U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 01:00 PM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

9,903 posts, read 6,375,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I hear you, JM.

But don't forget how resilient our planet is. Look at how they built Ansley Park, for example, which was typical of construction in that era. Then think about what it's been like for the last 50 years or so. It takes a little time but forests do come back.

I've seen early postcards from Druid Hills that show everything cleared around the houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 01:01 PM

5,176 posts, read 3,450,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
You may not like the way it looks personally. But that does not mean we should pass zoning laws to force your preferences on others, especially when it would result in reduced affordable housing options.

I think they look just fine.
While you desire to ram this down the throats of existing SFH neighborhoods, while there are unreal amounts of former close-in brownfields that could accommodate this - correct?

And this is also yet another development that totally clear-cut every single tree...

Old 04-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
You may not like the way it looks personally. But that does not mean we should pass zoning laws to force your preferences on others, especially when it would result in reduced affordable housing options.

I also think they look fine and that Atlanta needs more of this type of stuff. Not everyone can afford what they want in a single family home. Not everyone wants a SFH with the maintenance.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yeah...we went and visited there a few weeks ago. While the homes themselves are beautiful, it felt really crammed in. Hope no one there ever has a party with guests from other areas, as their guest parking is practically nil.
Guest parking is a separate issue. That can be a pain in some apartments or some in-town SFH neighborhoods.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:27 PM

4,988 posts, read 3,265,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Guest parking is a separate issue. That can be a pain in some apartments or some in-town SFH neighborhoods.
Trust me, I know...our neighborhood has tons of guest parking, although listening to other residents, you'd think there is almost none. We have one guest spot for about every three homes. And at times, all of them are full. There was a time before the HOA enforced parking rules where you couldn't even get through the neighborhood because of so many cars in the spaces and on the grass. Our neighborhood hit some sort of trifecta in young home ownership, wanting all of their friends to come over every day.

Quote:

WTF? He didn't say anything about banning them. He just doesn't like their appearance!

I do assume you are upset over the possibility of all those huge trees being cut down.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:50 PM

22,803 posts, read 34,841,282 times
Quote:
I've seen early postcards from Druid Hills that show everything cleared around the houses.
It wasn't a matter of 'clearing' in a lot of cases; a lot of the old streetcar suburbs were developed on already cleared farmland.

Druid Hills = Durand Farm
Ansley Park = Collier Farm
Inman Park = Hurt Farm

It wasn't like Atlanta was surrounded by virgin forest.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:02 PM

13,456 posts, read 21,935,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
While you desire to ram this down the throats of existing SFH neighborhoods, while there are unreal amounts of former close-in brownfields that could accommodate this - correct?

And this is also yet another development that totally clear-cut every single tree...

Exactly this.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:44 PM

29,257 posts, read 26,188,598 times
Quote:
A considerable amount of the tree cover in Brookhaven was removed when DeKalb was undergoing massive development back in the 1950s and 60s.

Here's what the area looked like by 1972.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:48 PM

13,456 posts, read 21,935,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
It wasn't a matter of 'clearing' in a lot of cases; a lot of the old streetcar suburbs were developed on already cleared farmland.

Druid Hills = Durand Farm
Ansley Park = Collier Farm
Inman Park = Hurt Farm

It wasn't like Atlanta was surrounded by virgin forest.
Yes, ma'am, you are so correct.

This was the case with some of the inner and mid-distance suburbs as well.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:29 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,760,663 times
I think localities should ban 1 car garage homes for their self interest. To me, they trap desperate first time homebuyers, and the locality gets stuck with a non appreciating asset that doesn’t pay as much taxes.

It also seems kind of sexist and harkens back to a time of 1 income households. Just my theory though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or