U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 06:32 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times

Advertisements

Who didn't see this coming? Brookhaven, The City That Never Learns.

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...ay-nightclubs/
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 06:56 AM

9,554 posts, read 8,616,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Who didn't see this coming? Brookhaven, The City That Never Learns.

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...ay-nightclubs/
Wow. I had no idea that they were selectively applying the ordinance. Thought it was universal. Oops.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:34 AM
bu2

8,967 posts, read 5,662,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Wow. I had no idea that they were selectively applying the ordinance. Thought it was universal. Oops.
Well that's the claim. Not necessarily true.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well that's the claim. Not necessarily true.
"The city states it was forced to create a new category of “entertainment venue” and raise its alcohol license fees because of recorded instances of rising crime rates along Buford Highway caused by certain late-night venues and denies any racial profiling."

A New Category of entertainment venue? Certain types of late-night venues? Really? This is borderline Jim Crow territory when you get down to it.

The city says the steep fee stems from concerns about crime it says it related to Buford Highway nightlife. In the latest example, on April 9, champion boxer Floyd Mayweather’s bodyguard was shot and injured in front of a Buckhead hotel after Mayweather hosted a party at Medusa.

An incident that did not occur at Medusa, nor in Brookhaven, but miles from it. But Medusa is being used as a justification for what essentially is a protection shakedown.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:17 AM

28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
When this first came out it looked like they were basing the increased license fees on high crime venues. But it is just plain blockheaded for them to enforce this against blacks only. I predict they'll get burned in this lawsuit.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:09 PM

991 posts, read 516,231 times
The establishments that cause a disproportionate amount of crime SHOULD have to pay more than law abiders. Anyone can sue for any valid or invalid reason so taking a club owners lawsuit as fact is folly.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
The establishments that cause a disproportionate amount of crime SHOULD have to pay more than law abiders. Anyone can sue for any valid or invalid reason so taking a club owners lawsuit as fact is folly.
No, they should be shut down altogether IF they are causing a disproportionate amount of crime...but first you have to prove that they are, rather than simply make it a matter of conjecture as in the case of Medusa and Floyd Mayweather.

People that don't look me +
People that don't listen to my music +
People that aren't my color =

People that cause a disproportionate amount of crime.

And until the Brookhaven popo presents hard evidence that these clubs are creating such a situation, the above looks pretty much like what's going on...stick it financially to the clubs that don't meet 'community standards' until they cry uncle.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:10 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
It's what Buckhead did. And they got away with it.

Do you really think they ever would have shut down Buckhead Village if it kept catering to the white 20-something post-frat boy crowd? The area started turning black. It was made widely public with the Ray Lewis shooting, but the fact of the matter is, residents were extremely unhappy with the influx of hip hop clubs and black party goers before that even happened. It just provided a convenient excuse.

And I guess I should also point out, it's not NECESSARILY because the Buckhead residents were racist. Oh, they may have been, I can't say with any degree of certainty that they weren't and aren't. But the fact that the African American party goers had dark skin was only part of the equation. The bigger, more important part was the culture they brought. Most notable was the cruising. The white frat boys tended to park their cars and then go act obnoxious inside bars and clubs. The African Americans leaned toward cruising in nice cars and acting obnoxious out their windows on public streets. More importantly, they clogged the streets and forced the area to institute "no cruising zones" where you could be ticketed if your car was spotted a certain amount of times in a specified time frame.

What I'm saying here is that I'm not going to sit and say that race in and of itself doesn't play a part. I'm positive it does. But I think an at least equal, and probably bigger part, is the behaviors of African American partiers are more likely to attract attention and make residents want to curb it. I'm sure that just saying that makes me racist. Oh well, it is what is.

At least, that's my anecdotal experience. I have no idea how white or black people are acting in Brookhaven these days.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:22 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,391,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's what Buckhead did. And they got away with it.

Do you really think they ever would have shut down Buckhead Village if it kept catering to the white 20-something post-frat boy crowd? The area started turning black. It was made widely public with the Ray Lewis shooting, but the fact of the matter is, residents were extremely unhappy with the influx of hip hop clubs and black party goers before that even happened. It just provided a convenient excuse.

And I guess I should also point out, it's not NECESSARILY because the Buckhead residents were racist. Oh, they may have been, I can't say with any degree of certainty that they weren't and aren't. But the fact that the African American party goers had dark skin was only part of the equation. The bigger, more important part was the culture they brought. Most notable was the cruising. The white frat boys tended to park their cars and then go act obnoxious inside bars and clubs. The African Americans leaned toward cruising in nice cars and acting obnoxious out their windows on public streets. More importantly, they clogged the streets and forced the area to institute "no cruising zones" where you could be ticketed if your car was spotted a certain amount of times in a specified time frame.

What I'm saying here is that I'm not going to sit and say that race in and of itself doesn't play a part. I'm positive it does. But I think an at least equal, and probably bigger part, is the behaviors of African American partiers are more likely to attract attention and make residents want to curb it. I'm sure that just saying that makes me racist. Oh well, it is what is.

At least, that's my anecdotal experience. I have no idea how white or black people are acting in Brookhaven these days.
Pretty much spot on about Buckhead

Old 04-20-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Pretty much spot on about Buckhead
"All venues in the lawsuit are located at Northeast Plaza on Buford Highway"

This is a different situation than the Buckhead Village party district. It had clubs with street frontage that resulted in pedestrian activity; naturally, cruising ensued. Northeast Plaza is a large strip mall with outbuildings wrapped around a large parking area. If there's criminal activity associated with the clubs it's going to take place either inside or in the parking area adjacent; I can see them being taken to task for that. But what exactly do they mean by this:

"The city states it was forced to create a new category of “entertainment venue” and raise its alcohol license fees because of recorded instances of rising crime rates along Buford Highway caused by certain late-night venues and denies any racial profiling."

Are we to infer that BPD is drawing a direct line between rising crime rates on the Buford Corridor and these three clubs? Based on what? This is the gray area for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or