U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 03:53 PM

2,124 posts, read 1,032,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I did this for a couple years during school and it wears on you. I barely touched 90 mins each way but it was frustrating either way. Most days, I would just stay at work later to avoid the heavy delays.

No way, I could have kept that pace up.

Hahah. That's what I do. Today I could have gone home early but it would have been rush hour by the time so I just decided to stay and do some work and procrastinate on city data forum. It does wear on you! It was enough to drive me crazy. Between the soaking rain and having to wait almost an hour for a bus (and that's just the start of the journey), it would drive anyone mad.

The other day work was being done on the 75 and though traffic was moving, I was so annoyed and it's like...how do people do that every day. If I were faced with that, I'd be making sure I am signed up for events after work or volunteering...anything but sitting in traffic and for what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 04:15 PM

4,907 posts, read 3,704,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Honestly, those with the 90 min+ transit commutes from the suburbs are likely the lucky ones. Many more do not even have that choice to take transit.
You're assuming they're even coming from the suburbs and aren't at least ITP or even within CoA limits.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:46 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,733,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Hahah. That's what I do. Today I could have gone home early but it would have been rush hour by the time so I just decided to stay and do some work and procrastinate on city data forum. It does wear on you! It was enough to drive me crazy. Between the soaking rain and having to wait almost an hour for a bus (and that's just the start of the journey), it would drive anyone mad.

The other day work was being done on the 75 and though traffic was moving, I was so annoyed and it's like...how do people do that every day. If I were faced with that, I'd be making sure I am signed up for events after work or volunteering...anything but sitting in traffic and for what?
The sad part was that I was almost home when I had to sit in the worst of the traffic on 285 due to 85.

Now, I just get frustrated when I get a couple lights red when I"m heading home these days in 20 minutes.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:55 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You're assuming they're even coming from the suburbs and aren't at least ITP or even within CoA limits.
True. Both need to happen but I'd still rank improving transit coverage inside the city limits a higher priority than expanding it further outward.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:58 AM

1,367 posts, read 1,570,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Remember this lady who spends 4 hours a day commuting by public transit? I'd suggest that's our typical super commuter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/b...ters.html?_r=0
Interestingly the focus of that article is on a lot of issues for the poor in the Atlanta area, transit not being one of them. The real problems are geography, affordable housing, access to jobs, segregation and as always with Atlanta sprawl. There is no way of guaranteeing that "flooding the zone" will reduce the travel times for those 100,000 commuters given how diffuse the job market is are as you are fond of saying.

Quote:
Her nearly four-hour round-trip stems largely from the economic geography of Atlanta, which is one of America’s most affluent metropolitan areas yet also one of the most physically divided by income. The low-income neighborhoods here often stretch for miles, with rows of houses and low-slung apartments, interrupted by the occasional strip mall, and lacking much in the way of good-paying jobs.

This geography appears to play a major role in making Atlanta one of the metropolitan areas where it is most difficult for lower-income households to rise into the middle class and beyond, according to a new study that other researchers are calling the most detailed portrait yet of income mobility in the United States.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Yeah...I remember one day I was driving in Atlanta during rush hour and I wasn't driving very far (less than five miles) but it took over an hour to get to where I needed to get to.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The sad part was that I was almost home when I had to sit in the worst of the traffic on 285 due to 85.

Now, I just get frustrated when I get a couple lights red when I"m heading home these days in 20 minutes.
When I was in NY I used to get mad if I had to wait five minutes for a train. Haha.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:12 AM

1,461 posts, read 330,127 times
I have read a few threads on the traffic situation and made some observations:

1. Those looking favorably toward more pedestrian, bicycle, and public transit are weighing it as one OPTION of many, to choose, at their discretion. No one really wants to be told they SHOULD walk, or they SHOULD bike. You WILL sweat in the summer. Changing out of sweaty clothes at work is not always an attractive option to everyone - plus, no showers at most employers!

2. Those complaining of long commutes at the VERY LEAST want to be able to be in their own, private, climate-controlled space during the long ride. In the year 2018, it's the least that someone can ask. For anyone who must maintain appearance standards for their job, commuting a long distance without having certain conveniences at hand makes it even more of a chore than it already is. Besides, a 90 minute car commute can turn into an inter-modal excursion of 2.5 hours or more.

3. I haven't seen it as bad in ATL yet as I have SFO, but there are some areas that people are just priced out of, even with no debt, no kids, and a full time, professional, degree-qualified job. As a commonly seen rule, apartment complexes tend to income-qualify renters at a 1-to-3 rent-to-income ratio. So, someone making $50,000 a year would qualify for a $1,388 per month apartment. Doable in a lot of areas (but certainly not all), but when it comes time to buy, one might need more than 20% down to keep mortgage payments within your approval range given housing prices a reasonable commute distance from their job.

Depending on your employer, they may have no problem securing a location midtown, close to high-rated lunch spots and shopping. The nature of the work in this building sets a part of the market range for salaries of the employees. If the jobs have relatively low salaries industry-wide, it was probably not a wise location choice on the company's behalf, except if the roles are customer-facing. (High end, but non-commissioned retail, i.e. Apple Store). That's a paradox by itself that I don't have the power to solve for everyone. I can only be resolve this by changing my org/employer or reducing the number of bedrooms I can afford by moving closer.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:29 AM

277 posts, read 89,026 times
The elephant in the room is that

1. Everyone assumes every job is in downtown/midtown or close to those areas and

2. No one will switch jobs which could theoretically be anywhere.

I’ve worked from Alpharetta to Morrow and in between.

I think people should RENT where their job is but BUY where they want to be.

I’d rather have the home I want in a location I like and drive further than buy a home close to work and either not like the area, not be able to really afford it, can’t afford anything nice there or wind up stuck there because my job situation changes and I bought.

Some people can be picky about where their jobs are. Most of us can’t, but we have some semblance of choice on where we can buy (mostly, if we can afford it) and it should be based on things well beyond your current job location unless you know you are going to be there a long while.

Last edited by Otakumaster; 05-16-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 05-16-2018, 12:28 PM

1,137 posts, read 472,343 times
I'm honestly not surprised.

But I will say 90 minutes on mass transit isn't as shocking or as difficult as you may think...

Here are a few commutes I used to do daily when I either didn't have a car, or my car was down:

https://goo.gl/maps/McSPBCjmgvm

and the second one was even harder... I spent about 6.5 hours a day just commuting too / from work.

https://goo.gl/maps/gxZ8CVGHxzn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta