U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 06:44 PM

4,114 posts, read 3,406,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
But at the same time, you seriously do not want to risk burdening your husband with a long and punishing rush hour commute.

You have to be careful not to accidentally or unwittingly stick your husband with a wretched rush hour commute because you committed to housing before you knew exactly where he would be commuting to and from for work each day and mistakenly thought that you were moving into a commutable location that really was not as commutable as you might have thought.
I completely agree with B2R. Although if you rent in the area I described it is close to the perimeter if he works in town.
After a year and he has found a job and the commute is ok and you like it. You can buy a house around there.
I understand about your husbands desire for privacy. But the area is so wooded in many parts that a smaller lot can get you some decent privacy.
here's an example
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...696118&view=qv
Nice neighborhood, schools decent to good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 07:05 PM
JAS

553 posts, read 1,719,515 times
I concur with Born 2 Roll. I live in the west Cobb area, at least for another year until my daughter graduates high school; my wife and I will then move to a smaller house/condo closer into town. I work in the Cumberland business district (just inside 285 in the NW metro area), and the commute takes about 45 minutes leaving around 6:30am. If I had to go into midtown, it would easily be an hour. If I had to go to Emory area, likely 1.5 hours, and that isn't leaving in the middle of rush hour. On occasion I go to the Buckhead business district first in the morning, and I leave the house at 6am to avoid a 1.5/2-hour commute.

Someone in our office lives in the Lawrenceville area, and it sometimes takes 2 hours for her to get to the office (fortunately, she works from home or off site a couple days per week).

I am fortunately able to make it to my office without using the interstates. There are literally accidents on at least one or two of the freeways every morning that slow things to a crawl or temporarily stop traffic on the interstates. When it's bad, it then spills over onto the surface streets.

The problem with living in PTC/Newnan aren't the communities, but there is no way he could take a job north of downtown and have under a 1.5/2 hour commute. But if you move too far into the Cobb area, a commute to Emory or nearby would bring a very stressful commute.

There are a lot of benefits to living in the Atlanta metro area (I moved from NC 11 years ago and don't regret my decision), but don't underestimate the effects of traffic on your quality of life if your job isn't somewhat near your residence, with "near" being a relative term (let's say a 45 minute commute or less). There simply isn't a way to have an acre lot within your budget, with good public schools, and not have a commute of around an hour ... not unless you happen to get lucky and find a suitable job OTP near that area, or you leave very early in the morning.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:35 PM

56 posts, read 78,278 times
We just moved from Raleigh to GA. Please find a job first. The commute and road rage here is beyond reasonable...thought aggressive driving was only in the north.. really disappointed to see that down south...put your indicator on to change lane...o my goodness..youíll be in for a surprise. Well enough of that rude shock..
You will find great advice here and a wealth of resources...I work downtown and live in Gwinnet county because of the schools...the traffic is not as bad because I leave early. But if you can, WORK WHERE YOU LIVE...is my advice and that is a fact down here.
We are renting now, havenít sold house in NC yet. Not in a rush to buy as we want to know the area and traffic patterns before buying.
Best of luck...you will love it here

Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 5,432 times
Thanks for the feedback, all. We definitely don't want to underestimate the level of traffic my husband will be facing on a daily basis. We're planning on visiting next weekend and will stay a few days to check things out. Hopefully that will allow us to check out the traffic first hand and determine if it's something we're willing to deal with. My husband has a long commute now and it's something that takes a toll on him as it is. Not sure that's something we want to continue to sign up for.

Wakeforest4sure, it seems like we're in the same position as we would be relocating but still keeping our NC home and just renting it out. Would you mind telling me how long your commute is and what time of the morning you leave and when you leave work in the evening? It seems you're happy with the move from Wake Forest - are there positive differences in your quality of life? What prompted the move to GA (i.e. what didn't you like about the Raleigh area)? Feel free to PM if you don't feel comfortable sharing on the board.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:41 PM

10 posts, read 2,782 times
Why did you pick Atlanta? Truthfully, your must haves will be a hard combination to find. I can do a search in the fmls if you would like and send it to you. It will also update you as often as you would like it to (once a day, week, etc..) when new homes hit the market that match your criteria. Let me know if you would like the list!

Old 04-23-2018, 04:48 PM

539 posts, read 317,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
While PTC Dad's posts about the communities in the South Atlanta metro are excellent, the only reason I would caution against those communities (Peachtree City, Tyrone, Newnan, Senoia, etc.) is because your husband may have a much harder time finding a job.

