the suggestion that laws are being violated. I've yet to see tangible proof offered by Brookhaven's City Attorney, Chris Balch (who is quickly acquiring a reputation for playing it fast and loose with the state's Eminent Domain laws).

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...t-domain-case/

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-21-2018 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,102 posts, read 3,422,186 times
Reputation: 4329
And the plot thickens. They've suspended 8 more Licenses, mostly at Latin clubs. This is the beginning of the remake of the Buford Highway corridor...

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...htlife-venues/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top