U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:41 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,891,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You couldn't be more absolutely clueless if you tried.
Must be. But you are not going to bother to clarify your double standard I assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 09:56 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Must be. But you are not going to bother to clarify your double standard I assume.
After having labeled me as everything from a racist to a now a sprawl monger simply because you disagree with my opinions, I don't owe you a damn thing.

Not only can you not be reasoned with, you instantly resort to personal attacks. You disgust me.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:31 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
So you have no problem with the out of control deforestation going on. Got it.
I am not sure where you got that from? How is this 1 street subdivision a forest? I support saving Ormewood Forest, but also support Grant Park Gateway and parking garage development because of critical thinking.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:08 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
I don't see legalizing more housing types as "more regulation". I would consider it "less regulation" if anything. But honestly, it is more just a change. Going to a more form-based zoning than what we have now.

I think they should be legal to build basically anywhere one desires, but reality is single family homes in city centers are just never going to be very economical. That is why legalizing thing like 2 to 10 unit places and ADUs are so important, it can allow people to stay in their homes by bringing in additional streams of income to cover the mortgage and at the same time add affordable units to the area for new families.

EDIT: Ryan directly says "loosen regulations". I am not sure where you are getting "more regulation" from.
"...We can also support related efforts to expand affordable housing, knowing that both investments and regulation are required to achieve density that is truly diverse...."

Old 04-24-2018, 09:27 AM

4,240 posts, read 2,816,756 times
Quote:
JMatl, you seem to have no problem with trees getting cut down when it was in Piedmont Park or Grant Park for a new parking deck:

The double-standard palpable.
One big difference here: the Grant Park project creates additional green space and has plans to plant dozens, if not more than 100, new trees. The Piedmont Park deck involved cutting down only a handful of trees, but it is now surrounded by them. A typical townhome development is clear cut with no trees planted. Where my home sits now used to be pure forest 15 years ago. It was clear cut, and I think they planted maybe 15 trees in the median. Not technically a double standard when you think about it.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:33 AM

4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I am not sure where you got that from? How is this 1 street subdivision a forest? I support saving Ormewood Forest, but also support Grant Park Gateway and parking garage development because of critical thinking.
You probably aren't familiar with this particular street cq, but there are some huge, towering trees there. This is a typical 1950's era DeKalb brick ranch large lot neighborhood, with a lush tree cover. If the developer could save only 10% of them, it would make an amazing difference when the townhomes are built. They won't even try though, as he as already stated.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:51 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
You probably aren't familiar with this particular street cq, but there are some huge, towering trees there. This is a typical 1950's era DeKalb brick ranch large lot neighborhood, with a lush tree cover. If the developer could save only 10% of them, it would make an amazing difference when the townhomes are built. They won't even try though, as he as already stated.
When a developer sees a tree, his brain interprets it as an incursion into his projected profit. Period.
And what's with this "Cut down the mature trees, we'll just plant seedlings" business? What utter nonsense.
We can't depend on municipal governments to protect tree cover, obviously. Civic associations are having to step in, establishing conservancies and land trusts to negotiate with developers to set aside areas to be protected. They are already achieving results with this approach.

http://www.medlockpark.org/2017/03/c...uid-hills.html

http://georgiaalabamalandtrust.org/p...a-mcconaughey/

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-24-2018 at 10:19 AM..

Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 AM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
It wouldn't be that big a burden to require the developer to put in half a dozen good sized trees. Give them 10 years and they'll be whoppers.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:28 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It wouldn't be that big a burden to require the developer to put in half a dozen good sized trees. Give them 10 years and they'll be whoppers.
Some places have ordinances that require tree replacement.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:09 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
To achieve the scale of the trees now located on Bramblewood Drive, you're talking more like 50-60 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or