Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:15 PM

15 posts, read 14,624 times

Advertisements

My workplace is near the Airport and my wife might potentially get a job at Duluth. Looking at all the previous threads, I am going to assume that my commute is going to be a nightmare. Any suggestions on neighborhood(s) to look for?

I would like the commute for my wife to be around 20 minutes so she can drop and pick-up the kids. I am also looking for good school districts for my kids (elementary school). My housing budget is around 400-500K.

Due to my relocation benefits, I unfortunately do not have the time to do a rent first option to try some places for the commute times.

FWIW, we are software engineers and Asian-Indian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 12:32 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
This is nearly untenable for both of you + kids if you don't have a nanny or someone to pick up the kids. I'd say live on a MARTA line near me in Dunwoody and take the train - it's 45 minutes to the airport and maybe your employer has a shuttle from there or College Park. However, Duluth from Dunwoody is 45-60 minutes each way. You might try Chamblee and make it a tad better. If you want the absolute best schools etc, then you could sacrifice further and go up to John's Creek and drive down to Marta (30 minutes) and take the train and your wife would be a bit closer to work/daycare.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:43 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
Chamblee/Tucker/Northlake area

Going to the airport on 285 will be a reverse commute

Old 04-24-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
You might try Chamblee and make it a tad better.
Thanks for the suggestion. Chamblee does look like an option. Google map suggests 35 minutes to 1 Hr commute by car if I leave at 7:30, is that correct?

How about the school district? Is this comparable to John Creek or other good school districts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
If you want the absolute best schools etc, then you could sacrifice further and go up to John's Creek and drive down to Marta (30 minutes) and take the train
Is parking ever an issue at a Marta station

Old 04-24-2018, 12:57 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokertrax View Post
My workplace is near the Airport and my wife might potentially get a job at Duluth. Looking at all the previous threads, I am going to assume that my commute is going to be a nightmare. Any suggestions on neighborhood(s) to look for?

I would like the commute for my wife to be around 20 minutes so she can drop and pick-up the kids. I am also looking for good school districts for my kids (elementary school). My housing budget is around 400-500K.

Due to my relocation benefits, I unfortunately do not have the time to do a rent first option to try some places for the commute times.

FWIW, we are software engineers and Asian-Indian.
Take a look at the areas in the clusters/feeder zones for Parkview and Brookwood high schools in Gwinnett County.

Those areas feature neighborhoods with homes within your price range (of $500k and under) served by some of the best public schools in the entire Southeastern U.S. in the feeder zones for Parkview and Brookwood high schools.

The exceptionally highly-rated Parkview and Brookwood high school clusters also feature very high Asian Indian populations in areas that are probably as close as you will get to being equidistant between the Duluth area and the Atlanta Airport.

Your wife's commute to the Duluth area from this area will be shorter and easier than your commute to the Airport which will be longer but not necessarily as painful as other commutes can be in the Atlanta metropolitan area/region.

The clusters of schools anchored by Parkview and Brookwood high schools in south-central Gwinnett County are also probably your best options for finding really good schools in an area that will be located between your wife's job in Duluth and your job near the Atlanta Airport and that will not stick either one or both of your with the most miserable commutes to and from your jobs.

Your commute from that area (the Parkview/Brookwood areas) to the Airport will have its challenges, but it will not be anywhere nearly as severely challenging as a commute to the Airport from the I-85 Northeast, Georgia 400 North or the I-75 Northwest corridors might would be on many days.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Going to the airport on 285 will be a reverse commute
You are not kidding, the commute is way less the opposite direction. Will research into it

Old 04-24-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Take a look at the areas in the clusters/feeder zones for Parkview and Brookwood high schools in Gwinnett County.
Thanks for the suggestion, will look at it as well. Wish there was a train station nearby as a backup.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:18 PM

221 posts, read 189,888 times
Good schools are subjective, but Chamblee schools are not going to be comparable to those in John's Creek.

If you live in the Northern suburbs (e.g. John's Creek/Alpharetta), you'll be looking at 30 mins to get to the North Springs transit station. After that, taking the train all the way to the airport is going to be another 50 minutes or so.

Chamblee might be your best bet in your situation.

Is your workplace accessible from the airport MARTA station? If so, you can more or less live anywhere near a MARTA station and have a reasonable non-driving commute. Dunwoody comes to mind. Also, Peachtree Corners is known to have decent schools, you could drive to Doraville station and take MARTA to the airport.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Is your workplace accessible from the airport MARTA station? If so, you can more or less live anywhere near a MARTA station and have a reasonable non-driving commute. Dunwoody comes to mind. Also, Peachtree Corners is known to have decent schools, you could drive to Doraville station and take MARTA to the airport.
I have heard they have a shuttle, need to research on that. Dunwoody was one of the places I had in mind.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:44 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Brookhaven sounds like an area you should look at. However, because of the kids either you or your wife will have to do a trade off for the longer commute for all that you desire. IMO, I would rather be closer To Duluth as your option to the airport area becomes greater once you get closer to the city.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 04-24-2018 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta