U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 01:51 PM

110 posts, read 118,421 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we are shopping for a home priced $700k to $1 million in the Suwanee/South Forsyth/Johns Creek area. Currently we live off of Old Peachtree Road, the location is great, as is the neighborhood. We are just looking for a larger, nicer home in a top school district. My office is right off L-Suwanee road (exit 111), and having a < 20-minute commute is a priority.

We have looked at dozens of houses in St Marlo, St. Ives, Laurel Springs, Rivermoore, and River Laurel over the past few months, and so far our top choice is St Marlo, which is about 15-20 minute commute to work for me. I believe Lambert HS is already a great school that will get even better. An open floor plan is a must, so that's been holding us back on making any offers in current St. Marlo listings. St Ives has better schools and is closer to all the great Asian grocery stores and restaurants on Pleasant Hill, but it's farther from my office, and the taxes are higher. Laurel Springs feels a bit less "prestigious", and it's an additional 5 minutes from everything. Rivermoore and River Laurel pale in comparison to the aforementioned subdivisions, plus we don't want to buy a house at the top end of the subdivision.

Here are a few questions we have at the moment:

1. What do you guys think of St Marlo's future appreciation compared to Johns Creek and Suwanee?

2. How would you compare Lambert HS and North Gwinnett HS?

3. We have seen (online, not in person) a few really impressive homes in Edinburgh (Bear's Best) listed at attractive prices, but it seems that home value in Edinburgh has mostly been flat over the last 5 years (at least he high-end homes), while the other subdivisions have rebounded strongly. Any ideas why this is the case? Is it because of the location? Should we consider it or rule it out altogether?

Any other general comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. And if any of you St. Marlo homeowners are looking to put your house on the market, feel free to PM me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 02:10 PM

9,555 posts, read 8,616,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
Hi all, we are shopping for a home priced $700k to $1 million in the Suwanee/South Forsyth/Johns Creek area. Currently we live off of Old Peachtree Road, the location is great, as is the neighborhood. We are just looking for a larger, nicer home in a top school district. My office is right off L-Suwanee road (exit 111), and having a < 20-minute commute is a priority.

We have looked at dozens of houses in St Marlo, St. Ives, Laurel Springs, Rivermoore, and River Laurel over the past few months, and so far our top choice is St Marlo, which is about 15-20 minute commute to work for me. I believe Lambert HS is already a great school that will get even better. An open floor plan is a must, so that's been holding us back on making any offers in current St. Marlo listings. St Ives has better schools and is closer to all the great Asian grocery stores and restaurants on Pleasant Hill, but it's farther from my office, and the taxes are higher. Laurel Springs feels a bit less "prestigious", and it's an additional 5 minutes from everything. Rivermoore and River Laurel pale in comparison to the aforementioned subdivisions, plus we don't want to buy a house at the top end of the subdivision.

Here are a few questions we have at the moment:

1. What do you guys think of St Marlo's future appreciation compared to Johns Creek and Suwanee?

2. How would you compare Lambert HS and North Gwinnett HS?

3. We have seen (online, not in person) a few really impressive homes in Edinburgh (Bear's Best) listed at attractive prices, but it seems that home value in Edinburgh has mostly been flat over the last 5 years (at least he high-end homes), while the other subdivisions have rebounded strongly. Any ideas why this is the case? Is it because of the location? Should we consider it or rule it out altogether?

Any other general comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. And if any of you St. Marlo homeowners are looking to put your house on the market, feel free to PM me
Hi, Chengdu! I live in St. Marlo and really like the neighborhood. Lambert is a great school and home prices are appreciating. You can't go wrong here. I'll PM you...

Old 04-27-2018, 02:30 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,672,247 times
I know Suwanee is mostly a residential area, while Johns Creek is somewhat of a job center.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:36 PM

203 posts, read 78,059 times
Since you have the general area pretty much down the one thing I would say is to do some research into the people living in the communities of these particular neighborhoods and see if the community is something you would like to be apart of. You are pretty flexible since your commute is rather good and have a pretty high budget.

Also, Chengdu represent!

Old 04-27-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Since you have the general area pretty much down the one thing I would say is to do some research into the people living in the communities of these particular neighborhoods and see if the community is something you would like to be apart of. You are pretty flexible since your commute is rather good and have a pretty high budget.

Also, Chengdu represent!
Dude, if you were originally from Chengdu, then we have so much in common that it's scary. I went to grad school at Ann Arbor right before moving to Atlanta myself!

Old 04-27-2018, 02:51 PM

203 posts, read 78,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
Dude, if you were originally from Chengdu, then we have so much in common that it's scary. I went to grad school at Ann Arbor right before moving to Atlanta myself!
Was born there, but mostly grew up in Michigan and attended UM. My wife is 100% from Chengdu, even though I'm way better than her at handling spicy food.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:53 AM

98 posts, read 37,609 times
St Marlo is a great community and it has the same appreciation value as any area in North Fulton such as St Ives. Lambert High (500 on the National ranking provided by Us News) is exceptional! Although there are some overcrowding issues there right now, it will be alleviated when Denmark High opens next year. North Gwinnett is an exceptional school as well (334 on the National ranking) the home prices in Gwinnett I think though won’t appreciate as much as South Forsyth will. Lambert will become more academically competitive in the near future due to the huge growth of the Asian population (particularly Asian Indian) in the area. Elementary schools (Johns Creek) that feed into Lambert are over 65% Asian and the middle school that feeds into Lambert (Riverwatch) is 48% Asian. There are currently more Asian students at Riverwatch, Johns Creek and Settles Bridge then White students.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
St Marlo is a great community and it has the same appreciation value as any area in North Fulton such as St Ives. Lambert High (500 on the National ranking provided by Us News) is exceptional! Although there are some overcrowding issues there right now, it will be alleviated when Denmark High opens next year. North Gwinnett is an exceptional school as well (334 on the National ranking) the home prices in Gwinnett I think though won’t appreciate as much as South Forsyth will. Lambert will become more academically competitive in the near future due to the huge growth of the Asian population (particularly Asian Indian) in the area. Elementary schools (Johns Creek) that feed into Lambert are over 65% Asian and the middle school that feeds into Lambert (Riverwatch) is 48% Asian. There are currently more Asian students at Riverwatch, Johns Creek and Settles Bridge then White students.
That's very helpful, thank you! It makes sense to me that South Forsyth would have potentially better appreciation over Suwanee too; for one, most of the new construction in South Forsyth is priced pretty high-end.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:08 AM

908 posts, read 3,380,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Was born there, but mostly grew up in Michigan and attended UM. My wife is 100% from Chengdu, even though I'm way better than her at handling spicy food.
Seems there are quite a few of us who went to U-M and are in the South Forsyth area. Count me as one. Another poster here named Park is also one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or