U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 11:05 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,892,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Deliberately demolition of a neighborhood in it's entirety is different from preservation efforts.

Buttermilk Bottoms and other Urban Rewal sites should not have been destroyed and replaced with fortress style public buildings / highways / stadiums. But that does mean it needed to be preserved as-is. If the street grid and lot structure was maintained the private buildings could be redeveloped as many intown are.

But yes, we now have the gift of hindsight to say this. It is not so clear from the perspective of the 1950s.
dingdingdingdingding

BB was certainly not the only community to succumb to this fate. The Beacon, Decatur's historic black community, was also razed entirely for government housing.

The Beacon Community | City of Decatur, GA

Allen Wilson Homes was also razed and rebuilt a few years ago. It remains an integral part of the community at large.

Allen Wilson

Well, we're pretty far afield at this point. Any thoughts on the Civic Center?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 11:40 AM

27,725 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Deliberately demolition of a neighborhood in it's entirety is different from preservation efforts.

Buttermilk Bottoms and other Urban Rewal sites should not have been destroyed and replaced with fortress style public buildings / highways / stadiums. But that does mean it needed to be preserved as-is. If the street grid and lot structure was maintained the private buildings could be redeveloped as many intown are.

But yes, we now have the gift of hindsight to say this. It is not so clear from the perspective of the 1950s.
There were individuals sounding the alarm even back then. They constituted a minority but they should be recognized for their efforts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_renewal#Reaction

Old 05-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Anyway, allow me to redirect the thread back the original topic.
The photo of the front elevation is what piqued my interest in the possibility of preservation in the first place. Good examples of New Formalism architecture are apparently few and far between (NYC still celebrates Lincoln Center, another prime example), so I think a good case could be made for its rehabilitation.
And cq is absolutely correct in his assertion that the Superblock should be broken up. The building's formal entrance needs a proper approach.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:59 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Anyway, allow me to redirect the thread back the original topic.
The photo of the front elevation is what piqued my interest in the possibility of preservation in the first place. Good examples of New Formalism architecture are apparently few and far between (NYC still celebrates Lincoln Center, another prime example), so I think a good case could be made for its rehabilitation.
And cq is absolutely correct in his assertion that the Superblock should be broken up. The building's formal entrance needs a proper approach.
The facade of our Civic Center is clearly evocative of Lincoln Center.

If it's feasible to keep it I'd like to do so.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The facade of our Civic Center is clearly evocative of Lincoln Center.

If it's feasible to keep it I'd like to do so.

So glad you posted that pic, arjay. It's a great inspiration for what could be done for the approach of the ACC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or