U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 06:51 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,479,199 times

Advertisements

They say they have it. We shall see.

You keep saying clubs are being treated differently. My point was that 1) The only clubs in Brookhaven are on Buford Hwy. 2) They are mostly all minority owned.

So to say they are being treated differently than what?... white clubs that don't even exist? Don't you have to have a frame of reference to go from to make that claim?

I have no issue with a use tax. I pay them all the time. So do most who drive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 AM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
There are crime concerns in Brooknaven. I get that. But this approach to the problem is inequitable, amateurish and legally questionable; clearly the Feds share my thoughts on the latter.
Oh, my! Are the Feds now getting involved in this situation?

Old 05-01-2018, 07:11 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, my! Are the Feds now getting involved in this situation?
Arjay, that's the gist of this thread. From the OP:

"A federal civil rights lawsuit alleges the city of Brookhaven is targeting African-American clubs to put them out of business through the recent overhaul of its alcohol ordinance that now requires certain venues pay $100,000 in alcohol license fees and not sell booze on Sundays."

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...ay-nightclubs/

Old 05-01-2018, 07:17 AM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Arjay, that's the gist of this thread. From the OP:

A federal civil rights lawsuit alleges the city of Brookhaven is targeting African-American clubs to put them out of business through the recent overhaul of its alcohol ordinance that now requires certain venues pay $100,000 in alcohol license fees and not sell booze on Sundays.

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...ay-nightclubs/
Oh, okay. I was thinking this is a private lawsuit filed in federal court where the clubs are claiming their civil rights were violated. If the federal government is actually getting involved that raises it to a different level.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
They say they have it. We shall see.

You keep saying clubs are being treated differently. My point was that 1) The only clubs in Brookhaven are on Buford Hwy. 2) They are mostly all minority owned.
I'd agree that the Lion's Share of the nightclubs are on Buford Highway, but there is the burgeoning entertainment district on Dresden at Peachtree, I expect that it will continue to evolve and begin to move up Peachtree in the years to come. I also expect that Brookhaven will encourage this. It remains to be seen if clubs on the 'vanilla' side of town will be held to the same standard. Like you say, we shall see.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I'd agree that the Lion's Share of the nightclubs are on Buford Highway, but there is the burgeoning entertainment district on Dresden at Peachtree, I expect that it will continue to evolve and begin to move up Peachtree in the years to come. I also expect that Brookhaven will encourage this. It remains to be seen if clubs on the 'vanilla' side of town will be held to the same standard. Like you say, we shall see.
I would not categorize Kaleidoscope, Haven, Pour, or anything at the Ptree intersection as "entertainment". They are restaurants first and foremost that have bar scene afterward. They are also not open into the wee hours of the night either.

Kaleidoscope's (the most active) posted hrs on the google search is not accurate either. I was there last Friday and shut it down just before 1am. Not 3am. Haven does have live music on the weekend. Shuts down before 10pm I believe.

When Dresden starts to look like Highland Avenue we will see what they do. I don't see Dresden becoming more than it is as any additional development is sadly just going to be more apartments.

My guess in the final outcome here is that the license fee is lowered. While I do think usage tax is ok, I think the 100k is a bit high.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:44 AM

4,644 posts, read 3,013,900 times
Quote:
When Dresden starts to look like Highland Avenue we will see what they do. I don't see Dresden becoming more than it is as any additional development is sadly just going to be more apartments.
The new apartments about to replace the Tag office block will have lot's of retail on the ground floor.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The new apartments about to replace the Tag office block will have lot's of retail on the ground floor.
None will be clubs. Maybe a franchise or two of some sort.

We will see what is eventually built at the MARTA station. Doubtful any clubs will go in or around Dresden or on Ptree. There are higher and better uses of the land/retail space.

(crossing fingers a pool hall of some sorts comes to the corridor)

Old 05-01-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I would not categorize Kaleidoscope, Haven, Pour, or anything at the Ptree intersection as "entertainment". They are restaurants first and foremost that have bar scene afterward. They are also not open into the wee hours of the night either.

Kaleidoscope's (the most active) posted hrs on the google search is not accurate either. I was there last Friday and shut it down just before 1am. Not 3am. Haven does have live music on the weekend. Shuts down before 10pm I believe.

My guess in the final outcome here is that the license fee is lowered. While I do think usage tax is ok, I think the 100k is a bit high.
The venues you cited feature live entertainment, nonetheless. This 'that one has this, that one has that' argument just sounds like equivocation after a while.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The venues you cited feature live entertainment, nonetheless. This 'that one has this, that one has that' argument just sounds like equivocation after a while.
I think there is a big difference btwn a club and having a guitarist for brunch. Maybe itís just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or