U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 12:43 PM

7 posts, read 5,422 times

Advertisements

Hello, all,

We're looking to relocate to the Atlanta area and have been searching these threads for a while but haven't been able to pinpoint information that is applicable to us.

Background, married couple with a 4 year old who will be starting school in the fall. We currently live outside of Raleigh, NC but want to move to a larger city with more amenities and better schools. We have a house in the Raleigh area that we'll be renting until we figure out what location in and around Atlanta better suits us.

In terms of jobs, I work remotely so can be anywhere however my spouse will be needing to find a job once we get there. I understand that Atlanta traffic sucks and most will advise that we find a place close to where my spouse will be working. We appreciate that and agree but would like some ideas of places that will suit us first.

Since we'll be renting, we'll be looking to spend no more than 2k for rent. We'd like to be renting in the area we'd eventually purchase a home in (to create continuity for our child in school) so an area with homes under $450k is our goal. We'd be looking for homes with at least an acre of land.

As anyone else would like, low crime is key along with a great school district. We'd like to still maintain a commuting distance of under 45 min to downtown, Atlanta. We'd like access to bars, restaurants, kid friendly attractions, etc.

Please help us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,554 times
Let me first state that we are also in the process of relocating, so take my advice as an outsider who has looked extensively at Buckhead and East Cobb. My husband took a job that requires a daily commute to downtown.

I think you will have to prioritize your list: schools, under $450k, acre of land, 45" commute - as I'm fairly certain that full list is not doable.

For example, in our exhaustive real estate search this year, I think I only recall one house in East Cobb that had an acre. It was in Smyrna, $650k give or take, and the commute was closer to an hour.

You might want to take the most important factor and have that drive everything. Ours was commute of 30" or less. That limited us to inside the perimeter. Homes inside Buckhead have very small lots for anything $650k and under. We have 3 kids so most ITP houses under $650k are also quite small (<2000 square feet) for 5 people.

Just some things to consider as we found in Atlanta that there had to be a give & take of our ideal traits in a location.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:01 PM

5,357 posts, read 4,883,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyrules View Post
Hello, all,

We're looking to relocate to the Atlanta area and have been searching these threads for a while but haven't been able to pinpoint information that is applicable to us.

Background, married couple with a 4 year old who will be starting school in the fall. We currently live outside of Raleigh, NC but want to move to a larger city with more amenities and better schools. We have a house in the Raleigh area that we'll be renting until we figure out what location in and around Atlanta better suits us.

In terms of jobs, I work remotely so can be anywhere however my spouse will be needing to find a job once we get there. I understand that Atlanta traffic sucks and most will advise that we find a place close to where my spouse will be working. We appreciate that and agree but would like some ideas of places that will suit us first.

Since we'll be renting, we'll be looking to spend no more than 2k for rent. We'd like to be renting in the area we'd eventually purchase a home in (to create continuity for our child in school) so an area with homes under $450k is our goal. We'd be looking for homes with at least an acre of land.

As anyone else would like, low crime is key along with a great school district. We'd like to still maintain a commuting distance of under 45 min to downtown, Atlanta. We'd like access to bars, restaurants, kid friendly attractions, etc.

Please help us!
If you are looking to purchase a home on at least an acre of land for under $450k, you are more than likely going to be looking in areas that are going to be more than a 45-minute one-way commute to and from Downtown Atlanta.

Also, Atlanta (most likely even way more so than the spread-out Raleigh-Durham "Triangle" area of Central North Carolina) is a very spread out metro area/region with many (if not most) job opportunities not necessarily being found in Downtown Atlanta.

Atlanta has at least FIVE different 'Downtowns' where white-collar jobs are concentrated, including Downtown Atlanta itself, Midtown Atlanta, Buckhead (Atlanta's super-posh and super-ambitious Uptown District), Perimeter Center and Cumberland.

There are also many more significant concentrations of well-paying jobs in other areas like:

> The massive world-leading Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport about 10 miles south of Downtown...

> Emory University (Atlanta and Georgia's Ivy League-caliber private university)...

> Alpharetta/Cumming (a far-North metro suburban area along the extremely busy GA 400 freeway)...

> Kennesaw/North Cobb (a far-Northwest metro suburb)...

> Norcross/Peachtree Corners (a relatively close-in Northeast metro suburb along and west of I-85)...

> Duluth/Lawrenceville/Suwanee/Buford (far-Northeastern suburbs along the I-85 Northeast corridor in Gwinnett County)...

