Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM

46 posts, read 284,341 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are thinking of relocating to the Atlanta area, a suburb of Atlanta, not qute sure where yet, and wanted to see if someone can give me a very rough estimate on property taxes for a 250k home? We are debating on moving to GA or TX, and are trying to get a rough estimate of our expenses for both so we can weigh the differences.

Can you also tell me how much your utility bills generally run on about a 3000 sq ft house? I know it can vary based on area, but we are just looking on rough estimates, general ballpark. we plan on going with a new build, energy efficient.

Thanks!!!

Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 06:42 PM

85 posts, read 505,347 times
Property taxes vary substantially by county. A very rough "average" for a $250k house would be around $3,500/yr. or so.

Utilities can vary hugely as well. For comparison sake, our 4,500 sq. ft. house ran about $400/mo. in the coldest months and about $250/mo in the hottest months. In some spring and fall months, it would drop as low as $65/mo.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:34 PM

100 posts, read 429,435 times
I can speak for where I live.

In Cherokee county (North Metro), the property taxes average about 1% of your home's value, so you could expect to pay about $2500 on a $250k house.

As for utilities, I have a 3300sqft new house and my utilities range from a low of $130 in the hottest months, to $450 in January/February. A good year-round average would probably be about $225/mo.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:38 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Jamie
we are in the process of building a home in Cumming I called our Ins company to find out what the property ins will be. for a $325k home we will be paying $973 per year which is actually $50 a year more than we pay here in FL. I had to chuckle since Fl is suspose to be higher than Georgia, they said it was because of all the upgrades, granite,wood floors and stainless appliances. also what was interesting is if my home was not within 1000ft of a hydrant it would cost me $600 a year more, boy was I glad when I pulled out the pictures of our lot and saw one right across the street.
I have no iead on taxes I am still trying to find out if they have homestead, guess I am going to have to call the county and ask.
karla

Old 12-19-2006, 06:24 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
They do have homestead exemption in GA but there not gonna tell you about it...go to the tax assesors and fill out the form. You only have to do it once unless you move.

If you buy acreage be sure to buy over 10 acres to qualify for conservation. I have 10.18 acres and my tax bill that I'll be paying tomorrow was $93.54. I have a small double wide on it about 1120sqft. (I had planned on building but I'm moving). My utility bills run about 55-60 a month. GA power also has several programs you can sign up for that average your bills out...I know that helps for some folks.

I live in Jackson county out side of Jefferson and our property values have skyrocketed so I'm pleased since I'm selling out.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:11 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFL View Post
Hi! My husband and I are thinking of relocating to the Atlanta area, a suburb of Atlanta, not qute sure where yet, and wanted to see if someone can give me a very rough estimate on property taxes for a 250k home? We are debating on moving to GA or TX, and are trying to get a rough estimate of our expenses for both so we can weigh the differences.

Can you also tell me how much your utility bills generally run on about a 3000 sq ft house? I know it can vary based on area, but we are just looking on rough estimates, general ballpark. we plan on going with a new build, energy efficient.

Thanks!!!

Jamie
We're in Powder Springs in Cobb County. My taxes are about 2500 on a house assessed at 260K. Heat/cool can run as high as 200 or 250 per month. Those are the main utilities unless you plan to water your lawn during the growing season. Water bills can get high.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:55 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Gwinnett County area:
250K home will be in the 2200-2500 tax range
Insurance 500-700 range
Utility -
Jackson Electric - 9 cents per kilo
Georgia Power - ? but higher
Water Sewer - Depends upon family size, but figure 150 per quarter water /swr

Texas will be much higher in HO insurance due to Black Mold and property taxes due to lack of state income taxation. Ga has a 6% income tax on all income over 17k per annum. With deductions your net will average 4.75% - 5.50% overall

Hope this helps. Keep in mind these are ranges. All towns have their own gouging, plus family sizes in houses on utilities ie. teenagers.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:58 PM

22 posts, read 131,320 times
I've been told taxes are around 1% of your homes value (as assesed) if you are in city limits and half that if you are out.

I've found utilities here to be cheaper then in La. and insurance is about the same, except I don't have to carry flood

Old 01-12-2007, 03:10 PM

201 posts, read 983,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFL View Post

Thanks!!!

Jamie
Jamie , I live in South Florida , moving to The Woodlands Tx , near Houston and I can tell you that in Texas property taxes are much , much higher than in Atlanta and if you live in the Houston area utilities are brutal as well . You can expect to pay $ 300 - $ 400.00 a month in a 2,500 square foot home during the summer which is nearly eight months a year . Dallas & Austin enjoy slighly lower utility bills because the local utility companies are regulated by local government where in the Houston area they are not and are .... surprise higher !!

Property taxes are more than double what they are in Atlanta in any major city in Texas , and homeowners insurance is also slightly higher in Texas .

On the positive side the cost of homes is approximately 15-20 % lower in Texas and groceries , healthcare and fuel are about 5-6 % lower , plus Texas has no state income tax .

Old 03-16-2007, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 31,975 times
Hi, the property tax in the Dallas Tx area is 3% of the house.
Also home owner insurance is very expensive, it is around $300.00 a month.
I didn't mention the electric bill it is very expensive. It can run around $500.00 a month, and that is if you have a 2500 - 3000 square foot house.

I didn't mention the fire ants. They are out of control. they are too many of them. They even go in your house and then it is hard to get rid of. You can't even take your kids to the park without them crawling all over them.

Don't forget to pay your ticket that you may get from the police it doesn't matter what kind of ticket it is, you will get arrested if you don't pay it on time.
If you get a ticket for parking in front of a hotel for example. Expect to pay a $300.00 ticket. Even for a broken tail light, expect to pay a $200.00 ticket.

My husband complains about the big mosquito's. They don't just come out in the evening or right after it rains. They are out all day, bitting you.

It gets hot in Texas, in April the average temperture is 98 degrees. In the summer it is 110 degree. You have to put all of this into consideration before acutally moving somewhere. To have a cheap house is not all worth that if you are going to pay 3% in propery tax, a very high electric bill and a high home owner insurance. I suggest you go there for a couple of days talk to people and see if you like it or not.
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta