U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-27-2018, 03:58 PM
 
2,510 posts, read 1,284,331 times
Reputation: 6670

Advertisements

I thought Rush Lounge was mostly white kids listening to EDM, with a white couple owning it or at least partnering in the business, and they were charged $100k as well.

Don’t jump all over me, I have no opinion about the license fee either way, just pointing out that Rush doesn’t seem to be a minority business.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2018, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I thought Rush Lounge was mostly white kids listening to EDM, with a white couple owning it or at least partnering in the business, and they were charged $100k as well.

Donít jump all over me, I have no opinion about the license fee either way, just pointing out that Rush doesnít seem to be a minority business.
Traditionally, it has been, but I do get the impression from their website that they're drawing in a more mixed crowd.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/rush-lounge-atlanta

The reviews are generally pretty unflattering, I must say.
I've certainly never heard anything about it being a crime problem, however.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 07:21 AM
 
1,383 posts, read 2,479,199 times
Reputation: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
My dear, you're really not making sense at this point. Get some rest.
Nice cop out. You couldn't answer simple questions and failed to see my most simplistic of points as well. Great argument you got going there Icon.

Again, when people start throwing out accusations without any proof it is dangerous. People who do this are part of the problem, not the solution. You could very well be right. That is not the point.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Nice cop out. You couldn't answer simple questions and failed to see my most simplistic of points as well. Great argument you got going there Icon.

Again, when people start throwing out accusations without any proof it is dangerous. People who do this are part of the problem, not the solution. You could very well be right. That is not the point.
What 'simple questions' are you referring to? And exactly whom am I endangering?

Bloviate much?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 07:06 PM
 
1,383 posts, read 2,479,199 times
Reputation: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
What 'simple questions' are you referring to? And exactly whom am I endangering?

Bloviate much?
I ask two simple questions in my post. Your response deflected because you had no good answer.

You endanger race relations by dangerously making unclaimed allegations. Don't worry though, you are not alone. There are millions upon millions of people who would rather jump to conclusions and point fingers.

So while you think you are not racist (maybe you don't, not sure), or generalize about groups .... you are doing the very same thing that actual racists do. Hypocrite much?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I ask two simple questions in my post. Your response deflected because you had no good answer.

You endanger race relations by dangerously making unclaimed allegations. Don't worry though, you are not alone. There are millions upon millions of people who would rather jump to conclusions and point fingers.

So while you think you are not racist (maybe you don't, not sure), or generalize about groups .... you are doing the very same thing that actual racists do. Hypocrite much?
Your handwringing and misguided accusations have become tiresome, not to mention sophomoric.
Apparently I'm not a voice in the wilderness on this issue. See comments.

https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/?comm...ldxlrFFYEFBN79
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 08:36 PM
 
1,383 posts, read 2,479,199 times
Reputation: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Your handwringing and misguided accusations have become tiresome, not to mention sophomoric.
Apparently I'm not a voice in the wilderness on this issue. See comments.

https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/?comm...ldxlrFFYEFBN79
Your link doesn't work for people not in that neighborhood. But your point which I already made for you in my previous post... yes, I understand that there are many, many people who think like you. I think my exact words were "millions upon millions". But thanks for clarifying further.

While you think this is a race issue could this not possibly be a use issue? Or is that out of the realm of possibility?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Your link doesn't work for people not in that neighborhood. But your point which I already made for you in my previous post... yes, I understand that there are many, many people who think like you. I think my exact words were "millions upon millions". But thanks for clarifying further.

While you think this is a race issue could this not possibly be a use issue? Or is that out of the realm of possibility?
To anyone with a set of working eyeballs it is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 PM
 
1,383 posts, read 2,479,199 times
Reputation: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
To anyone with a set of working eyeballs it is.

What if the city hands over compelling evidence of a disproportionate use of city services?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2018, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
What if the city hands over compelling evidence of a disproportionate use of city services?
Possibly, but that is one of the issues involved. Where is this 'compelling evidence'? And where do you draw the line? If a customer commits a crime at 2 AM and was on your premises at 10 PM, should that fact alone confer responsibility upon you? Or is it perfectly OK for a municipality to take these Draconian measures against you simply because you're catering to people they deem 'unacceptable by community standards'?

Their train of thought seems to run along these lines:

I don't like these clubs.
I think they bring crime into our city.
How do we get rid of them?
And how we do it without running off the clubs we like that give us money as well?
We can't afford a larger police presence; we can barely afford what we have.
We need more money...lots of it.
What do the 'bad' clubs have in common that the 'good' clubs don't?
Well, they all have either a DJ, a stage or a dance floor (or in some cases, what might look like one).
Anyone that has those things should be charged a extra fee. A big one. We'll call it a 'fee for entertainment venues'.

There are crime concerns in Brooknaven. I get that. But this approach to the problem is inequitable, amateurish and legally questionable; clearly the Feds share my thoughts on the latter.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top