> Fulton Industrial Boulevard (a massive concentration of industrial property just a few miles west of Downtown Atlanta west of the I-20/I-285 West interchange)...

> Northlake/Tucker area of DeKalb County (a near-East/Northeast suburban area)...

> The I-985 Northeast corridor through the Buford, Flowery Branch, Oakwood and Gainesville areas in North Gwinnett and South/Central Hall counties...

> The I-20 East corridor through DeKalb, Rockdale and Newton counties...

> The Highway 6 corridor through South Fulton, Douglas, Cobb and Paulding counties...

> The Southern Crescent of suburbs along the I-85 Southwest, I-75 South, I-675 South corridors as well as in a southern suburban area like Peachtree City.

Atlanta is also home to a booming and massive Television and Film Production industry which has well-paying employment opportunities spread out through much of the entire Southern Crescent of the metro area including in Douglas, South Fulton, Coweta, Fayette and Rockdale counties.

Well-paying job opportunities are pretty much spread out over much of the 29-county Atlanta metropolitan statistical area on a road network that is widely considered to be inadequate in many areas.

The extremely dispersed nature of the job market and the inadequacies of the regional road network in the Atlanta metropolitan area are major reasons why newcomers like yourself are most often advised to first find the job before finding housing... 1) So that you will know where you will be commuting to and from for work each day in an Atlanta metro area/region that sprawls over an area of about 30-40 counties at its most expansive definitions and, 2) so that you can attempt to minimize as much as possible the amount of time that you will have to spend in Atlanta's notorious rush hour and peak-hour traffic congestion.

I know that there is traffic congestion in the Raleigh area (which has a regional population of over 2 million residents)... But the Atlanta area (which has a regional population of over 6.5 million) is a totally different ANIMAL when it comes to commuting and rush hour/peak-hour traffic congestion.

The advice to find the job first and the housing second is not advice that should be brushed off or lightly regarded.

Atlanta rush hour commutes can be long and punishing, sometimes even for people just driving a few miles on the metro's inadequate surface road network, but particularly for those with the misfortune of commuting over longer distances along major commuter routes during peak traffic hours.

Don't get ahead of yourselves in looking for housing before finding a well-paying job for your husband.

Find the well-paying job first and then look for the type of housing that you desire (under $450k on at least an acre of land in a great school district) in an area that will be as geographically convenient as possible to your husband's well-paying job.

You don't want to end up accidentally sticking your husband with a long and punishing, quality-of-life degrading rush hour/peak-hour commute that looked like a 45-minute one-way commute on paper/online but is actually a 2-hour plus commute each way in reality.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:10 PM

1,137 posts, read 471,693 times
I believe the MSA for Atlanta is around 5.7 to 5.9 million.
Over 6.5 I think is slightly exaggerating it... slightly.

Anyway the rest was spot on.

I don't know what your husband does for work because that also greatly impacts where he will likely be commuting to. If he's in IT for example it will be anywhere between Cobb, North Fulton, and Gwinnett. There are IT hubs sparsely scattered throughout the rest of the metro, including Downtown itself but most likely employment of that category will be had up there.

Traffic is horrible here. I won't sugarcoat it. You will 90% certain also have to commute to work.

As others have stated you aren't going to find anything with an ancre or more of land inside of I-285 or anywhere around it without paying a considerable sum of money.

For your desires, North Gwinnett, Forsyth and North Cobb counties sound like your best bet... Also Fayette County and south Henry would also work...but you will definitely be commuting from there.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:37 PM

5,357 posts, read 4,883,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I believe the MSA for Atlanta is around 5.7 to 5.9 million.
Over 6.5 I think is slightly exaggerating it... slightly.
6.5 million (6,555,956 to be exact) is the current (2017) population of Atlanta's 39-county CSA (Combined Statistical Area)... An expansive geographical area which includes such outlying areas as the Gainesville/Hall County MSA and the entire 4-county Athens MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) because of established heavy commuting patterns between those outlying areas and the 29 counties of the Atlanta MSA.