With exception to Kia Motors (30 minutes SW of Newnan) and Hartsfield-Jackson / Delta, most of the major job centers in Metro Atlanta are along and north of I-20 (Sandy Springs, Marietta, Alpharetta, etc.). Many employers north of I-20 would be very hesitant about hiring someone that lives well south of I-20, not only because of the traffic but also because of the distance (from Newnan to just downtown Atlanta, it's a good 40 mile drive one way). This would especially be a problem if your husband lands a job and then (heaven forbid) things happen and he has to look for another job a few months / years later. Then there's the consideration of gas prices too (which have recently begun to rise again). As an example, if your husband did land a job in, say, Marietta, and you guys buy a home in Newnan or Peachtree City, he's going to hate that commute every day if gas returns to $3-$4/gallon.

True, the film industry is booming in the South Atlanta metro, but most of the jobs being created are for those who specialize in film / tv production. A good 90% of the back office support businesses and regional / world HQs (which tend to hire a larger number of degreed individuals for well-paying jobs) are from downtown Atlanta and northward.
I agree, I think a lot of it will depend on her husband's job location. I certainly wouldn't want to commute from Peachtree City to the northside of town.

I would just caution writing off the entire southside, especially if they want to be closer to the airport or her husband finds a job near the airport or downtown. The commute from extreme northern Coweta County to downtown is about 30-35 minutes and about 15-20 minutes to the airport. They'll also probably find more homes on 1-2 acres in the 400K range in Fayette and Coweta than in East Cobb or North Fulton.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:50 PM

56 posts, read 78,278 times
GA to me has city, rural and Hollywood feel all in one place. What I like about GA compared with NC is that there are lots of fun stuff to do without traveling far. Job wise; most companies have their HQtrs here so job opportunities abound. I leave for work at 5:20am and takes me about 40mins to work. Although I get off at 2pm I prefer the 3pm traffic as it’s not as dense compared with 2pm rush hour. We travelled here 3 times before our final move but that didn’t prepare us enough. We were lucky to have been in corporate housing for a while so was able to check areas before renting. Even though I love where we are now, I’d move closer to work if the schools were good. So for now we will be in this area because of the schools.
Let me know if I can help. Folks here are very helpful they will not give you any wrong advice on this forum. Just do your research and stick with what makes sense for you and your family.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:09 PM

1,137 posts, read 473,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyrules View Post
I appreciate all the great advice I've received so far! I realize we're limited thus far since we don't know where my husband will be working just yet. He's got his resume out there. He's an accountant so he can work with any type of company which is why we felt we could try to figure out a location since home and schooling matter. This will be our home for at least the next 10 years (if not our "forever") home so that is why we have a few must haves we don't want to compromise on (my husband will not budge on the acre+ requirement).

We understand and further see that we're priced out of the nicer areas for what we want but did happen to find our wish list in the Lawrenceville and Cummings locations so we we're thrilled with that.

Proximity to the airport is actually important for me but we were told by a local friend that we should stay away from Southwest Atlanta due to crime. We're hestiant to be south of Atlanta at all because of that. From a post on another thread about South Fulton and Clayton counties bring crime ridden, that seems accurate?

We've found some houses that fit our list in Marietta, but found some comments online about Marietta not being what it used to be and that crime has moved up from Atlanta to Marietta so now we're hesitant to be in that area.

Petty crime doesn't bug me, what we're looking to stay away from (again, as would any sane person) are things like drive bys, burglaries, muggings, homicides, etc (ya know, the usual).

Driving into downtown daily may not be required for his job, so we're open to areas OTP, if he gets a job commutable to that area. We just want a place in our budget local to amenities we could drive 10-15 minutes to (a nice suburban downtown with restaurants would be nice). Don't know if I'm seeing that in the Cummings and Lawrenceville areas. Marietta area looks to have something like that, but folks (not on CD) are saying crime is creeping up?

We're hoping to have some feelers on the job front in the coming weeks but hope y'all can assist in guiding us in the right direction. Thank you again for everyone's response!!
I wanted to note that not all of South Atlanta is bad.

Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Newnan, McDonough, and Stockbridge are all very respectable suburbs and I don't think especially between Fayetteville, Peachtree City and Newnan that you will need to worry about crime and you will be MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to the airport than you can ever dream of in Cumming... Driving from Cumming to the Airport will not be easy. The only feasible route is GA-400..no alternatives WHATSOEVER that are worth considering...and GA-400 has bi-direcitonal rush-hour...meaning its backed up going BOTH WAYS during both morning and evening rush hour... I mean..if Cummings is a strong preference then go for it but... It's not like its a necessity to avoid crime.

If you didn't mind taking off some acres then you also have Smyrna and Vinings available to you as well as Marietta which will also put you decently close to the Airport and still within a respectable area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeforest4sure View Post
We just moved from Raleigh to GA. Please find a job first. The commute and road rage here is beyond reasonable...thought aggressive driving was only in the north.. really disappointed to see that down south...put your indicator on to change lane...o my goodness..you’ll be in for a surprise. Well enough of that rude shock..
If you think its bad here, you haven't seen anything till you drive in Texas... In Texas forget the road rules and just survive, thats pretty much how it works there.

Florida is also a pretty rough place to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or