"Cumulative Estimates of Resident Population Change and Rankings: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2017 - United States -- Combined Statistical Area; and for Puerto Rico 2017 Population Estimates" (American FactFinder/US Census Bureau)
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Old 04-21-2018, 07:23 PM

28,101 posts, read 24,632,008 times
If you can get by with less than a full acre that will increase your options.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:07 PM

534 posts, read 313,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyrules View Post
Hello, all,

Please help us!
Top areas with great schools and low crime (this is very dependent on your husband's future commute):

I'd recommend East Cobb (Marietta). East Cobb has great schools, amenities, and low crime. You can look at the GA-400 corridor, but the traffic could be bad. Also due to traffic, you'd probably want to avoid Forsyth (Cumming) and Cherokee Counties (Woodstock) unless your husband gets a job in the GA 400 tech corridor.

East Cobb Suburbs (NW):
Walton, Pope, Lassiter (Marietta)

North Fulton Suburbs (GA-400)
Roswell, John's Creek, Alpharetta

Northeast Suburbs (Gwinnett)
North Gwinnett High (Suwanee, GA)
Parkview (Lilburn)
Brookwood (Snellville)
Peachtree Corners

Southside Options: (Close to airport)
McIntosh (Peachtree City)-40-1hr downtown
Starr's Mill (Peachtree City/Southern Fayetteville)-about 50-1hr to downtown
Whitewater (Southern Fayetteville)-about 50-1hr to downtown
Northgate (Newnan/Sharpsburg)-35-50 minutes to downtown

Old 04-21-2018, 09:23 PM

4,109 posts, read 3,400,520 times
You got great advice here that is quite thorough.
Unless your husband can afford to wait for a job close to where you live and it doesn't hurt you financially, you really should wait until he lands his job.
If the house is more important than what job he gets and how far he has to drive, then you can find many of the areas mentioned will give you a lot of what you want, but you budget limits getting you everything.
I don't know that you can get everything on you list, heck I don't think you left anything off a want list except for diversity and walkability. $450K will get you a comfortable house, not a fancy one with maybe up to a half acre. Bump up to $600k and now we're talking. I am in north Marietta that has most of what you want except for lot size and going to bars and clubs without driving a bit.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:50 AM

7 posts, read 5,422 times
I appreciate all the great advice I've received so far! I realize we're limited thus far since we don't know where my husband will be working just yet. He's got his resume out there. He's an accountant so he can work with any type of company which is why we felt we could try to figure out a location since home and schooling matter. This will be our home for at least the next 10 years (if not our "forever") home so that is why we have a few must haves we don't want to compromise on (my husband will not budge on the acre+ requirement).

We understand and further see that we're priced out of the nicer areas for what we want but did happen to find our wish list in the Lawrenceville and Cummings locations so we we're thrilled with that.

Proximity to the airport is actually important for me but we were told by a local friend that we should stay away from Southwest Atlanta due to crime. We're hestiant to be south of Atlanta at all because of that. From a post on another thread about South Fulton and Clayton counties bring crime ridden, that seems accurate?

We've found some houses that fit our list in Marietta, but found some comments online about Marietta not being what it used to be and that crime has moved up from Atlanta to Marietta so now we're hesitant to be in that area.

Petty crime doesn't bug me, what we're looking to stay away from (again, as would any sane person) are things like drive bys, burglaries, muggings, homicides, etc (ya know, the usual).

Driving into downtown daily may not be required for his job, so we're open to areas OTP, if he gets a job commutable to that area. We just want a place in our budget local to amenities we could drive 10-15 minutes to (a nice suburban downtown with restaurants would be nice). Don't know if I'm seeing that in the Cummings and Lawrenceville areas. Marietta area looks to have something like that, but folks (not on CD) are saying crime is creeping up?

We're hoping to have some feelers on the job front in the coming weeks but hope y'all can assist in guiding us in the right direction. Thank you again for everyone's response!!

Old 04-22-2018, 07:43 AM

4,109 posts, read 3,400,520 times
Well I'm surprised that you picked Cummings as it's pretty far out from downtown and the airport plus having very little clubs and nighlife.
I moved from a pretty safe area in California where the starter homes are just under a million to Marietta and have no issues with crime whatsoever. That's not to say you shouldn't be aware of what is around you, that's common sense for anywhere. You can be just outside the perimeter which puts you much closer to downtown in south Marietta than cumming if you look east of 75 off delk red about 2 miles. 450 will get you an older home about 2000 sq ft and 1/2 acre and everything else on your list. I lived there for 2 years and really liked it. In 15 minutes you can go to the Marietta square which is great for families. Or the Cumberland mall with shopping and food as well as the battery where there is even more as well as catch a braves game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or